[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Valentine's dinner

godtomsatan

I asked my husband to cook me a lobster dinner-if we can find live lobster around here. I thought I'd ask him to make some kind of rissoto. What's a good side veggie to go with lobster? What's a good rissoto?

FWIW, this may be a good year to skip the lobster. Because of the crazy cold weather, it's been a pretty rough season and guys have been holding lobsters for a while waiting to bend consumers over at Valentines day. I've never seen worse prices. To make it worse, when it comes to seafood, it's not even just about the prices as there is always an inverse ratio of quality to price. Scarcity is driving the price up and scarcity means that the big players (ie: large restaurants that buy a ton all the time) are going to get whatever good lobsters there are and poor saps like you and your husband are going to be stuck with what is left for a premium price.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if there is anything else you like to eat, you may want to go with it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been trying to come up with something to keep with tradition of my exotic deserts I make on V-day. Not having much luck. Essentially the requirement is somewhere in the recipe rum must be lit on fire.

I've done Carribean Bananas and some other thing (can't remember name and it was "eh" anyways). Anyone got some suggestions? Appreciate it.

Been trying to come up with something to keep with tradition of my exotic deserts I make on V-day. Not having much luck. Essentially the requirement is somewhere in the recipe rum must be lit on fire.

I've done Carribean Bananas and some other thing (can't remember name and it was "eh" anyways). Anyone got some suggestions? Appreciate it.

interesting...... rum and bananas go so well together.

other components:

lime

pineapple

guava

passionfruit

coconut

BTW, Balducci's is so <This word is why I am now banned>in overpriced!!!

Here is what I paid for my V-day ingredients:

Citterio Parma Prosciutto $7.99 per small (3 oz) package

Veal for scallopini $21.99/lb

Veal demiglace $6.29 for 1.5 fluid oz

Fresh fettucini $3.29/9 oz

Grated Parmigiano Reggiano (yeah, I know I shoulda grated myself...no time) $16.49/lb

Yellow squash (they didn't have enough zuccini) $2.99/lb

Zuccini $1.79/lb

Honeydew melon (yeah out of season but it smelled pretty good) $6.99

Dayum!

Edited by MojoMan

How 'bout coconut flan with rum poached pineapple. To begin with it is crazy simple and has exactly 5 ingredients total. You can light some rum and pour it over at the table. Let me know and I'll give you the recipe.

How 'bout coconut flan with rum poached pineapple. To begin with it is crazy simple and has exactly 5 ingredients total. You can light some rum and pour it over at the table. Let me know and I'll give you the recipe.

:D i was thinking of a cocnut custard with grilled pineapple with passionfruit/rum anglaise.

FWIW, this may be a good year to skip the lobster. Because of the crazy cold weather, it's been a pretty rough season and guys have been holding lobsters for a while waiting to bend consumers over at Valentines day. I've never seen worse prices. To make it worse, when it comes to seafood, it's not even just about the prices as there is always an inverse ratio of quality to price. Scarcity is driving the price up and scarcity means that the big players (ie: large restaurants that buy a ton all the time) are going to get whatever good lobsters there are and poor saps like you and your husband are going to be stuck with what is left for a premium price.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if there is anything else you like to eat, you may want to go with it.

Thanks for the tip. So what is another romantic main course to prepare?

Thanks for the tip. So what is another romantic main course to prepare?

Seared scallops come to mind. Same richness that one associates with lobster and is often well suited to the same accompaniments. We've been getting amazing scallops at least here in NC for a while now. Make sure you buy "dry pack" scallops. Most come packed in water and triphosphates (yummmy) which make them more plump, well that is, until you cook them, then they shrink up like little erasers. They obviously cost a bit more but considering that a 10-20 dry pack will cook up to the same size as a U-10 non-dry pack, it's hardly a premium.

Scallops and Asparagus are a great thought. In fact, I always associate asparagus with V-day because I'm from a somewhat mild climate area and asparagus is always the first new crop of the year. From the end of fall until about mid Feb, it was always pretty much greens. Since I ran a small bistro that was insanely seasonal, it got a little old by then but the first crop of asparagus always popped in the first or second week of Feb. Which was conveniently in time for Valentines day.

funny for the risotto i was thinking of a paella influence: saffron and seafood... or more simply a chive risotto for the lobster....ultimately would depend on how hubby makes it.

veggies could be asparagus and carrots.... boil/steam them until they are 75% cooked...... finish by sauteing in butter with minced shallot and garlic.

Sorry to steal this thread, but I thought this was important.

Bier, when did you start switch hitting?

Seared scallops come to mind.

yep...was think scallops and/or 10 count mexican white shrimp

Edit: i like incorporating different chocolates into my sauces... could do a filet with a razz/dark chocolate demi. could use scallops as an app with either a thinner white chocolate/chili cream sauce or champagne cive cream sauce

Edited by Bier Meister

Scallops are a great idea except we made a scallops dish together for our anniversary.

Any other ideas for a romantic meal? I guess I could go to the food network site and see what the celeb chefs are cooking up this week on their shows.

Fondue is always good eating, fun and romantic along with interactive :D

Scallops are a great idea except we made a scallops dish together for our anniversary.

Any other ideas for a romantic meal? I guess I could go to the food network site and see what the celeb chefs are cooking up this week on their shows.

yep...was think scallops and/or 10 count mexican white shrimp

Edit: i like incorporating different chocolates into my sauces... could do a filet with a razz/dark chocolate demi. could use scallops as an app with either a thinner white chocolate/chili cream sauce or champagne cive cream sauce

Last night was my anniversary. I took the wife to a place here in town called Simply Fondue. Not only was the food great, she's been raving to the other hens on the phone all day.

happy anniversary!

and sm, i hve a great fondue recipe if you like

happy anniversary!

and sm, i hve a great fondue recipe if you like

Thanks.

Don't I already use yours and skilly's wife's?

That place was great we had the fondue for an appitizer, then we fired all our meats at our table and then we had a chocolate fondue spread.

PM me your recipe just in case it isn't one of the ones I have if you don't mind.

use about 1 1/4 C dry white wine or champagne. throw in minced shallot. bring to a boil. add 5 oz of shreaded gruyere, 3 oz of shreaded appenzeller or emmantal, and 2 oz of large diced brie with rind removed.. melt. then add a slurry to thicken (3 tbs of lemon juice, 2 tbs corn starch mixed well).

i use diced apples, pears, sausage, crispy potatoes, bread for dipping

Edited by Bier Meister

use about 1 1/4 C dry white wine or champagne. throw in minced shallot. bring to a boil. add 5 oz of shreaded gruyere, 3 oz of shreaded appenzeller or emmantal, and 2 oz of large diced brie with rind removed.. melt. then add a slurry to thicken (3 tbs of lemon juice, 2 tbs corn starch mixed well).

i use diced apples, pears, sausage, crispy potatoes, bread for dipping

I think that's it. But just in cae, I printed it out and stuck that on the fridge. Thanks.

:D

Actually found something but that sounds really good. I didn't make on the boards in time to do it now though. Perhaps next year though. :D Thx for the suggestions.

Making:

Pureed Tomato Soup

Salmon Fillets, with Lentils, Steamed Beets, Couscous w/Raisins and Pine Nuts

Cherry Pie

:D

Giving myself a review:

I have a killer vegetable stock recipe I got from Mark Bittman that I let sit in the fridge for three days. It is absolutely rich and makes everything it touches better. Used it in all the dishes (except the Cherry Pie).

***** Tomato Soup was outstanding. I make some really great soups, I have to say.

**** 1/2 Cherry Pie was a wee too runny, but probably the best two crust pie I've made. Perfected the crust actually, just need to work on the inside stuff. More corn startch I imagine.

**** Couscous was cooked with dried apricots and pine nuts instead. Lots of butter, but some really great taste. Lentils and Beets were both tasty and well done.

*** 1/2 Salmon had to sit in the warmer a bit while the special lady friend sat in traffic. Came out tasty after cooking in a red wine and stock combo, but a little too overdone for my tastes.

I got plenty of leftovers.

We're going to Olives on Saturday cuz Valentine's Day dinner is always an overpriced pain.

On Wednesday, I'm cooking (as usual).

Fettucini Alfredo, veal marsala, and a nice veg I make (shredded zuccini cooked in butter and parmesan...I cook it until quite soft during the cold months...less cooked in the warm months).

Any ideas for a first course (easy since it's a weeknight)? She wanted a clear soup like a minestrone but the idea doesn't appeal to me that much.

GTS, I'll critique myself too.

Starter = proscuitto and melon (7 bucks at Balduccis) and mango. The melon was surprisingly good.

Fettucini Alfredo: Somewhat undersalted because I was worried about the addition of the parm

Veal Marsala: I hadn't used demiglace before. I ended up using somewhat too much for the amount of veal/sauce I made. It was fine but the sauce was a little heavier than I would have liked.

Zuccini dish: Perfect.

Overall grade = B+