[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brees Dislocates Elbow in Pro Bowl

max

This sucks. But on the plus side is it his non throwing arm. (edited because at first i didnt realize it was his non throwing arm)

Brees Dislocates Elbow

Story Tools:

Print Email Blog This

Associated Press

Posted: 47 minutes ago

HONOLULU (AP) - New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees dislocated his left elbow in the first quarter of the Pro Bowl on Saturday.

Brees, who throws right-handed, didn't break any bones.

Brees made the All-Pro team while leading the resurgent Saints to the NFC championship game, but was injured while throwing a fourth-down incompletion on the NFC's second drive at the NFL all-star game. The NFC starter went 2-of-7 for 23 yards in the scoreless first quarter.

Brees, who passed for 4,418 yards and 26 touchdowns this season to earn his second trip to the Pro Bowl, didn't return to the game - but coach Sean Payton wasn't likely to play his New Orleans star much beyond the opening quarter, anyway.

The All-Pro quarterback's injury seems unlikely to affect next season, but the threat of injury exists in any football game - even a low-key, halfhearted affair such as the NFL's all-star game.

"You can't go into any football game worrying about an injury, because that's when you get hurt," San Diego tight end Antonio Gates said earlier in the week. "You've just got to go out there and play your game and hope for the best."

Despite the ever-present threat, serious injuries are rare in the Pro Bowl - and even moderate injuries usually have at least three months to heal before most clubs open minicamps.

The most famous Pro Bowl injury didn't even occur during the game. New England running back Robert Edwards' career was ruined when he seriously injured his knee during a rookie flag-football game on the beach after his standout 1998 rookie season. Though Edwards attempted a comeback four years later, he ended up with the CFL's Montreal Alouettes.

Cincinnati receiver Chad Johnson then left the field hobbling after a collision with Atlanta's DeAngelo Hall late in the second quarter, but shook it off and played in the second half.

Indianapolis receiver Marvin Harrison used the only surefire technique for avoiding injuries in this exhibition: The new champion didn't play in the first half, watching from the sideline and wearing a Pro Bowl cap instead of a helmet.

Edited by max

Somebody is going to have to get a career ending injury in the game before the NFL finally gives it up. There is no reason to bring these guys back after a month of downtime to play a meaningless scrimmage.

They should just do an awards show IMO. Have a big event with a celebrity emcee and presenters, and announce the all star rosters, the MVP, Rookie of the year, comeback players, coach of the year and so on.

They could all bring out the hottie wives in full bling with a lotta skin showin'. I think it would be cool to watch. It would get higher ratings than the Pro Bowl that's for dam sure.

Somebody is going to have to get a career ending injury in the game before the NFL finally gives it up. There is no reason to bring these guys back after a month of downtime to play a meaningless scrimmage.

They should just do an awards show IMO. Have a big event with a celebrity emcee and presenters, and announce the all star rosters, the MVP, Rookie of the year, comeback players, coach of the year and so on.

They could all bring out the hottie wives in full bling with a lotta skin showin'. I think it would be cool to watch. It would get higher ratings than the Pro Bowl that's for dam sure.

Actually, they should take a cue from the other professional sports and play it somewhere besides Hawaii. :D

Hey...there ya go...

But what would really happen is interviews with Kurt Warner's wife and Donovan McNabb's mother. :D

:D Then I'd watch.

Or how about having the Pro Bowl be the game that they play over in London or Berlin or Madrid instead of a regular season game. So instead of having possible ramifications for the regular season (someone gives up a home game, two short weeks of preparation because of overseas travel time, having to recover from jet lag) let the Europeans enjoy a meaningless game, and the players still get a free vacation.

Or how about having the Pro Bowl be the game that they play over in London or Berlin...let the Europeans enjoy a meaningless game, and the players still get a free vacation.

The players don't want to go to Hawaii in February, I can't imagine them being fired up over a trip to London or Berlin in dead winter.

Good thing it's his non-throwing elbow. The Pro Bowl is stupid. I only watch it because it's the last football I'll get to see until August.

Ya know, as fantical as I am abot the NFL, I have never, ever watched this game in it's entirety. Even as a kid the game seemed half a$$ed and worthless and I would turn it off after a quarter or two. As an adult it's even worse as I recognize most players in it are only there becuase they a national names and not necessarily who deserved to be there, and that many players often drop out before the game even starts. Top all this with the notion of the NFL squeezing another game out of it's players so they can market it at the expense of their health and career (Robert Edwards, again) and I don't even put it on for a single series of plays.

What I want to know is why Suggs threw himself into Brees' knee like that. This is supposed to be a meaningless game and judging by this clip it looked to me like he was trying to take him out. I realize this is only a short clip, but there's no way you can tell me that this hit was anywhere close to necessary.