[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

a way to make the Pro Bowl more exciting

dabuffbills

I heard a good idea on the radio while driving home last night. Ditch the game itself, name the team, have them assemble in Hawaii as usual and just have a whole bunch of skills competitions like they used to in the 70s. Honestly, would you be any less likely to tune that in than watch a bunch of guys playing half-assed.

It's a simple fact, football requires contact. Unlike hoops where the game can be somewhat entertaining even though guys aren't really playing D (hell Warriors and Suns games are basically like that anyway). Baseball you can play exactly the same way you do a regular game. Football, however, is lame if guys aren't getting at it.

You could have linemen doing strong man competitions, QBs doing passing contests, RBs and WRs doing obstacle courses, stuff like that.

Hell, you could have guys there that don't even compete in the games, just glad-handing fans.

I heard a good idea on the radio while driving home last night. Ditch the game itself, name the team, have them assemble in Hawaii as usual and just have a whole bunch of skills competitions like they used to in the 70s. Honestly, would you be any less likely to tune that in than watch a bunch of guys playing half-assed.

It's a simple fact, football requires contact. Unlike hoops where the game can be somewhat entertaining even though guys aren't really playing D (hell Warriors and Suns games are basically like that anyway). Baseball you can play exactly the same way you do a regular game. Football, however, is lame if guys aren't getting at it.

You could have linemen doing strong man competitions, QBs doing passing contests, RBs and WRs doing obstacle courses, stuff like that.

Hell, you could have guys there that don't even compete in the games, just glad-handing fans.

They do the skills competition already - they would just need to ditch the game...

What if the only plays used in the Pro Bowl were trick plays? I was kind of dissappointed that there weren't that many trick plays on Saturday. I think it would help boost the ratings, what do you think?

I think they should have Texas Tech's Mike Leach coach against Boise State's Chris Peterson every year.

All all-star games suck. I don't understand why people will watch them if the players themselves could give a rat's arse about the outcome.

Just name the all-league teams, put it in a press release, and be done with it. I'd rather watch paint dry - the outcome is more exciting.

The same goes for hockey. I love and watch the skills competition, but the game itself is boring with no hitting involved. What about for the Probowl just eliminating punts. You have to go for it wherever you are on the field. That way an extra player could make the team. Maybe even eliminate FGs too. Have to go for 2 after TDs and adopt the college overtime of starting from the opponent's 25.

the game would probably end 10-7.. when a team expects a trick play, the play is pretty much done for from the snap. theres really nothing to do. basketball and baseball are the only all start games worth watching. i know there are a lot of anti-nba and anti-mlb people on this board.. but it is the truth.

The same goes for hockey. I love and watch the skills competition, but the game itself is boring with no hitting involved. What about for the Probowl just eliminating punts. You have to go for it wherever you are on the field. That way an extra player could make the team. Maybe even eliminate FGs too. Have to go for 2 after TDs and adopt the college overtime of starting from the opponent's 25.

i agree with you on the hockey all-star game. I always watch the skills competition, but the game itself is never very exciting

if you read above, i said not on every down, but a few times every drive. Anything to make it at least a bit more exciting than it already is

I like the idea of trick plays, but if you were expecting a trick play on every down and then the other team didn't do a trick play, THAT in itself would BECOME a trick play -- in a weird sort of way -- so, in essence, it could indeed be a trick play on every play ... sort of ... :D

Ah, heck, just bag the stupid all-star game if the players aren't going to go all out. :D

Better yet, play it mid-season and let whichever league wins, their conf champ hosts that year's superbowl! :bash:

I think they should have Texas Tech's Mike Leach coach against Boise State's Chris Peterson every year.

:D

Glad I saw that one before the gun comes out.

Of course, now I thinking of getting mine out.

:bash:

I get enough of Leach throughout the season. :D

All all-star games suck. I don't understand why people will watch them if the players themselves could give a rat's arse about the outcome.

Just name the all-league teams, put it in a press release, and be done with it. I'd rather watch paint dry - the outcome is more exciting.

yep

A potential expansion city might make sense, but I still like New Orleans for obvious reasons. :D Part of the problem I see with the Pro Bowl game is a less than enthusiastic crowd in attendance.

Now that the Arena Bowl is going to N.O. this year, the Pro Bowl could go to Vegas. I like the idea of a different non-football city each year though.

Now that the Arena Bowl is going to N.O. this year, the Pro Bowl could go to Vegas. I like the idea of a different non-football city each year though.

If attendance of Saints games in Baton Rouge (huge football town) is any indication it might not work. At least if you pick a NFL or potential expansion city you get more appeciative and knowledgeable fans attending the game.

Play it in a mainland city without an NFL team. Let them go to Hawaii on their own dime.

The Pro Bowl was moved to Hawaii in the late 1970s for the reasoning that more players would attend. It rotated prior to that and there were more players who opted not to play for the location back then.

Edited by Big John