[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wine Recommendation

Footballjoe

I have always heard wine is good for the heart. Since I do no drink wine I was thinking about purchasing a bottle and giving it a try. I have now idea what to get. I don't think I would want anything to sweet but a little sweetness would be nice. I would appreciate any recommendations.

I have always heard wine is good for the heart. Since I do no drink wine I was thinking about purchasing a bottle and giving it a try. I have now idea what to get. I don't think I would want anything to sweet but a little sweetness would be nice. I would appreciate any recommendations.

i understand a glass or so of red daily is supposed to be good, but i frequently see research changing. what are your positive experience with white, red, and rose......... and what hasn't been to your liking?

sundaynfl brought up a nice intro wine the other day: caymus conundrum. some reds that migh be easiest to jump into are merlot and chianti.....

i understand a glass or so of red daily is supposed to be good, but i frequently see research changing. what are your positive experience with white, red, and rose......... and what hasn't been to your liking?

sundaynfl brought up a nice intro wine the other day: caymus conundrum. some reds that migh be easiest to jump into are merlot and chianti.....

I havn' tasted wine in 25 years. I remember not liking it much but I use not to like some things that I love now. I figured on giving wine another chance.

My Italian grandmother used to drink a glass of chianti once a day and she lived to be 97! I'm no wine lover myself so Bier is the man to ask.

My Italian grandmother used to drink a glass of chianti once a day and she lived to be 97! I'm no wine lover myself so Bier is the man to ask.

we have a lot of lot of knowledgable winos among us...... i'm sure they will offer their :D shortly.

also,i think that bonny doon offers a nice intro lineup.... their desserts wines are fantastic and i often pair them with my foie gras appetizers.

Edited by Bier Meister

we have a lot of lot of knowledgable winos among us...... i'm sure they will offer their :D shortly.

also,i think that bonny doon offers a nice intro lineup.... their desserts wines are fantastic and i often pair them with my foie gras appetizers.

Big fan of the Le Cigare.

Footballjoe, man, I don't really know where to point you, There's a thread at the top of this forum that I've put together that list some wines that everyone likes so check that out.

If you're just starting out, I would suggest the big six which are always a good way to start out if your just getting into wine:

Riesling

Sauvignon Blanc

Chardonnay

Pinot Noir

Merlot

Cabernet Sauvignon

Big fan of the Le Cigare.

Footballjoe, man, I don't really know where to point you, There's a thread at the top of this forum that I've put together that list some wines that everyone likes so check that out.

If you're just starting out, I would suggest the big six which are always a good way to start out if your just getting into wine:

Riesling

Sauvignon Blanc

Chardonnay

Pinot Noir

Merlot

Cabernet Sauvignon

I'm a noobie. The six pack sounds good. :D I mean the big six. That will be a good starting point. Thanks

You might want to try some wines from various winemakers' low tier (for lack of a better term) lines of wines. Often these will be relatively straightforward, fruit-forward, and inexpensive (and, as such, a nice place to start):

The Columbia Crest Two Vines wines offer an inexpensive (but respectable) introduction into wine.

Chateau Ste. Michelle's Columbia Valley line of wines does the same.

You also might want to open up a couple of different wines and taste them at the same time so that you can compare them and see what you like and what you don't like.

(If you have any friends that might want to try wine like this, throw a party and tell everybody that they have to bring a bottle of wine that costs under $10--then you can sample a lot of different wines at once.)

A lot of larger liqour/wien stores often have sales reps at their stores handing out free samples. I would suggest calling some of the larger liqour stores in your area and ask if they ever have tastings. It may give a better idea of what you like. Bier mentioned some great starter wines, try a Chianti or Merlot with some red sauce Italian food and you may enjoy it more than just drinking it by itself...

Grapes have a substance called resveratrol (sp??) that protects the plants from fungus... this has been shown to show anti cancer benefits, anti inflammatories and decrease bad cholestrerol while increasing the good. Also shown to help prevent alzheimers... The funny thing is that resveratrol is similar to synthetic Estrogen... :D If you end up not liking red wien, you could always eat more red grapes. But you may not get the same benefit of the high levels of polyphenols found in Red wien that have a huge anti-oxidant effect.

The reason that red wien has more benefit than whites is that they spend more time in contact with the skins while fermenting.

:D

From a health standpoint, the guys here in NC claim that wines made from Scuppernog and Muscadine contain the highest levels of revesterol (again sp?). The good news for you is that they are also typically sweeter than classic vinifera grape wines (basically all the grapes one typically associates with wine). So if wine is not your thing, this might do the trick.

The main producer down here is Duplin and if you're avitar is any indication you might not be too far away to find some.

I, for one, am not into the stuff so much but I'm a freaking snob.