[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings Speculation

Savage Beatings

Listening to KFAN this afternoon, and the resident FF expert is on the air speculating that the Vikings may have an interest in trading for David Carr. :D

I sent him an e-mail asking about the source of this speculation and the reply was:

I'm pulling together two nuggets:

1) Hou will likely release Carr, which is widely reported.

2) Childress saying that they're not going after a free agent QB, which suggests a trade is a possibility.

I have to say, that while Carr definitely had his struggles in Houston, I really like the idea of bringing him in to Minnesota. He would finally be behind a decent O-line, and maybe he's one of those guys that is just waiting for a change of scenary to really be able to blossom. It certainly would be better than Brooks Bollinger.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i still think the guy has a great chance to be a good QB. can HOU really think they'd be better off with jake plummer? i guess we'll find out.

LOL, if Plummer was THAT bad in Denver last year, I can't imagine how bad he'll be in Houston. :D

Carr might not be a bad stopgap in DET. But he's not a long-term solution.

HOU's O-line has definitely been bad, but he regressed big-time in the second half of last year. And that was with an experienced Andre Johnson AND Moulds. I've given up on this guy. He's Joey Harrington II.

I have similiar feelings that Carr regressed at the end of last year, but I seriously think Carr spent more time on his A$$ than he did throwing passes. He might turn into something behind a decent O-Line.

Granted, I'm not saying I'd draft him as my primary QB next year, but I'd take a flier on him late and watch.

Sacks

He was sacked 249 times during his 5 seasons with Texans, thanks to Texans one-of-worst offensive line. In his rookie year, he was sacked 76 times, NFL record for most sacks in a season. In 2006 season, he was sacked 41 times.

Career statistics

NFL

Passing Rushing

Season Team GP Comp Att Pct Yds TD INT Rate Att Yds TD

2002 Houston 16 233 444 52.5 2,592 9 15 62.8 59 282 3

2003 Houston 12 167 295 56.6 2,013 9 13 69.5 27 151 2

2004 Houston 16 285 466 61.2 3,531 16 14 83.5 73 299 0

2005 Houston 16 256 423 60.5 2,488 14 11 77.2 56 308 1

2006 Houston 16 302 442 68.3 2,767 11 12 82.1 53 193 2

Totals 76 1,243 2,070 60.0 13,391 59 65 75.5 268 1,233 8

I have similiar feelings that Carr regressed at the end of last year, but I seriously think Carr spent more time on his A$$ than he did throwing passes. He might turn into something behind a decent O-Line.

Granted, I'm not saying I'd draft him as my primary QB next year, but I'd take a flier on him late and watch.

Carr's situation was similar to Harrington's in DET (good skill-position players, bad line) and Harrington continued to suck when he moved to MIA (good skill-position players, decent line). I'll reserve final judgement until Carr's line situation changes, but at this point I think that he's a Harrington-like high-first-round bust.

Carr has been in the league for five years and hasn't produced at all. Bad line or not, he needs to step up and produce at some point. Eil plays behind a line that struggles to pass-block and has done a hell of a lot more.

Carr's situation was similar to Harrington's in DET (good skill-position players, bad line) and Harrington continued to suck when he moved to MIA (good skill-position players, decent line). I'll reserve final judgement until Carr's line situation changes, but at this point I think that he's a Harrington-like high-first-round bust.

Carr has been in the league for five years and hasn't produced at all. Bad line or not, he needs to step up and produce at some point. Eil plays behind a line that struggles to pass-block and has done a hell of a lot more.

Eli had better weapons, including one of the best rb's in the league. and a better line for that matter.

Agreed on that point. If he does go somewhere with a good line, he will need to step up to the plate. If not, he'll end up being a career backup.

My problem with Jackson is probably going to open up a can of worms, but I have to mention it. I don't see how this kid will be able to command any real sense of confidence, unless he is really, really good. To hear him speak and try to communicate his thoughts is excruciating. This is not a racist thing...it is a communication thing. I felt that way about Tice as a coach, I feel that way about Bush as a President, and have felt that way about others. I put too much credence in how a person communicates when they are in charge of motivating people - and that is what a QB has to do. Admittedly, if he can merely call a play in the huddle, and react under pressure, that may be enough. I sincerely hope it is...I love what I see in some ways with him, he is an athletic specimen to be sure. Throws a good ball. And seems to be a genuinely good guy so far. I'm sure his communication skills will improve with time, but they will really have to.

yeah, right. Burress and shockey versus AJ. Moulds was basically nonexistent and they have noone else.

plus Barber as an option out of the backfield

Good point. I don't know what happened to Moulds, but he completely disappeared after a few weeks.

Still, Carr had a couple years with Andre Johnson and Dom Davis. That's not exactly chopped liver for skill-position talent.

To hear him speak and try to communicate his thoughts is excruciating. This is not a racist thing...it is a communication thing. I felt that way about Tice as a coach, I feel that way about Bush as a President, and have felt that way about others. I put too much credence in how a person communicates when they are in charge of motivating people - and that is what a QB has to do. Admittedly, if he can merely call a play in the huddle, and react under pressure, that may be enough.

I recall one of Favre's former teammates (it might've been Sterline Sharpe) comment on how they couldn't understand Brett's play-calling through his thick southern accent at first. :D

My problem with Jackson is probably going to open up a can of worms, but I have to mention it. I don't see how this kid will be able to command any real sense of confidence, unless he is really, really good. To hear him speak and try to communicate his thoughts is excruciating.

I recall one of Favre's former teammates (it might've been Sterline Sharpe) comment on how they couldn't understand Brett's play-calling through his thick southern accent at first. :D

Not to mention that Peyton Manning is one of the most Goober sounding hayseeds in the League... but he's done alright for himself. :D

I do find it hilarious that half of the vikes fans are giving up on a kid after a few games....is that what the NFL has come to : put him in right away, and if he sucks, find the next guy?

I know it's a win now, what did you do for me the last 5 minutes league, but are the fans at that stage as well - I hadn't thought so, but between the Vikes on Jackson, people ready to give up on Caddy down here in Tampa, the Philly sentiment being to throw Reid and McNabb out (i find that unbelievable), some Pitt fans saying "yea, it was time for Cowher to move on anyway" all of a year removed from the SB, and any Patriots fan questioning their team in any way which i keep seeing....it's just kinda wild that i swear the free agency world in sports has translated to fans in a "wait on development???? NEVER"

Oh, and as far as Jackson lacking respect from his teammates cause of the way he talks - I have four words for you : Jeff Garcia Pro Bowl (back with San Fran with the lisp). Speakign of, I'm convinced Garcia used his downtime (you know, when he was with Cleve/Detroit) to hire a speech coach - he lost his lisp entirely and now actually sounds like a guy.

Good point. I don't know what happened to Moulds, but he completely disappeared after a few weeks.

Still, Carr had a couple years with Andre Johnson and Dom Davis. That's not exactly chopped liver for skill-position talent.

i think there's a big difference between having 1 good downfield receiving option and 2 (or 3). With 1, if he's covered, you're toast. Factor in no time to throw and you're burnt toast. I'm not saying Carr's the 2nd coming of Tommy Maddox in his prime. I do think he's worth giving a shot to, in the right circumstance.

I do find it hilarious that half of the vikes fans are giving up on a kid after a few games....is that what the NFL has come to : put him in right away, and if he sucks, find the next guy?

I don't know that people are giving up on Tarvaris Jackson (I know I haven't)... but he seems to be the kind of kid who needs a few years to develop and learn the ropes of the NFL before being able to play to his potential without seriously hurting the chances of the rest of the team.

Personally I like Jackson a lot. Doesn't mean I think he should start this coming season.

My problem with Jackson is probably going to open up a can of worms, but I have to mention it. I don't see how this kid will be able to command any real sense of confidence, unless he is really, really good. To hear him speak and try to communicate his thoughts is excruciating. This is not a racist thing...it is a communication thing. I felt that way about Tice as a coach, I feel that way about Bush as a President, and have felt that way about others. I put too much credence in how a person communicates when they are in charge of motivating people - and that is what a QB has to do. Admittedly, if he can merely call a play in the huddle, and react under pressure, that may be enough. I sincerely hope it is...I love what I see in some ways with him, he is an athletic specimen to be sure. Throws a good ball. And seems to be a genuinely good guy so far. I'm sure his communication skills will improve with time, but they will really have to.

Granted I haven't heard Tarvaris speak very much, but I think I have to call BS here. If you've seen/read Childress's comments as a coach he emphasis his "kick ass" system and how important communication is. He has time after time spoken about how Bevell and others need to speak the system as well as run it.

I doubt they would go hard after Jackson if they didn't think he could talk the talk as well as walk the walk.

QB is the most important position on the team, if we can upgrade that position it's never a wrong move. I am not sure if I am sold on bringing a free agent like Carr in. TJack was drafted towards the end of the of the second round almost third round so its not like we have a lot invested in this kid. I want a franchise quarterback that will be around for 10-15 years. (Favre, Brady, Manning, McNabb etc..) This team needs a franchise QB and a idenity on offense. I am sick of the year to year quarterback. I believe we should get this player through the draft. There is nothing wrong with drafting Quinn and still having TJack on the roster. Nothing wrong with depth...Our odds are twice as good of getting a good QB for the future whether it be Quinn or TJack as our starter.

QB is the most important position on the team, if we can upgrade that position it's never a wrong move. I am not sure if I am sold on bringing a free agent like Carr in. TJack was drafted towards the end of the of the second round almost third round so its not like we have a lot invested in this kid. I want a franchise quarterback that will be around for 10-15 years. (Favre, Brady, Manning, McNabb etc..) This team needs a franchise QB and a idenity on offense. I am sick of the year to year quarterback. I believe we should get this player through the draft. There is nothing wrong with drafting Quinn and still having TJack on the roster. Nothing wrong with depth...Our odds are twice as good of getting a good QB for the future whether it be Quinn or TJack as our starter.

The Vikings had their chance last year to grab a franchise QB in Cutler or Leinart and refused to give up enough to move up to get him. Then they gave up TWO 3rd round picks to get Jackson. It just doesn't seem right to now waste those picks which could have been used for some quality depth/starters and throw it away by spending a first rounder on a QB without even seeing what they have in Jackson. Doing so again would avoid dealing with the biggest hole on the team - WR.