[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings Speculation

Savage Beatings

The Vikings had their chance last year to grab a franchise QB in Cutler or Leinart and refused to give up enough to move up to get him.

So what exactly did we refuse to give up? What is your evidence that we could have moved up but refused to. Are you aware we made an offer? How do you know we didn't and it was turned down? What facts do you have to make this complaint?

I would have loved to get one of those guys too. But I am not aware of any offer on the table we could have taken to make one of these moves.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Vikings had their chance last year to grab a franchise QB in Cutler or Leinart and refused to give up enough to move up to get him. Then they gave up TWO 3rd round picks to get Jackson. It just doesn't seem right to now waste those picks which could have been used for some quality depth/starters and throw it away by spending a first rounder on a QB without even seeing what they have in Jackson. Doing so again would avoid dealing with the biggest hole on the team - WR.

Maybe the tried to move up and the asking price was too high. The problem is there will not be a WR at #7 to take. We can make make a panic pick like we did in 2005 and draft a guy that should have been drafted mid round. Good teams get better by drafting the best players. I just don't like the idea of bringing Carr or anybody else in. I would rather have Jackson start to see what he has, but if you have to sit Jackson for 2-3 years to groom him before he starts, he is not that good. Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Cutler are all starting. I am sure Quinn would be able to start also.

Granted I haven't heard Tarvaris speak very much, but I think I have to call BS here. If you've seen/read Childress's comments as a coach he emphasis his "kick ass" system and how important communication is. He has time after time spoken about how Bevell and others need to speak the system as well as run it.

I doubt they would go hard after Jackson if they didn't think he could talk the talk as well as walk the walk.

If you feel the need to call BS, then by all means do it. Not sure why the need to label my concern, which I mentioned I had hoped to not be the case, but if it makes you feel better, great.

I have seen and heard Childress's comments as a coach. Both of them, for crying out loud. I would agree that they probably felt like he could talk the talk. In the Childress regime, talking the talk essentially means "I don't want to get into that right now, Paul." I think the kid can probably handle that.

But to hear Jackson speak about running the team...what I heard last year causes me pause. I like the kid, what I know of him, and I think he has a good looking upside. Just looking at the big picture while we are entertaining all angles of improving this team.

I'm also not sold on Brady Quinn, although he has the athletic tools for the job, and had a great mentor as a head coach. Familiar with the team, as the Irish starting TE came from our home town, and had good things to say. But Quinn's inability to win from behind, considering his "schooling" is something to consider with an investment in cash and draft position one year after making such a move to get Jackson. I dunno.

What turned me off on Jackson last year was when the media asked him if he was ready to be a starter after a game in which Johnson got hurt. Jackson says - No I don't think I am ready...What does that say about his confidence?

I am pro Brady Quinn if he is there at 7. If he is not - so be it, we start Jackson next year.

Edited by Outshined

It sounds like you are all wanting to pick a fight.

Anyplace, anytime. :D:D

I'm just hoping for some spark on offense this year. I don't care how it happens, just get it done.

No...it's not the first time you've bitched that the current management "refused" to try and trade up to get Cutler last year. I'd like to hear what you base that on. If you're simply disappointed that they didn't, fine, so am I. But I won't turn that into some false claims just to satisfy my need to piss and moan.

No...it's not the first time you've bitched that the current management "refused" to try and trade up to get Cutler last year. I'd like to hear what you base that on. If you're simply disappointed that they didn't, fine, so am I. But I won't turn that into some false claims just to satisfy my need to piss and moan.

Ok ok you win. I don't have inside info about attempts. I thought I read somewhere they tried but didn't offer enough. Obviously, someone was willing to trade down as that's how Denver got Cutler. I'm not giving up on Jackson yet. I think he has alot of potential. I'm just hoping the draft this year has a lot more of an impact than last year's did. I also hope they don't make an inexplicable move like they did to grab Cook so early last year. And it didn't help that our 1st rounder got hurt right away and didn't see playing time in 2006.

Here's hoping we're both happy with the 2007 draft.

So if it comes to these choices...

A. Start seson with TJack and Bollinger

B. Draft Quinn

C. Trade 1st and 3rd rounders for Schaub

D. Trade 3rd or 4th round pick for Carr.

I pick D.

Without a doubt.

If I was a Viking fan I would be very happy to be getting Carr.

Carr will be able to get 2 to 3 more seconds per pass to find players downfield and I would expect him to flourish there.

B. Draft Quinn

I pick D.

yeah, makes an awful lot of sense.

as an aside, i still cannot fathom why people seem to be high enough on schaub to even consider giving up that kind of value for the guy. it's not his physical tools...dude's got the mobility of drew bledsoe and the arm strength of brian griese. it's not his performance backing up vick -- for his career, 84/161 (52.2%), 6 TDs and 6 INTs. fer chrissakes, even the aj feeley love (when the dolphins gave up a second rounder for him), as stupid and irrational as that was, made a million times more sense than the schaub love going around now. a first rounder for that stiff??? :D

yeah, makes an awful lot of sense.

as an aside, i still cannot fathom why people seem to be high enough on schaub to even consider giving up that kind of value for the guy. it's not his physical tools...dude's got the mobility of drew bledsoe and the arm strength of brian griese. it's not his performance backing up vick -- for his career, 84/161 (52.2%), 6 TDs and 6 INTs. fer chrissakes, even the aj feeley love (when the dolphins gave up a second rounder for him), as stupid and irrational as that was, made a million times more sense than the schaub love going around now. a first rounder for that stiff??? :D

Yeah, and guess which team has the braniac involved in the Feeley deal now in charge of their free agency? :D

So what exactly did we refuse to give up? What is your evidence that we could have moved up but refused to. Are you aware we made an offer? How do you know we didn't and it was turned down? What facts do you have to make this complaint?

I would have loved to get one of those guys too. But I am not aware of any offer on the table we could have taken to make one of these moves.

It's difficult to find information that doesn't say that the Vikings found what they wanted in TJax. Of course that is the company line you'd expect to hear.

Good ole' Fran Foley did have this to say however...

Vikings vice president of player personnel Fran Foley wasn’t exactly a fountain of information when asked if the team had attempted to move up in the first round to get quarterback Jay Cutler. The Vikings liked Cutler, but Denver worked a deal with St. Louis to grab him with the draft’s 11th overall choice. “To say that we didn’t call wouldn’t be fair to say, but to say that we had an interest to go way up in the draft to get him, I don't know that I would say that," Foley said.

link

B. Draft Quinn

I pick D.

yup i would be happy with that.... throw it to anyone who can catch

and they better not draft quinn, thinken he is going to be a leaf

Having bad WR's should not stop you from getting a QB if ya need 1 should it?

Minne IMO was the team with the worst QBing in the NFL last year. Tavaris Jackson is not even good enough to be a backup and they need to do something. I think Carr makes sense for Minne.

You really can't judge Jackson on 2 weeks of action...

When Jackson was drafted the Vikings front office said he was "project". The plan was to let him ride the bench for 2 years as he had tons of upside but was not ready to run a NFL offense yet. I am convinced that they thought they had at least 1 to 2 years left in Brad Johnson. The only reason TJ started last year was that Bollinger went down and everyone and their Grandma was begging to see the "kid". (BJ was getting booed everytime he stepped on the field). If you watched the games TJ played in last year you saw that he has a lot of physical tools but needs time to develop.

Carr is an interesting alternative to starting Bollinger or TJ. I would love to see what he coudl do behind an offensive line that would give him some time. As far as not having WR's, Brady has really never had great receivers and he has done alright! (not comparing Brady to Carr but you never know!!)

Steve Young looked horrible behind an awful TB line many years ago...the move to SF paid off. (Again not comparing the Vikings to the 49ers of the 80's but still....)

Once last point.... Childress needs to produce in 07 or his job is on the line. Does he really want to stake his future on an unproven QB?

Childress has already put a damper on taking on an aging veteran like Garcia since that plan didn't work well last season with Brad Johnson. Carr would be a great alternative to hoping that TJax is ready to play or waste away yet another season.

I'm not convinced that Childress knows how to model a piece of clay in the way that he refers to TJax. I haven't seen much of any kick ass offense yet, but a decent QB would be a start.