[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Path to the Draft to debut tonight on NFLN

Randall

Mayock, Davis taking fans down the Path To The Draft in new 50-episode series

(Feb. 12, 2007) -- Tonight, NFL Network debuts Path to the Draft, a 30-minute nightly studio show at 6:30 p.m. ET providing viewers in-depth analysis on prospective draft choices, plus breakdowns of each team's needs.

The new 50-episode series features renowned NFL draft guru and college football analyst Mike Mayock and college football expert Charles Davis alongside host Paul Burmeister.

From the first pick in the 2007 NFL Draft to "Mr. Irrelevant" (the final choice), don't be surprised by the names selected.

NFL Network is the place where football season never ends and from last month's exclusive coverage of the Senior Bowl to the upcoming Scouting Combine and NFL Draft, there is no better place on television to keep abreast of all the news and information relating to how each of the 32 teams are preparing for the 2007 season.

To kick off the 50-part series, Path to the Draft takes a detailed look at the offensive prospects from Monday, Feb. 12 through Friday, Feb. 16 (all times 6:30 p.m. ET).

Monday -- Quarterbacks

Tuesday -- Running Backs

Wednesday -- Wide Receivers

Thursday -- Tight Ends

Friday -- Offensive Linemen

In the debut episode, former Titans general manager Floyd Reese and Cowboys Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo will be in studio to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of each quarterback prospect, including JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn and Troy Smith.

Path to the Draft will continues with special live shows from the 2007 NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis on Thursday, Feb. 22, and Friday, Feb. 23.

Path to the Draft will resume its regular weeknight schedule on Thursday, March 1, to coincide with the start of free agency, and continue right up until the 2007 NFL Draft on April 28-29.

Path to the Draft also features interviews with NFL head coaches, general managers, and guest analysts dissecting potential NFL prospects and providing insight into which players best suit each team's needs.

Using coaching tape, along with exclusive Senior Bowl, NFL Scouting Combine and Pro Day workout footage, Path to the Draft provides the most comprehensive coverage of the 2007 crop of NFL rookies.

NFL Network airs seven days a week, 24 hours a day on a year-round basis and is the first television network fully dedicated to the NFL and the sport of football. For more information, log onto www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/home.

Mayock, Davis taking fans down the Path To The Draft in new 50-episode series

(Feb. 12, 2007) -- Tonight, NFL Network debuts Path to the Draft, a 30-minute nightly studio show at 6:30 p.m. ET providing viewers in-depth analysis on prospective draft choices, plus breakdowns of each team's needs.

The new 50-episode series features renowned NFL draft guru and college football analyst Mike Mayock and college football expert Charles Davis alongside host Paul Burmeister.

From the first pick in the 2007 NFL Draft to "Mr. Irrelevant" (the final choice), don't be surprised by the names selected.

NFL Network is the place where football season never ends and from last month's exclusive coverage of the Senior Bowl to the upcoming Scouting Combine and NFL Draft, there is no better place on television to keep abreast of all the news and information relating to how each of the 32 teams are preparing for the 2007 season.

To kick off the 50-part series, Path to the Draft takes a detailed look at the offensive prospects from Monday, Feb. 12 through Friday, Feb. 16 (all times 6:30 p.m. ET).

Monday -- Quarterbacks

Tuesday -- Running Backs

Wednesday -- Wide Receivers

Thursday -- Tight Ends

Friday -- Offensive Linemen

In the debut episode, former Titans general manager Floyd Reese and Cowboys Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo will be in studio to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of each quarterback prospect, including JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn and Troy Smith.

Path to the Draft will continues with special live shows from the 2007 NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis on Thursday, Feb. 22, and Friday, Feb. 23.

Path to the Draft will resume its regular weeknight schedule on Thursday, March 1, to coincide with the start of free agency, and continue right up until the 2007 NFL Draft on April 28-29.

Path to the Draft also features interviews with NFL head coaches, general managers, and guest analysts dissecting potential NFL prospects and providing insight into which players best suit each team's needs.

Using coaching tape, along with exclusive Senior Bowl, NFL Scouting Combine and Pro Day workout footage, Path to the Draft provides the most comprehensive coverage of the 2007 crop of NFL rookies.

NFL Network airs seven days a week, 24 hours a day on a year-round basis and is the first television network fully dedicated to the NFL and the sport of football. For more information, log onto www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/home.

I don't have NFLN but if anyone wants to take notes it could be good info for the Rookie Fantasy U! :D

Thy covered QB's tonight, mostly Russell and Brady Quinn. Someone will writeup most of what they said a little later.

He had some awesome analysis on both these QBs, I was very impressed.

Mayock said he's spent over 25 hours on Russel's game film. :D

Really hope the Raiders go after Russel after listening to what Mayock had to say.

He had some awesome analysis on both these QBs, I was very impressed.

Mayock said he's spent over 25 hours on Russel's game film. :D

Really hope the Raiders go after Russel after listening to what Mayock had to say.

I missed it. Can somebody give me some details on what Mayock had to say? I like Mayock and think he does an outstanding job. In my opinion, Russell is the only "cant miss" QB in this draft. I am not as high on Quinn, and think he should be rated well behind Russell.

Basically Mayock had to say this:

Russel is a physical beast that makes amazing throws, is really smart, and is hands down the best QB going into this draft. He showed a lot of really awesome clips of Russel making really hard throws and commented on a lot of his "NFL-Ready" passes that will keep him far ahead of Quinn, simply because of his intelligence and "nfl arm." Said basically Russel can throw all of them; perfect over the shoulder-basket catches, the long deep bomb, sideline passes, all of them. He can tough it out with DL and in the trenches and use his mobility to get the first as well. Mayock said over and over again that Russel is THE can't miss QB this year, and is ready for the NFL.

He was very critical of two things in regards to Russel however; he needs to predict windows rather than wait for them, and because he is so physical he sometimes stays in the pocket more than necessary leading to fumbles. The big thing was the windows however. He said Russel sometimes waits for the receivers to appear in the windows, rather than predicting they are going to be there simply from their routes and reading the coverage, and that this can lead to throws getting off too late, and the window closing fast around the ball.

I didn't watch as much on Quinn, but what I did get was this. When talking about Quinn, he said that Quinn also has a lot of talent, but it doesn't really measure up to Russel. He made a lot of Tom Brady comparison's to Quinn, and said he does have a lot of potential to be great. He also didn't have the talent around him that Russel had.

He also said the exact same thing about Quinn that he said about Russel; He needs to predict windows and not wait for them. He showed a handful of clips of Quinn waiting, seeing it, and missing it, and having to go to another receiver. The other thing Mayock was very critical of Quinn about was that he is terrible at leading receivers. Said Quinn's receivers would be dead even with a defender running downfield and ready to pull away, and Quinn wouldn't make the throw. Talked about the "If you're even, you're leaving" rule in the NFL, that if WR are even with DBs, they'll pull ahead when the ball is thrown, and until Quinn can get this down he will have a hard time in the NFL. Showed a lot of clips to back this up too.

Said the next two QBs were Michigan State's and Stanfords. I forget both names.

This is all I could remember, if anyone has any to add, or corrections to what I said, throw it out there!

Overall, Mayock says Russel the man. And Mayock knows his stuff.

I hope the Raiders don't screw this up.

Edited by kpholmes

Basically Mayock had to say this:

Russel is a physical beast that makes amazing throws, is really smart, and is hands down the best QB going into this draft. He showed a lot of really awesome clips of Russel making really hard throws and commented on a lot of his "NFL-Ready" passes that will keep him far ahead of Quinn, simply because of his intelligence and "nfl arm." Said basically Russel can throw all of them; perfect over the shoulder-basket catches, the long deep bomb, sideline passes, all of them. He can tough it out with DL and in the trenches and use his mobility to get the first as well. Mayock said over and over again that Russel is THE can't miss QB this year, and is ready for the NFL.

He was very critical of two things in regards to Russel however; he needs to predict windows rather than wait for them, and because he is so physical he sometimes stays in the pocket more than necessary leading to fumbles. The big thing was the windows however. He said Russel sometimes waits for the receivers to appear in the windows, rather than predicting they are going to be there simply from their routes and reading the coverage, and that this can lead to throws getting off too soon, and the window closing fast around the ball.

I didn't watch as much on Quinn, but what I did get was this. When talking about Quinn, he said that Quinn also has a lot of talent, but it doesn't really measure up to Russel. He made a lot of Tom Brady comparison's to Quinn, and said he does have a lot of potential to be great. He also didn't have the talent around him that Russel had.

He also said the exact same thing about Quinn that he said about Russel; He needs to predict windows and not wait for them. He showed a handful of clips of Quinn waiting, seeing it, and missing it, and having to go to another receiver. The other thing Mayock was very critical of Quinn about was that he is terrible at leading receivers. Said Quinn's receivers would be dead even with a defender running downfield and ready to pull away, and Quinn wouldn't make the throw. Talked about the "If you're even, you're leaving" rule in the NFL, that if WR are even with DBs, they'll pull ahead when the ball is thrown, and until Quinn can get this down he will have a hard time in the NFL. Showed a lot of clips to back this up too.

This is all I could remember, if anyone has any to add, or corrections to what I said, throw it out there!

Overall, Mayock says Russel the man. And Mayock knows his stuff.

I hope the Raiders don't screw this up.

Nice rundown :D

:D

Drew Stanton & Trent Edwards?

Looks like Kolb & Troy Smith hurt themselves a bit in the Senior Bowl - especially Kolb. Rightfully so, Stanton & Edwards ought to be better pros under center.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Tonight they had Lynch on saying several players(Russell, Adrian Peterson, Lynch and others) are working out together for the combine. He said he should his 40 time would be low 4.3's.

I hope most of the good players do attend and work out.

Mayock said both Lynch and Peterson run angry, Lynch has good footwork for a big guy and catches the ball better than AP, but Peterson is a horse.

Edited by Randall

This show has been something of a disappointment, dicsussing first round picks and that's about all. Those players are easy to get info on.... all meat and no potatos.

Looking over this class of WR's there does seem to be a good crop, but it also seems to me that for the past 4 years or so, first round WR's in general have not lived up to their draft spots. For every Roy Williams, there are a Rod Garner and a Rashaun Woods. I ball park it at about 1 out of 3 first round WR picks actually prove to be worth such a high draft pick.

I ball park it at about 1 out of 3 first round WR picks actually prove to be worth such a high draft pick.

:D 2000-2004? It's roughly 8 out of 24 that are #1 type WR, if you count Plaxico Burress and allow for Reggie Wayne.