[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lavar released by NYG

HowboutthemCowboys

Lets be honest... Arrington's days as a playmaker are long behind him.

Arrington's still a pretty good OLB, but I'm sure that his last contract was too high for somebody with his diminished skills and injury issues. Can't blame the Giants for cutting him, but they're pretty weak at LB now.

Arrington's still a pretty good OLB, but I'm sure that his last contract was too high for somebody with his diminished skills and injury issues. Can't blame the Giants for cutting him, but they're pretty weak at LB now.

Agreed ....they do not have anyone better or as good as arrington as his replacement

I think this is another step backwards for the G men

I am sorry to see Arrington go, but with the Achilles injury there was no way he was gonna be ready to go even by the middle of the season. Emmons was also an injury waiting to happen. But the best news out of all this is a f'ing stiff Pettigout is gone. I've seen some drafts that say the Giants would go after someone like Levi Brown in the first round and this pretty much confirms it. I originally thought that they would try and shore up the secondary, but it's clear that they'll be making some moves in free agency to solve that.

Edited by Kid Cid

Good point. Achilles injuries require significant healing time. I don't know the extent of Arrington's injury, but he might not be ready to play until October or so.

I also remember reading at some point last year that he has a degenerative knee injury as well... I think he's running on empty.

I also remember reading at some point last year that he has a degenerative knee injury as well... I think he's running on empty.

I have a bad feeling that Cato June will be a free agent sometime this summer, so that might be an avenue that the Giants would want to pursue. :D

I believe he is about 28. He has had an injury plagued career. For the high price tag he affords, that money can be used for someone who will be on the field more. This is a Redskin speaking, you are better off without him.

Yes, born 6/20/78

Giants will need to do something ...other than possibly cato june ,what other lb of value are free agents this year ?

Lance Briggs from the Bears is going to be a FA, I believe.

I liked Petitgout when he was on the field, but he was always hurt, and that wasn't going to get any better as he gets older, so I'm okay with that. But that means two things, now:

1. They MUST re-sign Shaun O'Hara

2. They MUST find a better left tackle than Bob Whitfield (probably via the draft).

I won't miss Emmons even a tiny bit. Non-factor.

Arrington's 7 year $49 million contract he signed last year was very much incentive layden. He was only scheduled to make $900,000 next season. So, I don't think dumping him will be too much of a salary cap hit. I'd rather give that money to a stud like Briggs than an injury prone guy coming off of a major injury like Arrington.

Dropping Pettigout will give the Giants a better opportunity to re-sign O'Hara. Emmons was a non-factor as a Giant. No big loss. With these three players waived and the retirement of Tiki Barber, the Giants should make a big splash in free agency this offseason.