[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

schotty fired

jjpro11

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about time Nick Saban jumped ship on Alabama. :D

Hope the mention of Dan Reeves is false.

Singletary and Rivera intrigue me.

If you want Rivera, you can have him. We'll throw in Ron Turner, too. :D

Marty pissed off the Spanos family AND AJ even more by denying the one year extension. This made him a lame duck and everyone knew he would not be back. This made it hard to keep the assistants in-house. There was a good chance that even more of the staff was going to jump ship.

The reality, is that besides Marty, who I am glad to see go, the coaching situation in San Diego would be almost completely new at the highest levels and probably a one year gig anyway. This means another upheaval next year.

I think they waited too long. But, AJ would not sign off on some of the assistants that Marty wanted to bring in this year. At least whoever they bring in will bring stability and a staff that should be together for a while.

I started a thread a few days back outlining my pessimism for the upcoming season, but I think that this may actually help. Yes, it is late in the game to get a staff together, but I still think there are some guys out there that can take this young team to the next level.

The rah-rah, one play at a time shtick runs its course pretty quickly in the modern NFL and I saw it happen to Marty in both KC and Cleveland. He loses his players at some point and just can't get them back.

Possibilities?

Rivera? 4-3 guy and the Bolts are built for the 3-4.

Cower? Give up too much in draft picks. Aj Say no no! :D

Carroll? Great college coach, can he come back to the pros and be successful? Great mind to play with the toys on the O side of the ball.

In House? Who knows? Don't think so.

Mora? No coach killers in San Diego and a good defensive mind that knows the 3-4. He would probably stabilize the staff and stop the rampant jumping.

Jimmy? Water is too cold in the Pacific Ocean.

Whoever comes in will have to accept that there is little to no say in the draft or player acquisition. There is a solid "win with the guys I give you" attitude by AJ. You can't argue with his eye for talent. I think Mora could be the guy. Not sure why I say this, but I think he would be a good fit.

I don't think AJ would have dome this if he didn't think he could fix it. They (JB and AJ) brought Marty in to teach these guys. They have learned and now need a "modern" coach to drive this machine.

In AJ we trust. I hope :D

Wonder what Cam Cameron's thinking right now? Phillips is probably happy with how it's turned out because it sounds like Dallas was his dream job, but Cameron's gotta be thinking, "you've got to be kidding, I probably could have not had to move across the country and not had to trade Rivers/LT/Gates/Merriman for Culpepper and an aging D and still (probably) been a head coach!"

Wonder what Cam Cameron's thinking right now? Phillips is probably happy with how it's turned out because it sounds like Dallas was his dream job, but Cameron's gotta be thinking, "you've got to be kidding, I probably could have not had to move across the country and not had to trade Rivers/LT/Gates/Merriman for Culpepper and an aging D and still (probably) been a head coach!"

No kidding.

DOH!

It could be a nice job to be sure. Just not "I have all the power" sort of a thing.

Wow, I haven't been paying much attention to sports lately so I had no idea this was even being rumored. I'm not sure it's that awful of a move, but it's certainly surprising timing to say the least.

Let the Pete Carroll rumors begin...

That seems like it could be a good fit. :D