[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tiki-Coughlin drove me to retire

Randall

Not this again. :D Of course it is the NY Post.

QUITTIN' TOM

By PAT REICHART

February 14, 2007 -- Giants fans may have been able to see Tiki Barber in Big Blue's huddle for another season, if not for the physical beating he received playing under head coach Tom Coughlin.

Barber, speaking after yesterday's press conference that formally announced his three-year broadcasting contract with NBC, implied that Coughlin has problems relating to players on the team, and that it was an "act of God" that the physical demands the coach placed on him did not result in a serious injury.

"Coach Coughlin is very hard-nosed, and I didn't get a lot of time off, couldn't sit down and rest myself, and so it was a constant grind - a physical grind on me that started to take its toll," said Barber. "The grind took its toll on me and really forced me to start thinking about what I wanted to do next. And that's not a bad thing. That's a good thing, for me at least. Maybe not for the Giants, because they lose one of their great players, but for me, it is."

Barber attributed much of the wear and tear he endured on the high standards Coughlin placed on his players during practice.

"There'd be days where I couldn't move on Tuesday or Wednesday at practice, and he'd get mad at me for going half-speed. And I told him, 'Coach, I can't do it. I'm gonna be out here, I'm never gonna miss a practice, but I can't give you what you want all the time.' And he understood.

"We were in full pads for 17 weeks, and with the amount of injuries that we had, it just takes a toll on you. You just physically don't want to be out there when your body feels the way you do in full pads. And while it probably doesn't have a really detrimental effect on how you practice or how you play, it does on your mind. And if you lose your mind in this game, you lose a lot. And that's something that he has to realize. And I think he does [now]."

Barber was quick to point out the success he had in the three seasons he played under Coughlin, rushing for over 1,500 yards in each of them and establishing himself as one of the league's elite running backs. He also admitted that he very well may not have reached that high level of production if not for Coughlin's influence.

Still, he thinks that Coach can do better.

"He has changed in little ways, but I think he still has to more," said Barber. "The game has changed, players are different, and you have to understand them and get to know them in order to encourage and motivate them to be successful. We'll see what happens this season."

Whatever plays out next fall, Barber believes Coughlin must adjust to the loss of his star back - and fast - if he hopes to keep his job. If the team doesn't make the playoffs, Barber believes his former coach will finally be shown the door.

"I think he's in a position now where he's coaching and the players are playing for his future," said Barber. "We'll see what happens."

pat.reichart@nypost.com

You don't like players using the media to get their way, but I wish he would have spoken up to someone rather than retiring like this. And then talking.

GM, the owner, someone.

Oh well. The Today Show, maybe he can make them a real show.

"The grind took its toll on me and really forced me to start thinking about what I wanted to do next. And that's not a bad thing. That's a good thing, for me at least. Maybe not for the Giants, because they lose one of their great players, but for me, it is."

Oh puke. :D

Not that he wasn't a really good RB, but do you really say that about yourself?

Our Huddle youngin Broncos made a statement once about hating Tiki Barber and got shredded for it..Granted hate is a strong word but I actually could see his point in some respects and this story proves the point. Tiki constantly threw the coaching staff under the bus and tried to come off as this league nice guy but really is a little bit of a bitch. I guess he forgot that Coughlin was the man responsible for teaching him how not to fumble as well ? If this story turns out to be untrue I will eat my words but I wouldnt put it past this little bitch..

Edited by whomper

Our Huddle youngin Broncos made a statement once about hating Tiki Barber and got shredded for it..Granted hate is a strong word but I actually could see his point in some respects and this story proves the point. Tiki constantly threw the coaching staff under the bus and tried to come off as this league nice guy but really is a little bit of a bitch. I guess he forgot that Coughlin was the man responsible for teaching him how not to fumble as well ? If this story turns out to be untrue I will eat my words but I wouldnt put it past this little bitch..

Broncos is and always will be a tool, even if he is right about one thing. That kid is a schmuck.

Broncos is and always will be a tool, even if he is right about one thing. That kid is a schmuck.

I like Broncos..He shows his age sometimes but hes harmless..

Don't you guys get it? He's NOT a player anymore. He's never liked Coughlin, so it seems. What loyalty does he owe Coughlin anymore? Besides, in his new role as a broadcaster, his job is to give his opinion on things.

Do I wish he was a little more humble about his own contributions, sure. But Tiki will always be a favorite of mine.

I didn't know Tiki was so modest... :D

...and a sissy. What an utterly selfish act on his part.

Yeah, Tiki's a real sissy. :D You have no idea what kind of pounding RBs take in a season, do you?

This is just par for the course. Brunell hated Coughlin in Jacksonville. Other veteran players reportedly said that they'd rather go play somewhere else for less money than stay in JAX. How many teams does Sergeant Tom have to piss off before NFL GMs realize that this guy isn't going to win them a Super Bowl?

Edited by Bill Swerski

I dont know the history of the Bears in detail so I will throw this out there..Did Walter Payton ever complain about how hard nosed and physical Ditka was ?

edit to add..Nevermind..I dont want to throw something out that I cant support with facts

Edited by whomper