[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tiki-Coughlin drove me to retire

Randall

I liked Tiki, but never would call him a great back. He sure shouldn't have called himself a great back.

Certainly not a HOF back. But definitely a very good, Pro Bowl-caliber back. Not to mention one of the best backs in Giants history.

Sounded like a schmuck the others who played under Coughlin.

Fixed

Edited by Bill Swerski

Walter Payton was a freak of nature. I'm not sure why you're comparing him to Tiki.

I tried to think of a great running back that played under a discipline oriented physical coach..The comparison had more to do with the coach

Certainly not a HOF back. But definitely a very good, Pro Bowl-caliber back. Not to mention one of the best backs in Giants history.

Fixed

you just mangled what I said. I said Tiki sounded like a schmuck calling himself a great player.

I didn't say he sounded like a schmuck for what he said about Coughlin. Ever since he became a head coach, players have complained about him.

I tried to think of a great running back that played under a discipline oriented physical coach..The comparison had more to do with the coach

Curtis Martin under Parcells. Bettis under Cowher.

And maybe LT under Marty? Or SA under Holmgren? I don't know if I'd call those guys "discipline-oriented" per se, but they're certainly not push-overs.

you just mangled what I said. I said Tiki sounded like a schmuck calling himself a great player.

I didn't say he sounded like a schmuck for what he said about Coughlin. Ever since he became a head coach, players have complained about him.

My bad.

Curtis Martin under Parcells. Bettis under Cowher.

And maybe LT under Marty? Or SA under Holmgren? I don't know if I'd call those guys "discipline-oriented" per se, but they're certainly not push-overs.

I cant see any of those guys going out like this..Football is a physical game and he was getting paid millions of Dollars for his services..I still dont see any gratitude from Tiki for the help Coughlin gave him overcoming his fumbling issues and Im sure some of that was a result of physical drills in practice

Tiki constantly threw the coaching staff under the bus and tried to come off as this league nice guy but really is a little bit of a bitch. I guess he forgot that Coughlin was the man responsible for teaching him how not to fumble as well ?

:D Okay, Tiki, we get it -- you didn't want to put up with the rigors of your job anymore. Fine. Go away. You're no longer relevant.

im going to hate seeing him on nbc every week. why cant some of these annoying players just go away forever.. no, instead we get to see these idiots all over tv.. irvin, salsbury, both sharpes, and now barber... the list goes on.

At least Barber sounds educated when he speaks. The other guys you mentioned are just trash talkers and they sound like they didn't graduate from high school when they speak.

Yeah, Tiki's a real sissy. :D You have no idea what kind of pounding RBs take in a season, do you?

This is just par for the course. Brunell hated Coughlin in Jacksonville. Other veteran players reportedly said that they'd rather go play somewhere else for less money than stay in JAX. How many teams does Sergeant Tom have to piss off before NFL GMs realize that this guy isn't going to win them a Super Bowl?

Do you? Please enlighten me. If he didn't like the pounding he could always quit... oh yeah, he did.

I wonder what LT would do with Tom in SD... I doubt he retires and then complains.

Do you? Please enlighten me.

Yes, I do. NFL halfbacks take such a pounding that even rookies have to sit in a tub of ice after a game, are sore for the next two days, and can't practice at full-speed until about Wednesday. Sometimes, the effects are permanent. Earl Campbell was arguably the toughest player on the field when he suited up on Sundays, but his legs suffered so much damage over the years that he can't walk without assistance now.

If he didn't like the pounding he could always quit... oh yeah, he did.

Yeah, after 10,000 rushing yards in the NFL. That little sissy! :D

I find it amusing that you're questioning the toughness of a veteran NFL halfback. What makes you think that you're so much tougher than Tiki Barber?

I wonder what LT would do with Tom in SD... I doubt he retires and then complains.

You're right, LT would NEVER complain about a coach. :D

:bash:

Edited by Bill Swerski

Look, Bill, Tiki was a great RB. For someone his size to dominate the game at a punishing position for the period he did is exceptional. I also really like Tiki as a person, despite the efforts to "cutify" him for commercials & crap like that. When he was a player he was a stand-up guy who stood up for his beliefs, even in the face of a guy like Strahan. He also is well spoken and well educated, and makes good insightful commentary.

The rub with me is:

1) He was paid to play football. Football is a violent sport. To play football to the best of one's capability, one has to practice simulating game situations. To ##### about contact in practice really grates on me. That players these days are overall such lousy tacklers goes directly, IMNSHO, to the fact that so many teams go easy in practice. I'm not saying that teams need to run hamburger drills every day throughout the season, but some contact practice, even at moderated speed, during the week can't do anything but help. If a player is tweaked, they can always red-shirt him during practice.

2) Coughlin is a tyrant, and petty, and very unlikeable, to be kind to the man. I won't ever question that. That said, he did set Tiki up for some serious success on the field, and it is downright unseemly to be biting the hand that fed him so well immediately after hanging up his cleats. If he felt badly about Coughlin despite Coughlin being a significant factor in Tiki's performance, he could have just as easily kept his mouth shut instead of joining the long line of kiss-and-tell whiners. That may have taken a little restraint, but it also would have taken a little class.

Tiki downgraded himself a bit in my eyes with this. It didn't need to be said - not in this manner.

1) He was paid to play football. Football is a violent sport. To play football to the best of one's capability, one has to practice simulating game situations. To ##### about contact in practice really grates on me. That players these days are overall such lousy tacklers goes directly, IMNSHO, to the fact that so many teams go easy in practice. I'm not saying that teams need to run hamburger drills every day throughout the season, but some contact practice, even at moderated speed, during the week can't do anything but help. If a player is tweaked, they can always red-shirt him during practice.

That's fine, but Tiki isn't the first person to complain about Coughlin's practices. A good portion of his team in Jacksonville hated him for it, among other reasons.

2) Coughlin is a tyrant, and petty, and very unlikeable, to be kind to the man. I won't ever question that. That said, he did set Tiki up for some serious success on the field, and it is downright unseemly to be biting the hand that fed him so well immediately after hanging up his cleats. If he felt badly about Coughlin despite Coughlin being a significant factor in Tiki's performance, he could have just as easily kept his mouth shut instead of joining the long line of kiss-and-tell whiners. That may have taken a little restraint, but it also would have taken a little class.

Tiki did clearly say that Coughlin was a huge part of his success on the field. He spoke about both the good and bad with regard to Coughlin. I don't think that his comments were unfair.

Tiki downgraded himself a bit in my eyes with this. It didn't need to be said - not in this manner.

I agree in part, although I think it's about time that somebody put Coughlin in his place.

I can't believe half of you on there talking about what a sissy Tiki Barber is for retiring. The guy is smart. He has a lot of money, is getting away from the incredible amount of abuse, and is now doing something he also likes. What is he doing wrong. What does he owe any of you? And to compare him to past players, the NFL 20 years ago is nothing to what it is today. The amount of training and size of people now is completely different. Payton, Sayers, Brown, etc. now would certainly be great players, but they too would not have been able to manage the game as they did before. The NFL today is much bigger, faster, and stronger.

Our Huddle youngin Broncos made a statement once about hating Tiki Barber and got shredded for it..Granted hate is a strong word but I actually could see his point in some respects and this story proves the point. Tiki constantly threw the coaching staff under the bus and tried to come off as this league nice guy but really is a little bit of a bitch. I guess he forgot that Coughlin was the man responsible for teaching him how not to fumble as well ? If this story turns out to be untrue I will eat my words but I wouldnt put it past this little bitch..

I said I dislike him and I still do. I lost a lot of respect for him with the publicity stunt that is his retirement.

Broncos is and always will be a tool, even if he is right about one thing. That kid is a schmuck.

Comon tell me what you really think. :D

Based on this paragraph....

Barber was quick to point out the success he had in the three seasons he played under Coughlin, rushing for over 1,500 yards in each of them and establishing himself as one of the league's elite running backs. He also admitted that he very well may not have reached that high level of production if not for Coughlin's influence.

Why didn't the writer put a little more focus, or even one lousy quote about Barbers positive comments? Writers always seem to want to drag a player through the mud. So, when someone asked why Barber didn't credit Coughlin with fixing his fumbling problems, maybe he did, but we'll never know from this article. It's clearly slanted to cause trouble.

Players will always whine about training camp and practices. More so today than in the past. Has anyone ever heard of a team that doesn't put the pads on for at least some part of practice during the season? In Barber's defense, especially for RB's who take such a beating, they need extra time to heal. When you have one RB that gets 35 touches a game, he's going to need time to recoup.

Yes, I do. NFL halfbacks take such a pounding that even rookies have to sit in a tub of ice after a game, are sore for the next two days, and can't practice at full-speed until about Wednesday. Sometimes, the effects are permanent. Earl Campbell was arguably the toughest player on the field when he suited up on Sundays, but his legs suffered so much damage over the years that he can't walk without assistance now.

Yeah, after 10,000 rushing yards in the NFL. That little sissy! :D

I find it amusing that you're questioning the toughness of a veteran NFL halfback. What makes you think that you're so much tougher than Tiki Barber?

You're right, LT would NEVER complain about a coach. :D

:bash:

I don't think I'm tougher than anyone and don't feel the need to prove anything to anybody. However, while I think Tiki has proven his "toughness" per say with respect to the NFL, I find it unecessarily destructive to make stupid comments about coaches and the NFL when you just quit. I personally don't care that he quit or plays, but the comments he made (potentially skewed by the media, of course) aren't the types of comments that lead me to believe he's the type of role model I thought he was. It doesn't surprise me, though, as I think most professional athletes are selfish...

I don't think I'm tougher than anyone

Then perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to call Tiki a "sissy", no?

However, while I think Tiki has proven his "toughness" per say with respect to the NFL, I find it unecessarily destructive to make stupid comments about coaches and the NFL when you just quit.

If Tom Coughlin put your body through escessive and unecessary wear and tear, I think that you might feel the urge to say something about it on the way out the door. Given the nerve damage that Earl Campbell suffered during his (relatively brief) career, I'd say that people like Tiki are within their right to be "selfish" with regard to their health. Tiki is the one who will have to inhabit that body for the next 40-50 years, not Tom Coughlin.

Agreed with you and Billy that Tiki could've taken the high road and come off as the "better person" here, but I also admire people who stand up for what's right, rather than what's "classy" or "polite." At the very least, I'll bet that Tiki's former teammates are glad that he said something.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Agreed with you and Billy that Tiki could've taken the high road and come off as the "better person" here, but I also admire people who stand up for what's right, rather than what's "classy" or "polite." At the very least, I'll bet that Tiki's former teammates are glad that he said something.

:D

While I don't necessarily agree with your point, I certainly understand what you're getting at, and Coughlin has earned a good public reaming & then some. I just am not a fan of kiss-and-tell crap once the team relationship is severed. If he didn't have the cajones to put this forth before he retired & take whatever fallout came his way, he should have kept quiet after he retired - and I still don't believe in airing a team's dirty laundry in public in any event.

It's less grating, though, knowing that he's aiming at Coughlin, who is a prick of gigantic proportions and more than happy to throw his players under the bus publicly.