[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerry Jones ... your team's next GM?

Grits and Shins

Heard an interview with Dale Hansen (a local sports reporter in Dallas) on ESPN radio yesterday. He recently interviewed Jerry Jones and was pimping his interview ... he revealed two of the questions he asked Jerry Jones:

1) Do you honestly believe there is any other NFL organization that would hire you as a GM if you didn't bring your check book?

2) If you were to purchase the Cowboys organization today, considering the fact that in the last 10 years there have been 5 head coaches, 8 quarter backs and no post-season victories wouldn't your first act be to fire the GM?

:D

As much as I am NOT a fan of Dale Hansen, on this we are on the same page.

The guy opened his checkbook and made moves in the 90s that brought us 3 superbowl rings..Thats 3 more then many teams in the league have..Although he is certainly not without his flaws I refrain from laughing at him as a sign of gratitude for the 3 more trophies on the shelf that he was a major part of.

Im a huge fan of Dale Hansen and Hansen is completely to the point.

What other team would hire Jerry Jones to be the GM, if he wasnt the owner. Why should Dallas have to have the only GM in the league, no other team would even consider for the job. Jerry needs to fire himself as GM, and get a football guy in here to shop for groceries.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Im a huge fan of Dale Hansen and Hansen is completely to the point.

What other team would hire Jerry Jones to be the GM, if he wasnt the owner. Why should Dallas have to have the only GM in the league, no other team would even consider for the job. Jerry needs to fire himself as GM, and get a football guy in here to shop for groceries.

I dont disagree with you at all..I just scratch my head sometimes at over the top Jerry bashing which I am not saying you did..The system we have in place does need to be changed or we may still wallow in this rut but I have seen an upswing these past few years..

he revealed two of the questions he asked Jerry Jones:

1) Do you honestly believe there is any other NFL organization that would hire you as a GM if you didn't bring your check book?

2) If you were to purchase the Cowboys organization today, considering the fact that in the last 10 years there have been 5 head coaches, 8 quarter backs and no post-season victories wouldn't your first act be to fire the GM?

any link as to what Jerry's answers were to these questions?

as a diehard Cowboys fan I have done my fair share of both defendind AND bashing JJ(as I think most true 'Boys fans have) so I would be very interested to hear his replies to these very valid questions.

and for the record i would love to see Jerry hire a "football guy" to be the true GM of the team. JJ should realize that, as the owner and the guy who signs everyones checks, he will always have a say(and the final one at that)in the day to day operations both on and off the field, so what does it hurt to hire a real GM?

The guy opened his checkbook and made moves in the 90s that brought us 3 superbowl rings..Thats 3 more then many teams in the league have..Although he is certainly not without his flaws I refrain from laughing at him as a sign of gratitude for the 3 more trophies on the shelf that he was a major part of.

I dont disagree with you at all..I just scratch my head sometimes at over the top Jerry bashing which I am not saying you did..The system we have in place does need to be changed or we may still wallow in this rut but I have seen an upswing these past few years..

I agree with your sentiments 100%. When Jerry fired Landry I was really, really, really, pissed. After the first Superbowl that Jerry got us, I wasn't pissed, but I still wasn't that thrilled. After the Jerry's 2nd Superbowl, I had to acknowledge, that he is a pretty good owner. After the third Superbowl, and looking at some of his innovations, I have to admit he is probably one of the best owners in the league. I still don't think he is even a good G.M., but he seems to be learning from his mistakes. His pride got the better of him with Jimmy and the first few year after Jimmy, but I think he is finally starting to get it. I'd be willing to bet a dollar to donut that eventually he'll end up in Canton one day, of course it may be after worms have ate away his surgically enhanced face, but it will happen.

Who would you rather have as an owner? I know there are several G.M.s I'd rather have than Jerry but honestly I can't think of an Owner that has done more for his team in the last 20 years.

JJ is 65, and could easily stay active for another 20 years. I think there are two question that Cowboy fans need to ask themselves:

1. If the Boys do not win another playoff game for 20 more years, will the three Super Bowls be worth the 30 year draught?
  2. What is chance of #1 coming true?

JJ is 65, and could easily stay active for another 20 years. I think there are two question that Cowboy fans need to ask themselves:

1. If the Boys do not win another playoff game for 20 more years, will the three Super Bowls be worth the 30 year draught?

I give # 1 no chance of coming true..The draught really shouldve been broken this year If we kick a 19 yd fg and hold but we didnt.

I give # 1 no chance of coming true..The draught really shouldve been broken this year If we kick a 19 yd fg and hold but we didnt.

I'm as big of a Cowboy fan as anyone, but there was no chance of us making it to the Superbowl this year. Our pass defense just wasn't good enough. Hopefully a lot of that was the absence of Ellis, but I still don't think that is all of it. Until we get a real FS that can cover which would allow Roy Williams to sneak up into the box to stop the run and blitz, I'm still not sure that we have what it takes on defense to get there.

Heard an interview with Dale Hansen (a local sports reporter in Dallas) on ESPN radio yesterday. He recently interviewed Jerry Jones and was pimping his interview ... he revealed two of the questions he asked Jerry Jones:

As much as I am NOT a fan of Dale Hansen, on this we are on the same page.

I'm as big of a Cowboy fan as anyone, but there was no chance of us making it to the Superbowl this year. Our pass defense just wasn't good enough. Hopefully a lot of that was the absence of Ellis, but I still don't think that is all of it. Until we get a real FS that can cover which would allow Roy Williams to sneak up into the box to stop the run and blitz, I'm still not sure that we have what it takes on defense to get there.

I agree Perch..I was just responding to RBs option of Dallas not winning a playoff game for another 20 years . We were very close to ending that this year .

Edited by whomper

Brilliant question.

I believe for Jones, his ego is always #1 and the Cowboys are actually #1a ... So while the true answer to question 2 is yes if you're looking out for the good of the Cowboys franchise, his ego -- his #1 concern -- prevents him from doing it.

But is that a bad thing? He's a remarkably rich man. He loves football. He bought a team. He's running the team the way he wants. Heck, the Cowboys are HIS fantasy football team. Soooooo, while he may not be the best GM around and his earlier success has been overshadowed by his recent failures, I think his money/ownership status gives him every right to do whatever he wants.

Several have espoused the merits of Jerry Jones the owner. Jones the owner has certainly shown a willingness to open the check book ... and that is a good thing. However, if, in your willingness to spend, you throw millions or billions of dollars away on mediocre to poor coaches/players/teams how exactly does that make him a "good owner"?

Jones has made ONE excellent decision, that being to hire Jimmy Johnson as his HC. From that point Jimmy Johnson was responsible for bringing 3 championships to the Cowboys. And, yes, as a Cowboy fan I am grateful and appreciative. But make no mistake ... those championships are the children of Jimmy Johnson NOT Jerry Jones. He then ran Jimmy Johnson out of town and has from that point forward has had a mediocre to poor team.

Jones is a horrible GM and those guestions are spot on. There is no organization in the NFL (probably not at any level) that would hire Jerry Jones as their GM based soley on his merits as a GM. As a GM Jerry has been a horrible flop with the only bright spots being during Jimmy Johnson's tenure as HC and to a much lesser degree during Bill Parcell's tenure as HC.

If Jones was to answer question 2 honestly - the GM would not survive a week after Jones purchased that organization, maybe not even a day.

I know there are several G.M.s I'd rather have than Jerry but honestly I can't think of an Owner that has done more for his team in the last 20 years.

And there's the point. Can you think of an owner that has done more in the last TEN years? :D

If this was a head coach, he'd have been out the door long since, 3 rings well over a decade ago or not. This is a "what have you done for me recently" league.

Okay Perch.

Let's hear it ... after the Jerry ran Jimmy out of town and after Jimmy's team won it's third championshp ... what exactly has Jerry Jones done that puts him heads and shoulders above the other owners? Hell for that matter what has he done that can be pointed to that leads one to believe he has distinguished himself from any other owner in any way?

He has fired/hired how many coaches since Jimmy? Five coaches since 1994. Eight different QBs, mostly old washed up ones. Five losing seasons. Five one and done playoff appearances.

This is the guy you claim has "done more for his team in the last 20 years" than any other coach?

Okay Perch.

Let's hear it ... after the Jerry ran Jimmy out of town and after Jimmy's team won it's third championshp ... what exactly has Jerry Jones done that puts him heads and shoulders above the other owners? Hell for that matter what has he done that can be pointed to that leads one to believe he has distinguished himself from any other owner in any way?

He has fired/hired how many coaches since Jimmy? Five coaches since 1994. Eight different QBs, mostly old washed up ones. Five losing seasons. Five one and done playoff appearances.

This is the guy you claim has "done more for his team in the last 20 years" than any other coach?

Well, you have to admit, 3 Super Bowls in 90's was pretty darn good. Who hired Jimmy? Who decided to trade Herschel Walker? He revolutionized advertising in the NFL. You may not like it but it has been great for the league.

On the league front, he has actively contributed to enhancing the NFL's status as the world's premier professional sports league by serving on the NFL's Competition Committee, the Broadcast Committee, the Management Council Executive Committee and the Business Ventures Committee. His vision in the areas of marketing, corporate sponsorships, television, stadium management and community service has made a visible imprint on the landscape of sports in America.

Major George Hood of The Salvation Army states that "by presenting the National Kettle Kickoff on Thanksgiving Day, the Dallas Cowboys have helped the Army raise over $800 million in the past eight years."

Well, you have to admit, 3 Super Bowls in 90's was pretty darn good. Who hired Jimmy? Who decided to trade Herschel Walker? He revolutionized advertising in the NFL. You may not like it but it has been great for the league.

So then ... you espouse his merits as an owner based on 3 SB wins that happened more than 10 years ago AND he makes the NFL organization better as a whole.

You belief his efforts on the behalf of the NFL make him a better owner of the Dallas Cowboys? This you will have to explain to me.

So then ... you espouse his merits as an owner based on 3 SB wins that happened more than 10 years ago AND he makes the NFL organization better as a whole.

You belief his efforts on the behalf of the NFL make him a better owner of the Dallas Cowboys? This you will have to explain to me.

who do you think should get more credit for the 3 SB's, Jimmy Johnson or the Walker trade?

When was the last time that anyone in the NFC East won a Super Bowl? How many owners have 3 Super Bowls under their belt. Like I said earlier, I think he is a great owner, but do not think he is a great G.M. That being said, he isn't a horrible G.M. either. Look at A.J. Smith. How is he any better than Jerry? He fired a coach that went what 14-2? Is Jerry just bad because he the "rich owner"? Don't forget, Jerry was a football guy way before he was an owner. He was co-captain of the Arkansas football team back in the day. It's not like he is a total idiot. Yes, seeing him on the sidelines is strange, but he loves the games. I would say that Mark Cuban is one of the greatest owners in the NBA, and most would agree with me. He is at the end of the bench at almost every game, and even gets in the huddle during time outs every now an then. His teams have yet to win a championship. The salary cap caught up to the boys in the late 90's that is just the way the NFL is now a days.