[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerry Jones ... your team's next GM?

Grits and Shins

I think Jimmy Johnson was the orchestrator of the Walker trade and gets ALL the credit for the 3 SBs.

Now you've already said that Jones makes all the personnel decisions, now you're saying he doesn't? Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

When was the last time that anyone in the NFC East won a Super Bowl? How many owners have 3 Super Bowls under their belt. Like I said earlier, I think he is a great owner, but do not think he is a great G.M. That being said, he isn't a horrible G.M. either. Look at A.J. Smith. How is he any better than Jerry? He fired a coach that went what 14-2? Is Jerry just bad because he the "rich owner"? Don't forget, Jerry was a football guy way before he was an owner. He was co-captain of the Arkansas football team back in the day. It's not like he is a total idiot. Yes, seeing him on the sidelines is strange, but he loves the games. I would say that Mark Cuban is one of the greatest owners in the NBA, and most would agree with me. He is at the end of the bench at almost every game, and even gets in the huddle during time outs every now an then. His teams have yet to win a championship. The salary cap caught up to the boys in the late 90's that is just the way the NFL is now a days.

So you are content living in the past ... on 3 SB wins over 10 years ago.

You still haven't explained what makes him a great owner of the Dallas Cowboys since 1995? How has his activities as the Cowboys owner since 1994 been any different than any other owner in the league?

Now you've already said that Jones makes all the personnel decisions, now you're saying he doesn't? Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

In the beginning there was Jimmy ... and Jimmy was driving the bus. With that success Jerry decided he need to be more involved ... so Jimmy left.

I have a good friend in Dallas, who is diehard Dallas fan, and a very astute football fan. Obviously, I am a Cowboy hater, all ways have been. However, I really try to look at this issue objectively. My buddy is a diehard Jones support. He will not criticize anything he does. It is very odd to me. I really believe that if Jerry had stayed out of Jimmy’s way, that the Cowboys would have had a dynasty that would not have a rival. I also think that if Jerry would take a more traditional role as an owner, higher a GM, that they would be back in the SB hunt in no time. I do not think that will happen, the way things are now.

It is very interesting to me that almost everyone is on one side or the other on this issue.

EDIT:

I think that the only way that the discussion is ever resolved, is with the passing of time.

Edited by rbmcdonald

So you are content living in the past ... on 3 SB wins over 10 years ago.

You still haven't explained what makes him a great owner of the Dallas Cowboys since 1995? How has his activities as the Cowboys owner since 1994 been any different than any other owner in the league?

Is every owner that hasnt won a superbowl since 1995 a bad owner ?

The 49ers were a powerhouse around the same time as Dallas and went in the tank for a while too. It happens.

Jerry was able to lure a Hall of fame coach out of retirement and with the exception of the T.O decision was pretty hands off during the Parcells era. Im not glossing over the T.O part I understand that was something Jerry pushed for and from a non football aspect as usual hes a trainwreck. Point is he handed the wheel to a legendary coach that he was able to hire when the rest of the football world thought Parcells was done.

Rings before Jerry 2..Rings after Jerry 3 :D

Edited by whomper

Is every owner that hasnt won a superbowl since 1995 a bad owner ?

The 49ers were a powerhouse around the same time as Dallas and went in the tank for a while too. It happens.

Rings before Jerry 2..Rings after Jerry 3 :D

I haven't said JJ is a bad owner ... except that as an owner he has hired himself as the GM. Others are proclaiming him the best owner over the last 20 years. I want to know what he has done as the Cowboys owner that distinguishes him from any other owner of a team.

As far as team owners go ... the only thing we can base a judgement on is how willing the owner is to open his checkbook. Jerry is very willing to open his check book so in that regard he is a "good owner".

Unfortunately with Jerry the owner you get Jerry the GM.

I heard Jerry answers to those questions today.

His answer to question 1 was NO, not if he was confident that the GM had the fortitude to take the risks necessary to take the team to another SB victory. Winning 2 playoff games is not enough, winning the SB is desired.

His answer to the second question was ... YES, because he is a risk taker that doesn't point fingers when decisions don't pan out.

Allow me to say he is full of manure on both accounts.

Owners aren't looking for GMs that "take risks and don't pont fingers" they are looking for GMs that know football talent and build winning teams.

If Jones wasn't the current owner of the Cowboys and purchased them today the very FIRST thing he would do is clean house ... just like he did when he really did purchase them. Over the last 10 years the team has been in shambles with 5 different coaches, no real starting QB and inconsistency top to bottom.

The sad thing is that Jones probably believes what he said.

Oh ... as to Jerry's abilities as a GM ... I don't remember the specific breakdown but there is a significant difference between the number of pro bowl appearances by players that Jimmy Johnson put on the drafted or picked up in free agency versus the number of pro bowl appearances by players acquired when Switzer, Gailey and Campo were the coaches. The number of combined pro bowl appearances took a turn up when Bill Parcells took over the reigns.

I think Hansens questions are fair but if I remember correctly, Dale and JJ have a bit of a pissing contest that goes back to the early days of JJ's ownership and Dales removal from the teams radio broadcast team with Brad Sham. I don't remember the details but the hard feelings on Dales part goes back to that time I think.

I think Hansens questions are fair but if I remember correctly, Dale and JJ have a bit of a pissing contest that goes back to the early days of JJ's ownership and Dales removal from the teams radio broadcast team with Brad Sham. I don't remember the details but the hard feelings on Dales part goes back to that time I think.

:D

Doesn't make the questions any less valid. Personally I don't care for Hansen myself largely because he thinks he is "all that" and has a right to ask anybody anything and the person asked is obligated to answer.

Of course I have to admit that I don't like the media as a whole.