[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The best player in the draft?

godtomsatan

Georgia Tech's Johnson seen as can't-miss WR

Georgia Tech's Johnson seen as a can't-miss WR

Bucs, other teams would love to have receiver join them.

By RICK STROUD

Published February 14, 2007

LAKE BUENA VISTA -Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson stood just a fly pattern away from the practice field the Bucs call home for training camp at Disney's Wide World of Sports.

"I could definitely see myself fitting in down here," Johnson said. "I'd love it."

The Bucs aren't the only team that would love Johnson.

The 6-foot-4, 234-pound junior is projected as a top five pick. But first, he is prepping for the league's scouting combine in Indianapolis next week.

Tuesday, speed and conditioning coach Tom Shaw put Johnson and several dozen college players through a workout.

Johnson was clocked at 4.33 in the 40, recorded an 11-foot standing broad jump and had a vertical leap of 43 inches.

"Calvin Johnson is a kid where no one is going to go wrong," Shaw said. "He doesn't have any negatives against him. He's a sure thing. He's Peyton Manning."

I think Calvin Johnson may be the best player in the draft. the guy can play and IMO is the closest thing to a can't miss in the draft.

Wish my Lions had not spent our last 20 picks on WR's so we could grab him.

What makes you think that will stop them?

Negatives: Has a superstar's attitude. Is loud, cocky and immature but very competitive. Needs work on underneath routes; tries to break everything off deep. Isn't afraid to work but relies on ability. Doesn't beat the jam consistently and needs to learn to beat double-team. Loses concentration at times, making drops running before the catch. Smokes more Josh Gordon than Bob Marley. Bad attitude. Going to Lions will be the career ender for any player.

Calvin Johnson is clearly the best athlete in this year's draft, and is widely regarded by most analysts as being The "Can't Miss" player in this draft.

That he was able to do what he did with the crapola that GT had at QB is phenominal.

+1 Saw him play in a couple games and he was definitely head and shoulders above everyone else on the field.

Watching the LSU vs. ND game and hearing what Mayock said yesterday I disagree. "He does things I've never seen at the college level before."

cuz he beat nds coleslaw defense in what was virtually a home game?

for everyone that bags on brady quinn because of his record and performances in big games...go look at russells...not any better

and i heard some not too long ago that some scouts are concerned that he has instincts in the pocket similar to that of mr byron leftwich

Considering the history of drafts, I'd say there's never a "can't miss" when dealing with players at this age. However, i'd probably pick CJ (anyone know if he goes by CJ - it's easier to type, although he may need to be CJ2 after Chad) as the one closest. Russell has a lot of skills, but he could easily miss - not sayign he will, but there's no way any QB (well, probably outside of Peyton) should ever be labeled "can't miss" cause without a doubt they can.

Interesting thought though - which position is probably the most likely to be can't miss, and which least likely?

Anyone gota LOT of time to look at the first round picks from say 95 to 03 and figure out pctg of makes/miss by position? (saying 03 cause unfair to fully judge until at least 4 full years out)

+1 Saw him play in a couple games and he was definitely head and shoulders above everyone else on the field.

I couldn't understand why Gailey wouldn't throw to him on every series. The kid disappeared at times due to play calling.

And Jamarcus Russell is the next Akili Smith. So he beat up the ND defense? Big whoop, they suck! His stat lines are not that great against Ark, Fla, Ten and Auburn this year and for that he gets taken #1 overall? :D