[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ron Rivera

Shorttynaz

I dont know too much of him, and I'm sure that the Bears are very happy to retain his services, but what's wrong with him? Is he not qualified enough, or is he just a bad interview? I mean I dont know exactly how many jobs he interviewed for, but his name was mentioned in just about all of the "at the time" vacant HC jobs.

The problem is that all of his success in CHI has been through running Lovie's defense with top-tier defensive talent. IMO, he hansn't been much of a difference-maker. I'm sure that he's a good DC and all, but he probably needs to do more before he becomes a serious HC candidate.

I dont know too much of him, and I'm sure that the Bears are very happy to retain his services, but what's wrong with him? Is he not qualified enough, or is he just a bad interview? I mean I dont know exactly how many jobs he interviewed for, but his name was mentioned in just about all of the "at the time" vacant HC jobs.

Who knows? There are a lot of factors in being a head coach in the NFL. Bringing in coaches is a big one, and maybe he didn't have a lot of sexy names to throw out there as guys he could bring in to run the offense.

Plus, what job was he really going to get when teams were waiting so long to talk to him?

He'll get a job next year. :D

His contract is not up until the end of this month.

They just re-upped with the Special Teams coach and they're working their way towards the rest.

I think Rivera got exposed a bit, and I think he's running a scheme that the last 2 positions he interviewed for are about as opposite as can be.

Rotoworld) The Bears have decided not to renew defensive coordinator Ron Rivera's contract.

Impact: At first glance, this is shocking news. But there have been signs in Chicago that Lovie Smith favored LB coach Bob Babich, who will be promoted to defensive coordinator. Rivera has been among the hottest assistants in the league the last two years, but apparently hasn't impressed in numerous head coaching interviews. With every defensive coordinator position accounted for, Rivera may have to take a step down in title to work in the NFL in 2007.