[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints plan to franchise Grant

HowboutthemCowboys

espn.com

The Saints are planning to place the franchise tag on Charles Grant, barring a last minute contract extension this week.

Grant would play for $8.66 million this season under the one-year contract. While that seems like a lot for someone with only 8.5 sacks the last two seasons, it's only a one-year commitment and New Orleans has plenty of cap room. Grant is an excellent run-stuffer, had 20.5 sacks between 2003-2004, and has never missed an NFL game.

"It's not so much being disappointed (with staying in New Orleans)," said Grant, a first-round draft pick in 2002. "I've been here five years. I love Louisiana. I love the people here. You can't get better people than here in New Orleans.

"But other teams are interested in me. If you don't think I can play the game of football, you should treat me like a man and let me go."

:D

I think the Franchise tag indicates the Saints DO think you can play the game and don't want to let you go for free.....