[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts clear cap space

CaptainHook

Through some bookkeeping maneuvers with the contracts of quarterback Peyton Manning and defensive end Robert Mathis, the Indianapolis Colts lowered each player's 2007 salary-cap number and created more than $11 million in cap savings.

The team lowered Manning's $16.533 million cap number to $8.2 million by guaranteeing a $10 million roster bonus he is due and converting it to a signing bonus that can be pro-rated over the life of the contract.

An identical tactic was used with Mathis. By converting a $3.9 million roster bonus into a signing bonus and prorating it, the Colts lowered his cap number from $7.11 million to approximately $3.99 million.

Neither player took a pay decrease. By lowering their '07 cap numbers, the Colts increased future cap obligations of both.

link to Indy Star

It's going to be an interesting offseason -yet again- with teams able to do this AND raise their cap under the cba. I think we're going to see a bunch of franchises to keep hi-end movement down (briggs, freeney, etc) which means the middle tier movement will be key this year.

It's going to be an interesting offseason -yet again- with teams able to do this AND raise their cap under the cba. I think we're going to see a bunch of franchises to keep hi-end movement down (briggs, freeney, etc) which means the middle tier movement will be key this year.

True, and unfortunately I see a lot of good middle-tier movement (Cato June, Thomas Jones) potentially going away from our respective teams. :D

True, and unfortunately I see a lot of good middle-tier movement (Cato June, Thomas Jones) potentially going away from our respective teams. :D

I would have agreed with you about TJ, but with Benon's SB injury this will be interesting for sure. THe real Adrian Peterson has been #3 for some time and I THINK he's good for a #2 role but would rather have TJ back.

If this were a Madden game, I'd use the new cap space to resign TJ, get Steinbach and basically return everyone possible for next year. I see a TJ holdout in lieu of a major raise, and cannot blame him at this point.

I would have agreed with you about TJ, but with Benon's SB injury this will be interesting for sure.

Yeah, that really did muck things up. Even when Benson hasn't been on the bench with a knee injury, he hasn't been that spectacular. It'll be interesting to see whether Angelo's brain or ego wins out in this decision.

If this were a Madden game, I'd use the new cap space to resign TJ, get Steinbach and basically return everyone possible for next year. I see a TJ holdout in lieu of a major raise, and cannot blame him at this point.

I completely agree. TJ has far exceeded expectations and was basically stabbed in the back by Angelo when he drafted Benson. Throw in the fact that he's significantly underpaid and I'd hold out if I were him as well.

Yeah, that really did muck things up. Even when Benson hasn't been on the bench with a knee injury, he hasn't been that spectacular. It'll be interesting to see whether Angelo's brain or ego wins out in this decision.

I completely agree. TJ has far exceeded expectations and was basically stabbed in the back by Angelo when he drafted Benson. Throw in the fact that he's significantly underpaid and I'd hold out if I were him as well.

Hmmm, I'll give Benson props for both a decent ypc (4.1 over his 2 seasons, evenly split) AND the fact that he does have that 'knack' for getting into the endzone. I'm not strongly on the 'stab in the back' thing because it IS a business and who's not to say that TJ's focus has been a result of holding off Benson? Still, though I woun't blame TJ on a holdout and hopefully Angelo can bring him in.

Still, good teams do NOT stand pat (see the Chicago Bulls every offseason from 91-99), which unfortunately is what I see the Bears doing in part because of circumstance: there's no 'home run' FA they'll pursue in need because there really are none.

Hmmm, I'll give Benson props for both a decent ypc (4.1 over his 2 seasons, evenly split) AND the fact that he does have that 'knack' for getting into the endzone.

Benson's OK, but I think that he's been pretty disappointing for a #4 overall pick, IMO. He doesn't have much burst, his cutting ability is mediocre, and he's maybe above-average when it comes to breaking tackles. I mean, he was drafted right around where guys like Edge, Ricky, Eddie George, Tomlinson, Alexander, Deuce McAllister, and Jamal Lewis were, but he's looked more like Rudi Johnson so far.

Awesome. Now Polian can trim even more overhead by cutting Simon and Doss.

Does this do enough to help the Colts retain Cato June, or does this just make sure that they will have enough to sign all of their draft pics and/or possibly make a free agent acquisition?

Does this do enough to help the Colts retain Cato June,

I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

They won't have to pay Stokley, Rhodes, or Proehl anymore either (assuming that none are re-signed), so that may help in freeing up funds for signing picks. They don't have a second-rounder this year, so that'll help as well.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I have a feeling the Colts aren't done. I believe Doss is also a FA. They also have to re-sign at least one of their two guards, (Gandy is ready to step in and replace the other). I think Simon or Reagor will be cut, but not both. Stokley is probably in danger as well, but I don't think his contract is that huge. The Colts may just keep him around hoping by some miracle he can stay healthy. Nick Harper is the guy I'd like to be re-signed. He's been their best cornerback for several years now, and I'd like to see him get a contract. I'm not so sure that June can't be easily replaced in the Colts system. Freddie Keiaho and Tyjuan Hagler could step into the linebacking corps. We'll see.

Edited by CaptainHook

I think Simon or Reagor will be cut, but not both.

I'd be shocked if Simon were in a Colts uniform this season. Didn't he file a complaint against the Colts through the NFLPA this season? Sounds like bridges may have been burned.

However, Reagor's face still looked pretty bad at the SB celebration. Looks like he still can't completely open his left eye. I'm assuming that he'll be ready to go by September, but it's possible that he has other injuries that I'm not aware of.

I'd be shocked if Simon were in a Colts uniform this season. Didn't he file a complaint against the Colts through the NFLPA this season? Sounds like bridges may have been burned.
I believe teh complaint stemmed from the Colts not wanting to pay his salary because he went on the non-football-related IR with whatever his mystery illness was. While I don't think that he burned his bridges, he definitely didn't help things by stacking kindling underneath it either.

Great job by the Colts, they had very little cap room so it should be nice to breathe a lil bit. From the outside, I don't see how they can get rid of Simon. Seems to me they need as many huge fat boys as they can get in the middle of that undersized defense. It seemed to me that he was a pretty significant addition when healthy. Typically when these kinds of things go on behind the scenes the player doesn't come back to the team, so who knows. I for one would love a big fat guy like him in Seattle so I'm hoping maybe he did burn some bridges.

I really like Benson. He started to run really hard the second half of last season and showed that he has some pretty good potential. I think he will ultimately end up more like Corey Dillon than Rudi Johnson.

Through some bookkeeping maneuvers with the contracts of quarterback Peyton Manning and defensive end Robert Mathis, the Indianapolis Colts lowered each player's 2007 salary-cap number and created more than $11 million in cap savings.

The team lowered Manning's $16.533 million cap number to $8.2 million by guaranteeing a $10 million roster bonus he is due and converting it to a signing bonus that can be pro-rated over the life of the contract.

An identical tactic was used with Mathis. By converting a $3.9 million roster bonus into a signing bonus and prorating it, the Colts lowered his cap number from $7.11 million to approximately $3.99 million.

Neither player took a pay decrease. By lowering their '07 cap numbers, the Colts increased future cap obligations of both.

link to Indy Star

Beware Colt fans! This is the route the Jags went years ago and it certainly hurt them. You'll end up cutting players in the future or paying them outrageous salaries.

Beware Colt fans! This is the route the Jags went years ago and it certainly hurt them. You'll end up cutting players in the future or paying them outrageous salaries.

Colts have been doing this for years. Polian knows what he's doing with the cap.

Of course it results in losing players like Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington, Steve McKinney, and Edgerrin James, but you have to keep your core together. The Colts have done a very good job of doing that, and then building with the draft. They aren't big players in free agency.

Colts have been doing this for years. Polian knows what he's doing with the cap.

Of course it results in losing players like Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington, Steve McKinney, and Edgerrin James, but you have to keep your core together. The Colts have done a very good job of doing that, and then building with the draft. They aren't big players in free agency.

No, he hasn't and they haven't, at least not regarding the D. He routinely overpays players he overrates (eg Brock, Reagor etc) and lets top quality guys go (some of which you already mentioned). The SB ring is great and the D's playoff run was amazing, but this was in spite of spotty management by him, not because of it.

Re. the specific players, they should re-sign either Stokley or Proehl, if not both, depending on price. Rhodes is worth seriously persuing too, but again $ may not make it feasible. Pass on Stay-Puft Simon.

No, he hasn't and they haven't, at least not regarding the D.

Yes, they have. The Colts have never had to have a salary cap purge, despite being a winning team 7 of the last eight years. They've been able to retain their core players (Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Edge, Freeney, Mathis, Glenn, Harper, Brackett, Saturday). They've drafted wisely. They replaced Peterson with Thornton when Mike went to Jax. They replaced Washington with Thornton when he went to the skins. They replaced Thornton with June when Thornton moved to strong side. They replaced Thornton with Gilbert Gardner/Rob Morris this year when they WON the SB.

How are Reagor and Brock overpaid???? Brock has been a versatile d lineman that can play end or tackle. Reagor has always been solid. Are you going to blame Polian for his car accident?

The D was ravaged by injuries this year, Simon, Reagor, Doss and Sanders, all missed significant portions of the year. Yet all the starters in the SB were drafted by the Colts or picked up as FA's without having played for another team, except Booger McFarland, (who polian traded for). I'd say that's pretty good drafting and cap management. And that's not even talking about how he's managed to keep that offense together . . .

Edited by CaptainHook

I'd say that's pretty good drafting and cap management. And that's not even talking about how he's managed to keep that offense together . . .

Polian was responsible for acquiring (via either the draft, FA, or trade) ALL of the Colts SB roster except for Marvin and Tarik Glenn. Polian was also responsible for putting together the Bills team that went to four straight SBs. He hired Marv Levy, stole Jim Kelly from the USFL, drafted Thurman Thomas, and acquired Cornelius Bennett. He was played a role in signing Bruce Smith before he was GM. Before coming to Indy, Polian also took the expansion Carolina Panthers to the NFC Championship Game in their second season.

That's a rock-solid GM.

First FYI I'm not saying Polian is worthless by any means, but he is also not the "genius" people make him out to be, esp when it comes to defenses, and has made more than his share of goofs. And for the 2d time, that playoff run was incredible, but their D even when healthy is generally lame and he is largely to blame.

Yes, they have. The Colts have never had to have a salary cap purge, despite being a winning team 7 of the last eight years.

Ya think having Manning might make a bit of a diff there? Other teams have kept winning for a handful or so of years too, esp with one of the best QBs around.

They've been able to retain their core players (Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Edge, Freeney, Mathis, Glenn, Harper, Brackett, Saturday).
I give you the offensive side of the ball (although FYI they didn't retain EJ). Re. the rest, Freeney can rush the QB but neither he nor Mathis could stop a nose from running (PS he didn't want to draft Freeney anyway), Harper by most accounts is gone this year, and Brackett sucks.

They've drafted wisely.
It's been somewhat spotty, actually - plus many of the good picks he DOES make he lets go.

They replaced Peterson with Thornton when Mike went to Jax. They replaced Washington with Thornton when he went to the skins. They replaced Thornton with June when Thornton moved to strong side. They replaced Thornton with Gilbert Gardner/Rob Morris this year when they WON the SB.
Case in point. If you think letting stud LB after stud LB go and ending up with Gilbert Grape and Morris was condusive to them winning the SB, you need to put the crack pipe down.

How are Reagor and Brock overpaid???? Brock has been a versatile d lineman that can play end or tackle. Reagor has always been solid.
Yep definitely put the crack pipe down. lol @ hyping two lightweight DTs who can't stop the run. cmon....

The D was ravaged by injuries this year, Simon, Reagor, Doss and Sanders, all missed significant portions of the year. Yet all the starters in the SB were drafted by the Colts or picked up as FA's without having played for another team, except Booger McFarland, (who polian traded for). I'd say that's pretty good drafting and cap management.
True, they did have injury problems, and yeah I love being able to "stay within the team" - not saying they should bite at every big FA. But if their re-signings, moves etc were so great, why, despite having one of the if not the leagues' most potent offenses, in fact (over extended time) one of the best ever, as well as a QB people are finally realizing ranks among the best ever, it took 8 years to even get in a SB? Largely because of lame defense after lame defense. I'm still amazed they won this one w/that D.

I give you the offensive side of the ball (although FYI they didn't retain EJ). Re. the rest, Freeney can rush the QB but neither he nor Mathis could stop a nose from running (PS he didn't want to draft Freeney anyway), Harper by most accounts is gone this year, and Brackett sucks.

FYI they DID retain Edge for one year past his original contract by franchising him.

Harper was an undrafted free agent the Colts have had to re-sign, most recently two years ago. Just becasue he might be gone NOW, doesn't negate the fact they did retain his services in the past. . .

It's been somewhat spotty, actually - plus many of the good picks he DOES make he lets go.

Somewhat spotty? :D Are you serious? I'd put Polian's drafting ahead of every other GM in the league. Manning, Edge, Wayne, Freeney, Sanders, Clark, June, and the wizardry they've worked on the offensive line using mostly late round draft picks. "Many" of the good picks he let's go? Marcus Washington and Mike Peterson come to mind. Who else? How many play-off games have they won? Let alone a SB? :D

Case in point. If you think letting stud LB after stud LB go and ending up with Gilbert Grape and Morris was condusive to them winning the SB, you need to put the crack pipe down.

Yep definitely put the crack pipe down. lol @ hyping two lightweight DTs who can't stop the run. cmon....

They won the SB with them. They aren't tied down with huge contracts with them. I guess I'm wondering what you are complaining about.

I wouldn't call Marcus Washington or Mike Peterson "stud" LBs. They're both pretty good, but not elite.

Expanding on this point, I think that it'd be a big mistake to let June walk. If they did, they'd be stuck with Rob Morris, Rocky Boiman, Gilbert Gardner, Keith O'Neil, and Tyjuan Hagler at OLB. Ouch. Since they're probably going to use their first-round pick on a DT and they don't have a second-round pick, they wouldn't be able to draft an OLB until the end of the 3rd round... and they're not going to get a high-quality player there. Even it comes at the expense of a solid corner like Harper, they need to get stronger at OLB. It's downright amazing that their run D played so much better in the playoffs and I wouldn't expect it to happen again.