[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Falcons look to trade QB Matt Schaub

TheGrunt

Offensive Coordinator Knapp and Offensive Line Coach Noble just came from Atlanta's previous coaching staff to join the Raiders. Knapp knows Schuab pretty well, so hopefully the Raiders are in serious discussion with Atlanta right now

If we traded Moss for Schwab, and drafted Calvin with the first that would be a great start for Kiffen.

Being a Bronco fan, I hope this happens because that means that their offensive line will be a disaster once again. If they are smart, they will not draft Calvin, but go after an Olineman or two in the draft to help what is the worst oline in the world.

Being a Bronco fan, I hope this happens because that means that their offensive line will be a disaster once again. If they are smart, they will not draft Calvin, but go after an Olineman or two in the draft to help what is the worst oline in the world.

I agree somewhat...the Raiders must address their poor offensive line play but there are more ways to do that than drafting linemen early....the Patriots have proved that by drafting linemen late and molding them into solid starters.

Gallery was a 1st rounder, Grove was a 2nd rounder, McQuistan was a 3rd rounder, Walker was a 1st or 2nd, Simms was a 1st or 2nd...so the Raiders have drafted linemen early...that isnt the problem...the poor blocking schemes and the out-of-date offensive gameplan used were the primary factors of the poor offensive line play last year.

If you look at the line numbers from when Turner was coach versus when Shell was coach, you will find that almost the same exact linemen played a lot better under the zone-blocking scheme that Turner's offensive line coach taught, versus the archaic man to man scheme the Slater/Shell taught.

Also, Walsh's offense played a big role in the poor offensive line play because for more than half the season the QBs were told to continuously take 7 step drops and wait for 1 or 2 outlets to open up before passing...this resulted in sacks half the time because the 1 or 2 outlets in Walsh's archaic scheme would not always get open. In more modern offenses, the QB often has 3 to 4 outlets to go to, resulting in far less sacks. In more modern offenses the QBs arent forced to continuously take 7 step drops everytime the team passes the ball.

Walsh's offense which worked in the 60s, 70s and part of the 80s does not work against todays defenses that bring the blitz more often and have more complicated coverages and was the biggest factor in contributing to the horrible sack total the Raiders gave up last year.

Simply bringing in a more modern offense will improve line play because there will be less 7 step drops, more outlets to throw the ball to, and more consistency in terms of offensive production.

With that said, I expect a lineman or two to be grabbed during the free agency period to provide a bit more experience to the primarily young offensive line.

Eagles traded AJ Feeley based on 3 or 4 games maybe and got a 2nd round pick for him..

teams think alot more of Schaub than they did Feeley and he has shown more talent....

I expect him to be moved for a 1st round pick and something else...he's a semi-young QB with very little NFL experience...

How bout the Bears? Or the Chiefs?

Angelo's ego will block a trade to Chicago. The Chefs might be a possibility, though.

Agreed with Seahomo21 that Schaub probably won't nab a first-rounder. Unless, of course, Al Davis decides that he wants to use that first-round pick on a QB rather than another kicker. :D

I believe Schaub to be one of the truly misplaced talents in the NFL. If memory serves, he didn't play his Jr yr with an ACL injury. I still believe that most experts/pundits say that it is that which cost Schaub a starting gig, as he came cheap, even after a very nice senior yr. The Raiders would not be a good fit, as Schaub still needs a effective O line. It will be interesting to see it play out. Also, for the disgruntled Panther fan, Henning was a dinosaur and the Panther staff finally realized that the rest of the league pretty much knew the plays they ran, especially when they already knew the TE was not involved, teams had that offensive scheme figured out and this is the NFL and these DC are very good. Panthers have all the talent they need-they just need a new system and plays because the old scheme was writing on the wall......everybody couls see it and read it.