[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Take your own wonderlic test

Bronco Billy

You have 2 minutes, 40 seconds to answer the following questions. Answers will be in white below the questions (draw your cursor across them to make them appear). Please don't put answers in your response, but it might be interesting to put your score up, out of 12, that you answered correctly in 2:40.

Ready?

1. Assume the first 2 statements are true. Is the final one:

1. True

2. False

3. Not certain

The boy plays baseball. All baseball players wear hats. The boy wears a hat.

2. Paper sells for 21 cents per pad. What will 4 pads cost?

3. How many of the five pairs of items listed below are exact duplicates?

Nieman, K.M. Neiman, K.M.

Thomas, G.K. Thomas, C.K.

Hoff, J.P. Hoff, J.P.

Pino, L.R. Pina, L.R.

Warner, T.S. Wanner, T.S.

4. PRESENT, RESENT — Do these words:

1. Have similar meanings

2. Have contradictory meanings

3. Mean neither the same nor opposite

5. A train travels 20 feet in 1/5 second. At this same speed, how many feet will it travel in three seconds?

6. When rope is selling at $.10 a foot, how many feet can you buy for sixty cents?

7. The ninth month of the year is:

1. October

2. January

3. June

4. September

5. May

8. Which number in the following group of numbers represents the smallest amount?

9. In printing an article of 48,000 words, a printer decides to use two sizes of type. Using the larger type, a printed page contains 1,800 words. Using smaller type, a page contains 2,400 words. The article is allotted 21 full pages in a magazine. How many pages must be in smaller type?

10. Three individuals form a partnership and agree to divide the profits equally. X invests $9,000, Y invests $7,000, Z invests $4,000. If the profits are $4,800, how much less does X receive than if the profits were divided in proportion to the amount invested?

11. Assume the first two statements are true. Is the final one:

1. True

2. False

3. Not certain

Tom greeted Beth. Beth greeted Dawn. Tom did not greet Dawn.

12. A boy is 17 years old and his sister is twice as old. When the boy is 23 years old, what will be the age of his sister?

Answers:

1. True

2. 84 cents

3. 1

4. 3

5. 300 feet

6. 6 feet

7. September

8. .33

9. 17

10. $560

11. not certain

12. 40 years old

Source

Edited by Bronco Billy

#9 is WRONG

9. In printing an article of 48,000 words, a printer decides to use two sizes of type. Using the larger type, a printed page contains 1,800 words. Using smaller type, a page contains 2,400 words. The article is allotted 21 full pages in a magazine. How many pages must be in smaller type?

Verb: allot (allotted,allotting) u'lót

1. Give out

- assign, portion

2. Allow to have

- accord, grant

3. Administer or bestow, as in small portions

- distribute, administer, mete out, deal, parcel out, lot, dispense, shell out, deal out, dish out, dole out, mete, dole

i guess it is semantics but it says its been allotted 21 pages it doesnt state the article has to take up all 21 pages..that and one could safely assume that anything that is published would be done so in the same type size.

i got 9 of 12 if you go by the answer for #9 otherwise i got 10/12

Edited by keggerz

:D

I get the same answer that they do. I'd say you aren't 12 for 12, keg...

i know you are just ribbing me but that question is flawed for the answer that they supply

48,000 divided by 2400=20pages, 20 pages fits within the allotment the article was given..no where does the question specifically state the written article MUST be 21 full pages.

EDIT: i will concede that PRINTER DECIDES may designate that both types have to be used.

Edited by keggerz

i know you are just ribbing me but that question is flawed for the answer that they supply

48,000 divided by 2400=20pages, 20 pages fits within the allotment the article was given..no where does the question specifically state the written article MUST be 21 full pages.

While you might be technically correct, that it says that the article is alloted 21 pages, one has to make the asumption that the article has to take up 21 pages because of the allowance of space (what, are you going to have a blank page at the end?). There is also a clear - albeit unwritten - assumption that large type is more desireable than small type.

So you make a decent argument but are being decidedly picyune, which I'd hold against you as a NFL player.

#9 is WRONG

i guess it is semantics but it says its been allotted 21 pages it doesnt state the article has to take up all 21 pages..that and one could safely assume that anything that is published would be done so in the same type size.

i got 9 of 12 if you go by the answer for #9 otherwise i got 10/12

#9 is... mostly... correct. Probably worded slightly incorrectly. But if you took algebra 1, you recognized the question and its intent. It is semantics. But I think most people understood the question to mean, how many pages of each size do you need to use all 21 pages. The fact that 17 pages at small type and four at large equal exactly 48,000 leads me to believe it is correct.

EDIT: i will concede that PRINTER DECIDES may designate that both types have to be used.

That was my first though, but I did the calc anyways...and miscalculate (I should have done it on paper...not in my head)

11/12

...one has to make the assumption...

Well, we know what happens when you assume something...

The last one also has some wiggle room. The "correct" answer is 40, however it would depend on when you were comparing dates relative to the two siblings birthdays. The more correct answer would be 40 +/- 1 year.

I was in the same boat as alexgaddis, 11/12 because I was too lazy to figure out #9.

Well, we know what happens when you assume something...

The last one also has some wiggle room. The "correct" answer is 40, however it would depend on when you were comparing dates relative to the two siblings birthdays. The more correct answer would be 40 +/- 1 year.

I was in the same boat as alexgaddis, 11/12 because I was too lazy to figure out #9.

It says the boy is 17 and the girl is twice his age. Not a year from now, two years from now or in ten years.

I think it takes assuming to see that the questions are worded incorrectly, imo.

Edited by MikesVikes

:D 2. Paper sells for 21 cents per pad. What will 4 pads cost?

Why doesn't anyone have any problem with this one? Are you suppose to assume that a pad is being sold to a customer and not what the pads cost the person that is selling them? Or did everyone just got that one right and moved on?

:D 2. Paper sells for 21 cents per pad. What will 4 pads cost?

Why doesn't anyone have any problem with this one? Are you suppose to assume that a pad is being sold to a customer and not what the pads cost the person that is selling them? Or did everyone just got that one right and moved on?

:D @ MV & Keg.

Imagine this: MV & Keg get drafted by a pro team at WR. They only scored a 4 & a 2 respectively on the Wonderlic but their talent makes a team pick them anyhow.

1st day of practice:

Coach: Okay, Keg - you do a 10 yard in and MV - you do a 15 yard hook & sit.

MV: Got it coach! Then what?

Coach: You catch the ball if it's thrown to you.

Keg: Okay, got it. You didn't mention anything about catching a pass when you told us what route to run.

Coach: Geez, guys, c'mon. You have played this game before, right?

MV: Okay, I want to review this - so you want us to run or patterns and THEN catch the ball if it's thrown to us, right?

Coach (rolling eyes): Yeah, and then try to run it in for a TD.

Keg: Whoa, whoa, whoa! Slow down there, coach. Now you want us to run with the ball if we catch it?

Coach (exasperated): Yeah, I want you to run after you catch the football. What the Hell do you think you're supposed to do?

MV: Okay, now let me see if I have this right - First you want us to run our patterns, and THEN you want us to catch the ball if it's thrown to us and THEN run with the ball if we catch it? And you expected us to understand all that when you just told us to run a pattern?

Keg: Yeah, man, you've got to be explicit, okay? Alright, I think I got this now. So if we run with the ball after we catch it, how far should we run? To the goal line, or to the back of the end line, or past the end line?

Coach: %@*%^&*%*!@@$$((*!!!!! Tell you what, you 2 dumbasses, why don't you just run & get your play books, and then run over and hand then to me, and then run your sorry smart asses right out of here & to the burger palace or wherever you want to work for the rest of your lives. Kee-rist! I knew a 2 on the Wonderlic should have told me they weren't worth it.

Keg & MV: Geez, what bug crawled up his ass? What, is he a frickin' idiot?

:D @ MV & Keg.

Imagine this: MV & Keg get drafted by a pro team at WR. They only scored a 4 & a 2 respectively on the Wonderlic but their talent makes a team pick them anyhow.

1st day of practice:

Keg: Okay, got it. You didn't mention anything about catching a pass when you told us what route to run.

MV: Okay, I want to review this - so you want us to run or patterns and THEN catch the ball if it's thrown to us, right?

Keg: Whoa, whoa, whoa! Slow down there, coach. Now you want us to run with the ball if we catch it?

Coach (exasperated): Yeah, I want you to run after you catch the football. What the Hell do you think you're supposed to do?

MV: Okay, now let me see if I have this right - First you want us to run our patterns, and THEN you want us to catch the ball if it's thrown to us and THEN run with the ball if we catch it? And you expected us to understand all that when you just told us to run a pattern?

Keg: Yeah, man, you've got to be explicit, okay? Alright, I think I got this now. So if we run with the ball after we catch it, how far should we run? To the goal line, or to the back of the end line, or past the end line?

Coach: %@*%^&*%*!@@$$((*!!!!! Tell you what, you 2 dumbasses, why don't you just run & get your play books, and then run over and hand then to me, and then run your sorry smart asses right out of here & to the burger palace or wherever you want to work for the rest of your lives. Kee-rist! I knew a 2 on the Wonderlic should have told me they weren't worth it.

If the difficulty of this abbreviated test is truly representative of what is given to the players, I'd say that you have to be a real idiot to score below a 20. I was interrupted by a co-worker for ~20 seconds in the middle of taking it and still got a 10/12 within the time limit.

:tup: @ MV & Keg.

1st day of practice:

Yea, that coach would be an idiot if he didn't tell us to catch the frickin ball and just expected us to. :D

Maybe this should be mentioned to the Vikings receivers.

But I'd like to point out that I was on your side in the argument. I rest my case. :D

If the difficulty of this abbreviated test is truly representative of what is given to the players, I'd say that you have to be a real idiot to score below a 20. I was interrupted by a co-worker for ~20 seconds in the middle of taking it and still got a 10/12 within the time limit.

Pretty good indicator of one of two things (or a combination of them):

1) It shows how much time the college athletes spend getting an education

2) It shows how much they care about the test.

That in turn is a pretty good indicator why we have threads about Pac-Man Jones & Odell Thurman at the the top of page one, among numerous other issues where pro athletes can't seem to comply with societal rules despite the consequence of losing millions of dollars.

Edited by Bronco Billy

2) It shows how much they care about the test.

I'd assume that most would be willing to try for a whole 12 mintues, given that their score influences their contract to a certain extent.

I'd say that the degree of functional illiteracy in the NFL probably plays a greater role. Perhaps the problem isn't their lack of intelligence, but the fact that many of them can't even read the freaking questions.