[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Damien Nash collapses and dies

budlitebrad

Very sad.

100% pure speculation here but.. the event was a charity game to raise money for his older brother who had a heart transplant last month. Obviously his sibling had a serious enough heart issue to require a transplant.. sounds like there might be some serious genetic issues in that family.

Man - how tragic can you get? He's not doing drugs or speeding or anything wrong. He died at the charity basketball for his brother's heart foundation. Just seems surreal.

Very sad.

100% pure speculation here but.. the event was a charity game to raise money for his older brother who had a heart transplant last month. Obviously his sibling had a serious enough heart issue to require a transplant.. sounds like there might be some serious genetic issues in that family.

unbelievable.. this is one of the worst deaths ive ever heard of from an athlete like this in his prime. i was shocked when i saw it on the bottom ticker on espn.

Very sad.

I agree

Very sad.

Yep. I would bet the autopsy shows a serious congenital heart defect. Sad sad story.

I saw somewhere that heart disease was very common in his family. It's hard to imagine that Darris needed a heart transplant and his brother Damien died unexpectedly from the same thing. Darris was probably unhealthy for a very long time while Damien was a healthy football player. If Damien had a congenital heart defect, wouldn't they have known this at some point, especially since he has a family history?

Why Are Heart Transplants Performed?

A heart transplant procedure is considered when heart failure is so severe that it does not respond to all other therapies, but the person's health is otherwise good. The leading reasons why people receive heart transplants are because they have:

Dilated cardiomyopathy

Severe coronary artery disease with scarred heart tissue from a heart attack

Birth defects of the heart

link