[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McGahee to Giants?

Dr. Rock

Not sure how I feel about this. He's been good-but-not-great since he got into the league, but I don't think he'd be happy splitting carries with Jacobs. And what would he cost? I'd give up a 3rd rounder for him, but no higher. And I can't see the Bills letting him go for that little.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2778174

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Buffalo Bills are using part of their time here at the NFL scouting combine this weekend to apprise teams that starting tailback Willis McGahee is available via trade, and it appears they have attracted the interest of at least one potential suitor.

Jerry Reese, the first-year general manager of the New York Giants, acknowledged Saturday morning that his team has some interest in McGahee, a four-year veteran who has twice posted 1,000-yard seasons.

"There is some talk about Willis out there," Reese said. "We'll investigate Willis. We'll investigate everybody out there with trade talks. We'll leave no stones unturned."

The Giants are seeking to bolster a tailback depth chart thinned by the retirement of star Tiki Barber, and where two-year veteran Brandon Jacobs is now the nominal starter. The Giants feel Jacobs has a strong upside, but Barber's former backup has logged just 134 carries in two seasons.

Jacobs carried 96 times for 423 yards in 2006, but he posted double-digit rushing attempts in only three games and will have to demonstrate in camp that he is able to assume the workhorse load that Barber once shouldered. The ideal situation, Reese allowed, would be for Jacobs to win the starting job and for the team to have a complementary back, maybe a veteran, on hand as well.

"We're looking for Brandon to probably carry the ball 20 times and for another running back [to carry] 15 times," Reese said. "[Jacobs] will carry the maximum amount of the load for us, I'm assuming, if everything goes like we expect it to."

In truth, though, McGahee is a more accomplished back than Jacobs, and he certainly would compete hard for the No. 1 job if the Giants acquired him. It is not believed that there have been any substantive trade discussions yet between the Giants and the Bills. But officials from other teams confirmed that the Bills are actively pursuing trade partners for McGahee, the team's first-round choice in the 2003 draft.

Buffalo officials seem to have soured on McGahee, who has not asked to be traded, but who is entering the final year of his contract in 2007. McGahee could depart as a free agent after the 2007 season and the Bills, wary of the possibility he could exit with them getting nothing in return, have taken a active stance in trying to find him a new home.

It is not known if any other teams have indicated an interest in McGahee. The former University of Miami standout has appeared in 46 games, including 40 starts, and carried 868 times for 3,365 yards and 24 touchdowns.

McGahee, 25, missed his entire rookie campaign as he recovered from the catastrophic knee injury that ended his college career, then rushed for over 1,000 yards each in 2004 and 2005, before running for 990 yards last season.

In an unrelated move, the Giants reached agreement with two-year veteran linebacker Chase Blackburn on a four-year, $3.5 million contract. Blackburn is expected to vie for a starting job in the Giants' revamped linebacker corps in 2007.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how I feel about this. He's been good-but-not-great since he got into the league, but I don't think he'd be happy splitting carries with Jacobs. And what would he cost? I'd give up a 3rd rounder for him, but no higher. And I can't see the Bills letting him go for that little.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2778174

They were talking about it on Sirius the other day. Not sure if itll happen or not, but if I were the Bills, I might try to make a move. Willis doesnt wanna be in Buffalo, so F him. He doesnt run hard enough, he doesnt DO enough, PERIOD. Yet he is the best in the league right? Pff...

Anyway, I dont know what theyd get for him, but I really could care less if he leaves. ANY RB can put up the numbers he has been putting up.

They were talking about it on Sirius the other day. Not sure if itll happen or not, but if I were the Bills, I might try to make a move. Willis doesnt wanna be in Buffalo, so F him. He doesnt run hard enough, he doesnt DO enough, PERIOD. Yet he is the best in the league right? Pff...

Anyway, I dont know what theyd get for him, but I really could care less if he leaves. ANY RB can put up the numbers he has been putting up.

agreed, he's all talk and he doesn't do enough to back it up

"We're looking for Brandon to probably carry the ball 20 times and for another running back [to carry] 15 times," Reese said. "[Jacobs] will carry the maximum amount of the load for us, I'm assuming, if everything goes like we expect it to."

Now as a Jacobs' owner, that's music to my ears. Jacobs will be a top 10 FF RB with that kind of workload & then adding a few catches.

Sounds like the Giants are looking for a RB who can take 240+ touches themselves and don't mind not being a featured RB. Rhodes & Ahman Green fit that bill better than McGahee, and the price on either is going to be a lot better.

Jacobs is an unproven every down back obviously and although he certainly appears able to be the main back I would have no problem taking a chance with mcgahee if the prices is not too steep

Agreed.

I think McGahee does not get the respect he deserves as a NFL back because he has been behind such a bad line.

Neither are likely to be the primary back so I'd assume the Bills will either look in FA (not very much there) or in the draft. They may well trade up.

I would think they would do the same, but they might spend this year building the line. I wouldnt be surprised if they traded McGahee and gave it to AT for the year. Let him see if he still has some gas. Jauron got a good year from him in Chicago, why not another one if they have a good line?

I would think they would do the same, but they might spend this year building the line. I wouldnt be surprised if they traded McGahee and gave it to AT for the year. Let him see if he still has some gas. Jauron got a good year from him in Chicago, why not another one if they have a good line?

I would agree with this and could see this play out with AT

Good point. I forgot the Jauron connection and I've always thought AT got a bum deal in Chicago. He may well be serviceable enough.

not sure how you could say that...noone's seen what he can do with the full load. Not even sure if he gets a full load at this point.

If NY is looking to add a back (any of the rumors of Ahman, Willis, Rhodes, etc) they must think that Jacobs can't carry the ball 20-30 times a game. True, teams like having 2 backs but it doesn't look like they are planning on making Jacobs the #1. Looks like he will stay the change of pace guy and they will get a new #1.

Now as a Jacobs' owner, that's music to my ears. Jacobs will be a top 10 FF RB with that kind of workload & then adding a few catches.

Sounds like the Giants are looking for a RB who can take 240+ touches themselves and don't mind not being a featured RB. Rhodes & Ahman Green fit that bill better than McGahee, and the price on either is going to be a lot better.

Obviously in a BOTH league.

I'm not a Jacobs owner but would like to see him get the lion's share of the workload. I absolutely agree with your assement BB that D. Rhodes and A.Green would be a better fit than McGahee. I'm wondering if Rhodes is looking for more of a featured role though? Not sure if any team would be willing to commit to him as the featured rb. I think Ahman would fit real well. He understands he's in the twilight of his career and probably won't get a featured roll if he leaves Green Bay. Since Eli's having some confidence issues Green would be a good safety valve for him out of the backfield as well. Just hope the G-men go for a back that's going to compliment Jacobs and give him a chance to be the man.