[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My thoughs on the uaf football program

polksalet

I was going to post this on the cfball board but it as dead as Dillinger.

A friend of mine who is a grad of uaf hates Houston Nutt and thinks he is holding uaf back from the promised land. He also did not know what the mnc is. Here is my reply.

MNC = Mythical National Championship. It not a real championship that is played for. It is a popularity contest. Until there is a playoff that is all it can be.

The two first rounders are scrubs and this is why. Anderson is a fantastic player but was recruited as a wr. No one saw this coming and he was not highly touted at all coming out of hs, therefore he was a scrub. Ugoh was not even offered by aTm, tu, or itt (Texas Tech). He was a scrub and considered a low level talent. Houston the cb was fairly highly regarded however but not what you would call a stud recruit at all.

Mcfadden was highly thought of and was the (second) best (Adrian Peterson) rb everywhere but Arkansas. Felix Jones is an also ran. He thrived playing second fiddle to Mcfadden. No, several tems including tu, and aTmhave backfields with equal talent to Arkansas one you factor in the overrated abilities of Felix Jones.

Bottomline is that Arkansas generally gets the scrubs noone else wants. This also applies to in-state guys (see Brett Smith and Roshaun Fellows from Warren, And Barnett from Texarkana, And Herb Grigsby, ah nevermind the list is too long).

The fact is that Houston Nutt does more with less than any coach I have ever seen. And uaf will always have less because in the great scheme of thins is is a low rent school. I know, I know, it is the flagship of the stae and all that but it is like being the king of Haiti. True, in Haiti you are special but compared to Nigeria or Uganda you are a cull.

Uaf has around 12k students and is in an area that while popular with 80 y/o women and Berkenstock wearing bull dikes, just lacks the same appeal to 18 y/o men that Miami and LA has. I have no idea what that could be. I mean, who wants a blonde hardbody beach babe when you can have a fat chick with hairy armpits smoking a kool.

The fact is that football success is about talent and talent is about recruiting. You cannot consistently recruit top tier talent to the hills of Arkansas. Arkansas could as easily be named Virgina Tech or Kansas State. They are nothing special and will likely never win the mnc although last I checked neither VT nor KSU manufactured a lie about winning one 40 years ago but I digress.

One thing we do not know is what Nutt would do with great talent. Does he know how to win the big one? Could he do it at all? Is he mediocre? I really do not know. I can tell you this however, they were equal to that clown fest that aTm produced this fall with FARRRRRRR less talent.