[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Randy Moss Trade Talk

Outshined

Wearin' of the green?

Packers have interest in Moss, but receiver would bring lots of baggage

Posted: Feb. 27, 2007

Indianapolis - The Oakland Raiders are trying to dump Randy Moss and the Green Bay Packers definitely are interested if the former all-pro wide receiver would agree to a restructured contact in order to play with a better team and Brett Favre.

Sources close to the situation said the Packers had explored trading for Moss, the temperamental former Minnesota Viking who once pretended to moon the crowd at Lambeau Field.

The two teams have had preliminary dialogue but at this point the Packers consider Moss to be an economically unfeasible solution to their need for another receiver alongside Donald Driver and Greg Jennings.

Moss has two years left on his contract, including base salaries of $9.75 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in '08. Moss' business agent is Tim DiPiero, but some of his affairs are handled by James "Bus" Cook, the only agent Favre has ever had. Mindful of tampering rules, general manager Ted Thompson and Packers coach Mike McCarthy have carefully avoided talking about Moss. Yet, neither has denied interest in him, either.

"You have the opportunity to obtain players for your program through the draft and free agency, and he's another part of free agency," McCarthy said last week. "That's where I stand on that."

The trading period opens Friday. New England and Jacksonville reportedly also are interested in Moss.

Several Raiders sources at the NFL combine indicated that Moss wasn't expected back in '07.

"Moss quit on us last year," one Raiders employee said. "My feeling is he wants to go someplace where they can win. He knows he only has X number of years left and he's never, ever won at any level."

The Raiders were last in just about everything in 2006 and are starting over with a novice head coach, Lane Kiffin, and what might be a rookie quarterback, JaMarcus Russell.

It can be safely assumed that owner Al Davis will start out seeking a first-round draft choice for Moss, who cost the Raiders the seventh overall pick in the 2005 draft and linebacker Napoleon Harris to obtain him from the Vikings just more than two years ago. But, in reality, the Raiders have almost no hope of getting one.

Moss is viewed by many in the league as a declining player, having turned 30 earlier in the month and coming off his poorest season. And with new NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell gung-ho about cracking down on poor behavior by players, some teams say they wouldn't touch Moss.

"I don't think that works," a personnel director for an AFC team said. "I'd develop other guys. You don't want him. It will be a big story. The story will be him, not your team."

There are general managers who wouldn't even consider adding Moss or any player regardless of ability if his character is questionable. But Thompson, who last September signed wide receiver Koren Robinson when he had one foot out of the league for off-field issues, isn't one of them.

Scouts also left the RCA Dome on Sunday afternoon enthusiastically endorsing the number of big, talented wide receivers in the draft.

Kiffin and the Raiders already have made up with wide receiver Jerry Porter, who will be back wearing Tim Brown's old jersey number (81). Ronald Curry led the team with 62 receptions last season and also should return.

Over the years, Davis has relished putting one over on teams in trades, but with Moss he might well end up just taking what he can get.

"I think he's got second-round value but I don't know if anybody would give a two," another AFC personnel director said. "I think clubs will know he's not happy there and he wants to move on. They'll wait it out and say, 'We'll get him at our number.' A three, a four, maybe with conditions."

McCarthy has indicated in the past month that he is in on board with Thompson's philosophy of accumulating picks and building through the draft. He's also well aware what a motivated Moss might mean for an offense that has a receiving void at tight end and little depth at wide receiver.

"You watch the tapes, he can still make you pay if you screw up," said Frank Bush, senior defensive assistant for the Houston Texans. "If he can just have an open area to run, if you don't press him and do some things to screw the route up, when he starts going he can still run and make a big play."

Last season, a Raiders source said Moss didn't like quarterback Aaron Brooks from Day 1 and at one point asked to be traded. When the trade didn't happen, Moss basically went through the motions.

"When we didn't trade him he was like a little kid who threw a tantrum when his parents wouldn't give him something," the source said. "So his tantrum was dropping passes."

According to STATS, Moss dropped eight of 97 targeted throws, or 8.5%. In his three previous seasons he dropped just 14 of 381, or 3.7%. He sat out the final three games with an ankle injury of disputed severity.

"Unfortunately for Randy, it's everybody else's fault except his," said Carl Peterson, president of the Kansas City Chiefs. "I thought Art (Shell) really tried to work hard this year to make him a leader, but that's not his personality.

"He's never done anything to hurt the Chiefs."

Carefully emphasizing his choice of tense, Peterson added, "He was a great talent. You can't play at that (current) level for a while and come back."

Some but not all Raiders employees say Moss has lost a step since his halcyon days in Minnesota, when almost no cornerback in the league could run with him. He didn't participate in the Raiders' off-season program and hasn't always taken good care of his body.

His longest reception in 2006 was 51 yards, when he tied for 78th in the NFL with 42 receptions and ranked 73rd in receiving yards with 553. He scored three touchdowns, giving him 101 in eight seasons, and averaged 13.2 per catch.

"He's a one-dimensional guy who has kind of gone downhill," said a secondary coach for an Oakland foe in '06. "He's going to try to take you deep but he doesn't finish plays. You know when he's going to get the ball just by the way he comes off the line of scrimmage."

His lackadaisical effort as a secondary receiver and blocker was brought up by four defensive coaches for teams that faced Moss last year.

"He still has the ability," Cincinnati defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan said. "It's just a question whether he will lay it on the line for you and buy into it."

An executive for an AFC West team has major reservations if Moss' heart still is in football.

"Does he have the desire to do the types of things he did with (Daunte) Culpepper and Denny Green?" the personnel man said. "Does he really still want to play, or is he in it for the money?"

The Raiders say Moss does have a strong mercenary side to him. One of their employees described him as "mischievous" and "playful," but not loud or disruptive.

"He's been allowed to get away with things in life so he will push you as far as he can possibly push you," one of the Raiders said. "On our team there was nobody to play the role of a player Randy respected.

"If he had respect for Brett, then he could bust his tail for him."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=571398

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wearin' of the green?

Packers have interest in Moss, but receiver would bring lots of baggage

"If he had respect for Brett, then he could bust his tail for him."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=571398

If he comes to play the Packer offense just became the best in the NFC. throw in drafting of Marshawn Lynch and things look even better. That young OL improved all year.

It can be safely assumed that owner Al Davis will start out seeking a first-round draft choice for Moss

Moss is viewed by many in the league as a declining player, having turned 30 earlier in the month and coming off his poorest season.

"I think he's got second-round value but I don't know if anybody would give a two"

McCarthy has indicated in the past month that he is in on board with Thompson's philosophy of accumulating picks and building through the draft. He's also well aware what a motivated Moss might mean for an offense that has a receiving void at tight end and little depth at wide receiver.

No thanks. I'm not sure if I would be happy if we gave a third for him... Jennings has got potential to be a real player, Driver already is... KoRo will return around week six. Lets keep the pick and continue to path we're on.

Edited by piratesownninjas

Dillon was a problem but Moss is on a whole different level.

I don't think the guy wants to play.

He'd be a challenge for any team, even New England.

I'd kind of like to see him go there to see if they can get him to put forth some effort.

Do you remember Dillons last year in Cincy?

Here is a thread from the MB in 2004 for what people were saying about Dillon going to the Pats.

Kind of interesting. We forget his rap for having a "I don't care" attitude and for being hurt often prior to going to NE.

Ha, I have hated this guy non stopped since he pulled his non-sense.

Lol. I googled "Patriots unselfish players" and the first thing I get is an article with Randy Moss's name in it. :D

1. On Bill Belichick: “I could sit for hours and listen to men like Bill Belichick. Try losing 60 percent of your personnel every year at work. That’s what happens in the NFL. Belichick has been able to keep a core group of unselfish players together. He told me that it would never even cross his mind to acquire a selfish player like Randy Moss.

link

2. To fill the void of the Givens loss, the New England Patriots signed former San Diego Chargers slot receiver Reche Caldwell in March. Last season, Caldwell caught 28 passes in 16 games for the Chargers, so he's nothing spectacular, but he's the type of unselfish player who will fit in great with the Patriots. During their run of greatness, New England has had a group of unselfish receivers willing to catch less passes in order to experience greater group success. With Caldwell in the fold, that will likely continue.

link

3. I’m obviously very proud and very pleased with the way our players commit to that for the most part. They give us everything they have, in an unselfish but a very tough and determined manner.

link

I find it hard to believe that nobody here has ever heard "The Patriots are unselfish" story before. :D

4. Here's a link to the Good Dillon. The one that plays for the Pats. Not the Bad Dillon from the Bengals.

link

Here's another for kicks...

5. So it's understandable that eyebrows raised in April when the Patriots shipped a second-round pick to the Cincinnati Bengals for running back Corey Dillon, arrested twice early in his career (on negligent driving charges in 1998 and on fourth-degree domestic assault charges in 2000, a case dismissed after he met conditions of probation) and labeled a malcontent as he rushed for more than 8,000 yards.

With his most famous line, a frustrated Dillon said he'd "rather be flipping burgers" than playing with the Bengals.

Belichick says he's convinced Dillon's problems in Cincinnati were linked more to losing than bad character.

"If there was any doubt," Dillon says, "I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be here. And that's a safe bet."

From the same story...

How do they do it?

They score with their draft picks. They refuse to habitually open the vault with big splashes on the free-agent market, usually adding veterans with modest deals instead. They seek smart, unselfish players to mesh well within a team concept.

link

Edited by MikesVikes

Corey Dillon?

No one ever chalenged Dillon's work ethic or desire to give his all every play. Not even in the same zip code as Moss.

The Pats did their due diligence on Dillon before bringing him in. I don't know that Moss could survive the same kind of scrutiny. If he could convince them that he could be an upstanding, hard-working citizen in the same way that Dillon did -- and then prove it out...well I guess I'd welcome him. :D

The Pats did their due diligence on Dillon before bringing him in. I don't know that Moss could survive the same kind of scrutiny. If he could convince them that he could be an upstanding, hard-working citizen in the same way that Dillon did -- and then prove it out...well I guess I'd welcome him. :D

i was at mosses first game as a raider...the guy went for 130 with a 70 yard to catch...followed it up the next week with 130 and a td...i think he showed up in oakland with a renewed optimism and grew tired with incompetent coaching, teammates, and losing....i know he has a bit more of past than corey...but i think ultimately this situation in oakland resembles coreys situation in cincy..i think ultimately youve got to look past oakland and look more at what happened in minnesota

i think in new england he might truely be humbled in the presence of a revered coach and quarterback...guys whos competence he wont question...and were probably one of the few teams who can really afford to make this deal...being that we have 2 first rounders and a 2nd...and the fact that, if it doesnt work out for the best, it wont kill us...well be competing for an afc title regardless...i dont think anybody will be able to point and say that it killed you...were a team that i dont think, a worst case scenario moss, could affect and detract

ive read aaron rodgers for moss....lol...hey good for green bay....if i can give the pats second rounder for him...im doing it...and while im at it...im opening up the checkbook a little to dom rhodes and tapping the colts in the gut

Dillon was a problem but Moss is on a whole different level.

I don't think the guy wants to play.

He'd be a challenge for any team, even New England.

I'd kind of like to see him go there to see if they can get him to put forth some effort.

I dunno; can Moss help GB? Possibly. Koren Robinson is one bottle of gin away from a year-long suspension (if not more jail time), and Jennings rookie year proved one thing - that he can produce in the NFL - but not another - that he can stand up to the weekly pounding an NFL WR takes. I like Ruvell Martin and Holliday well enough as a 4 and a 5, but that's about it.

Moss is fading, but he can still contribute; part of the problem in Oak (and his last year or two in Minny) was that he was expected to take a leadership role. Bottom line is that if you're asking Randy Moss to lead your team, you have no leaders. Green Bay has enough other guys to take that mantle - Favre, Kampman, Donald Driver, even Brady Poppinga and AJ Hawk - that Moss could just go out and play.

His flaws remain - questionable work ethic, character (though to be fair he's never been in serious legal trouble, nor has he had a TO-level meltdown), and toughness - but if you're using him to take some of the heat off Donald Driver and keep Jennings fresh, I think it might be one of the better situations for him to fall into.

All this is dependent upon the right price - I'd be opposed to anything above a 3.

If he comes to play the Packer offense just became the best in the NFC. throw in drafting of Marshawn Lynch and things look even better. That young OL improved all year.

|---------- PASSING -----------||----- RUSHING -----|  TOTAL 		  CMP  ATT   YD	YPA   TD INT  ATT   YD	YPA  TD	 YD   		  350  630  3947   6.27  18  18  431  1663  3.86   9   5610NFL rank --->   5	1	9	 27   20  20   21   23	21   24	 10

The only number I would count on drastically improving would be yds/att. IF he's got the ability and desire, the pass offense might improve across the board (this including a decrease in atts and yds), and the run offense would get a slight bump as well.