[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I am an idiot

sundaynfl

:D

I have always seen EVOO referred to in various recipes and always wondered what the hell it was. It sounded like a special gourmet liquid ingredient, I always pictured it in a can that looked like an energy drink with a label similar to Illy Coffee!

Then tonight I was reading another post and as I read EVOO, it popped into my head and I finally realized what it stood for!!

:D:tup::doh:

Any other misconceptions or non perceptions out there??

I have always seen EVOO referred to in various recipes and always wondered what the hell it was. It sounded like a special gourmet liquid ingredient, I always pictured it in a can that looked like an energy drink with a label similar to Illy Coffee!

Then tonight I was reading another post and as I read EVOO, it popped into my head and I finally realized what it stood for!!

:D:tup::doh:

Any other misconceptions or non perceptions out there??

How do you get the extra in extra virgin olive oil if its already virgin olive oil ?

Extra refers to it being the highest quality of olive oil in taste, color, and purity. There are certain requirements that the oil must meet in order to be labeled extra virgin. I think someone posted an article in this forum about how the label may say "extra virgin" but it's not.

Extra refers to it being the highest quality of olive oil in taste, color, and purity. There are certain requirements that the oil must meet in order to be labeled extra virgin. I think someone posted an article in this forum about how the label may say "extra virgin" but it's not.

here's a link to wikipedia

Since IOOC standards are complex, the labels in stores (except in the U.S.) clearly show an oil's grade:

Extra-virgin olive oil comes from the first pressing of the olives, contains no more than 0.8% acidity, and is judged to have a superior taste. There can be no refined oil in extra-virgin olive oil.

Virgin olive oil has an acidity less than 2%, and judged to have a good taste. There can be no refined oil in virgin olive oil.

Olive oil is a blend of virgin oil and refined virgin oil, containing at most 1% acidity. It commonly lacks a strong flavor.

Olive-pomace oil is a blend of refined pomace olive oil and possibly some virgin oil. It is fit for consumption, but it may not be called olive oil. Olive-pomace oil is rarely found in a grocery store; it is often used for certain kinds of cooking in restaurants.

Lampante oil is olive oil not used for consumption; lampante comes from olive oil's ancient use as fuel in oil-burning lamps. Lampante oil is mostly used in the industrial market.

generally, extra virgin is darker and more robustly flavored. that's not to say it's always "better", because for some uses you don't necessarily want a ton of flavor from the oil itself.

Edited by Azazello1313

here's a link to wikipedia

generally, extra virgin is darker and more robustly flavored. that's not to say it's always "better", because for some uses you don't necessarily want a ton of flavor from the oil itself.

:D that's really pretty cool info with the definition of the types of oil ...