[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bly traded to Broncos for T. Bell, Foster

The Wolf

Lions trade Bly to Broncos for Tatum Bell, FosterBy Michael Smith

ESPN.com

The Detroit Lions have agreed to send cornerback Dre' Bly to the Denver Broncos in exchange for running back Tatum Bell and tackle George Foster. Trades cannot become official until Friday, the first day of the league year.

Bly, a two-time Pro Bowl performer who earned a Super Bowl ring as a member of the 1999 St. Louis Rams, did not fit well in the Tampa 2 defensive scheme employed by second-year head coach Rod Marinelli and new defensive coordinator Joe Barry. Thus the Lions granted Bly and his agent, Kennard McGuire, permission to seek a trade two weeks ago.

The New Orleans Saints, New York Giants and Washington Redskins also were in the running for the 29-year-old Bly.

Neither Bly nor McGuire was available for comment.

In Denver, Bly will join Champ Bailey in forming one of the game's top cornerback tandems. The Broncos needed a replacement for Darrent Williams, who was killed in a drive-by shooting after a New Year's Eve party in Denver.

Bly is considered one of the game's best big-play cornerbacks. In eight seasons he has intercepted 31 passes, forced 17 fumbles, and scored eight touchdowns (five interception returns, two fumble returns, one punt return). Last season Bly tied for the team lead with three interceptions and led the Lions with 18 passes defended and four forced fumbles.

Bly has one year remaining on the $22 million free-agent contract he signed in 2003 and the Broncos are expected to begin working on a long-term agreement with McGuire.

Bell, 25, became a starter for the first time last season, his third, and led the Broncos with 1,025 rushing yards. In three seasons with the Broncos he has rushed for 2,342 yards and 13 touchdowns and owns a career yards-per-carry average of 4.9. The speedy Bell provides depth and insurance for the Lions in the event top back Kevin Jones' foot injury keeps him sidelined into next season.

Foster started 45 out of a possible 48 games the past three seasons at right tackle. The Lions were last in the league in rushing and allowed the second-most sacks (63) last season, so improving the offensive line is one of the team's top offseason priorities.

Good trade for both teams. Bly will be good for the Broncos but he was a cancer in the locker room. The Lions filled needs. Bell is a good back-up in case Jones cannot come back this year (or ever) and Foster will be important. Last year the Lions used anyone they could to fill that terrible line they had. Now they add Foster and possibly Thomas in the draft. IMHO this was a good move for Detroit.

So what's the Likelyhood Denver trades up to take Peterson?

I'm asking cause a friend thinks this trade makes that a forgone conclusion :D Yes, I've touched every angle, but he's stubborn and thinks this is precisely what they are planning to do.

2008 more people will be using Denver for John Madden 08. Sad part is you would almost have to be stone crazy or an idiot to throw the ball now. Champ and Bly oh my. I think they had the highest rated catching in the game both of them around 80.

So what's the Likelyhood Denver trades up to take Peterson?

I'm asking cause a friend thinks this trade makes that a forgone conclusion :D Yes, I've touched every angle, but he's stubborn and thinks this is precisely what they are planning to do.

there is no way, they'd have to give up essentially their entire draft to move up that far. maybe one tenth of 1 percent likelihood.

there is no way, they'd have to give up essentially their entire draft to move up that far. maybe one tenth of 1 percent likelihood.

That's what I keep saying, I don't have the time a work to do the numbers on the values for picks they have and what it would take, but it's not happeneing if you ask me.

It looks like a pretty even trade. I wish Denver would've gotten a pick with the deal, but it's okay. I actually think that Denver addresses the RB position via trade/free agency and are apparently going to go hard after T. Jones and Kerney. Therefore in the draft I think they either grab the best DT or Safety available.

Edited by NAUgrad

Interesting trade but Denver has never taken a RB with a first round pick ever under Shanahan. In fact the highest one they ever did take was Bell I believe (Portis was in the second round too I think).

That's what I keep saying, I don't have the time a work to do the numbers on the values for picks they have and what it would take, but it's not happeneing if you ask me.

ok, this saiys the 3rd pick is 2200 points (probably where they'd have to get to to draft peterson).

denver's first rounder is 800, their second rounder is 370, 3rd 165, 4th rounder 60...not even 1400 so far....not gonna get there, folks.

it would take denver's first rounder and at least one future first rounder, in addition to other picks. just isn't going to happen.

Edited by Azazello1313

ok, this saiys the 3rd pick is 2200 points (probably where they'd have to get to to draft peterson).

denver's first rounder is 800, their second rounder is 370, 3rd 165, 4th rounder 60...not even 1400 so far....not gonna get there, folks.

it would take denver's first rounder and at least one future first rounder, in addition to other picks. just isn't going to happen.

:D TY

Seems like a good move for both teams. Bly had been tired of losing in Detroit and wanted out. Bell will likely be "the man" in Detroit at least until KJ returns. Seems like a good move for both players.

Bly is a gambling cornerback who loses more than he wins. Just call him Toast.

And god forbid he has to make a tackle.

Agree with Furd. If he's not making a huge play then he's not helping your team. Trouble covering deep and a lot of trouble tackling, think Deion.