[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Plummer Reportedly Dealt to Bucs

The Wolf

Broncos near deal to send Plummmer to BucsBy Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

ESPN.com has learned that the Denver Broncos have reached agreement in principle on most of the elements of a trade that will send veteran quarterback Jake Plummer to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Under the terms being discussed, the Broncos would receive a middle-round draft choice, believed to be a fourth-rounder, in exchange for Plummer. The trade could be announced as early as Friday.

Tampa Bay re-signed Chris Simms to a two-year contract earlier this offseason. But with Simms coming off a 2006 season in which he underwent an emergency splenectomy, the Bucs have been shopping for a veteran quarterback to bolster the depth chart.

Veteran backup Tim Rattay became an unrestricted free agent on Friday and was not expected to return to Tampa Bay.

Plummer, 32, lost his starting job in Denver to rookie Jay Cutler late last season and the Broncos have been entertaining trade offers in the offseason. A 10-year veteran, Plummer has started 136 games in stints with Arizona (1997-2002) and Denver (2003-2006). He has completed 2,484 of 4,350 passes for 29,253 yards, with 161 touchdown passes and 161 interceptions, for a passer rating of 74.6.

If (and only if) they now trade Simms then draft Quinn or Russell does this all make sense to me.....

eh, i doubt they trade simms (and draft quinn), though that is definitely possible. i think the bucs want simms to be the starter, but want to go into camp with an open competition and need a legit veteran option to make that happen.

by sending plummer to the bucs, the broncos may have rid themselves of one competitor for jeff garcia's thervices :D

anyway, bye jake. it's been......well, it's been.

eh, i doubt they trade simms (and draft quinn), though that is definitely possible. i think the bucs want simms to be the starter, but want to go into camp with an open competition and need a legit veteran option to make that happen.

by sending plummer to the bucs, the broncos may have rid themselves of one competitor for jeff garcia's thervices :D

anyway, bye jake. it's been......well, it's been.

Yeah they arent going to be trading away Simms after they just resigned him. Plummer should do fine as long as he doesn't see the field. Gradkowski is clipboard material and Luke McCown is still in the mix as well.

As for how long is Gruden going to be molding Simms, I dont even think Simms has started 16 NFL games yet....

C-L-I-P-B-O-A-R-D

Gradkowski was much too raw to rely on last year and he didn't impress anyone that he would get through the learning curve and become a good quarterback. He didn't do much more than prove he was not up to the task. At least he can say he used to be a starting NFL quarterback once.

seriously? :D is that that slimy hippy bassturd trying to cost us a 4th round pick AND jeff garthia? :tup: what, you didn't already steal enough broncos $$$, jake? :doh::D

Yeah it just said the trade was void because of his retirement.

If Jake retires then I say good for him. I've always been impressed by Plummer and his game. I thought he's been a career overachiever given his talent, which I've always thought to be marginal. He was a good leader in Arizona, was always a competitor, and was a class act when he left Arizona.

I don't know the numbers, but didn't he have an impressive record as a starter in Denver? I know he bombed against Pittsburgh last year in the playoffs, but that shouldn't discredit everything else he's done there.

It's easy to see why Shanahan went ahead with Cutler due to his age and talent, but I don't see how people make Jake out to be a bum. He's had a good career and could still be a starter on multiple teams.

PLUMMER RETIRES

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer has retired in lieu of being traded to Tampa.

Word of the trade broke earlier this morning, but recent published reports suggested that Plummer might pack it in.

Plummer has played 10 NFL seasons. We have a weird feeling that, after a year or so on the sidelines, he might be lured back. The Cardinals, for example, will need a backup after Kurt Warner retires, and it would be fitting for Plummer to end his career there.

Edited by myhousekey