[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Plummer to retire

Popeye

just reported on NFL network that Plummer will retire instead of going to the Bucs.

NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that Jake Plummer has decided to retire in lieu of being traded to the Bucs.

Maybe Mike Shanahan should have treated him better. Denver now loses the fourth-round pick they would have picked up. Plummer never seemed like someone who "needed" football, but he's only 33 and could always re-consider in the future. Chris Simms can breathe a little easier. While the Bucs will find a veteran quarterback, he's unlikely to be as good as Plummer.

Edited by Popeye

Unless he's still under contract with Denver.

And he will be until after 2008.

Jake didn't want to get traded to a team where they wouldn't make him a starter outright... and Gruden was saying he'd compete with Simms.

SERIOUSLY?????

Jake, you don't have confidence that you can beat out a spleenless Chris Simms on a team that actively traded for you, yet you feel like you should be given a starting job?? :D

Goodbye, dumbass. I miss you already.

Than Simms? I'm no Plummer fan, but c'mon...

That's exactly what I'm saying. I'd rather go with Simms than Plummer. Plummer is ass. The only worse QB in the league is Aaron Brooks.

I would rather go into the season with Jim Sorgi as my starting QB. At least you have the slightest possibility he could be good. You know what you've got with Plummer. A dumbass who makes dumbass throws.

Edited by CaptainHook

You know what you've got with Plummer. A dumbass who makes dumbass throws.

:D

I'll never forget when he was on the football preview edition cover of ESPN's The Magazine several years back. We all should have foreseen the decline of ESPN coming right then. :D

That's exactly what I'm saying. I'd rather go with Simms than Plummer. Plummer is ass. The only worse QB in the league is Aaron Brooks.

You're getting perilously close to idiocy. Again, I'm no Plummer fan, but to say he can't start anymore in the NFL and that guys like Sorgi & Simms are better options at QB is utter knee-jerk ignorance.

Geez, you can make a case that Plummer is a mediocre QB without making a fool out of yourself.

You're getting perilously close to idiocy. Again, I'm no Plummer fan, but to say he can't start anymore in the NFL and that guys like Sorgi & Simms are better options at QB is utter knee-jerk ignorance.

Geez, you can make a case that Plummer is a mediocre QB without making a fool out of yourself.

Oh, I don't know about all that. I don't really have an opinion on Simms, I haven't seen him play much, but Plummer makes horrible decisions. He always has, always will. He's awful, period.

After 143 games in the NFL, he has a 74.6 QB rating, including a stellar 68.8 last season. As a veteran who had a moderate amount of talent around him. After 19 games, Simms has a 71.2 QB rating. Last season, he was atrocious, but in all fairness it was only a 3 game sample, and he showed some promise in 2005. Again, this isn't about Simms being good though. It's about Plummer being bad. And the notion that Simms might still get better than Plummer has ever been certainly isn't all that ludicrous. It really wouldn't take much for it to happen. :D

Edited by Skrappy1

Oh, I don't know about all that. I don't really have an opinion on Simms, I haven't seen him play much, but Plummer makes horrible decisions. He always has, always will. He's awful, period.

After 143 games in the NFL, he has a 74.6 QB rating, including a stellar 68.8 last season. As a veteran who had a moderate amount of talent around him. After 19 games, Simms has a 71.2 QB rating. Last season, he was atrocious, but in all fairness it was only a 3 game sample, and he showed some promise in 2005. Again, this isn't about Simms being good though. It's about Plummer being bad. And the notion that Simms might still get better than Plummer has ever been certainly isn't all that ludicrous. It really wouldn't take much for it to happen. :D

Over the past 4 years, Plummer is 10th in the NFL in passing yards, 11th in the NFL in passing TDs, & 11th in the NFL in yards per attempt for QBs with at least 200 pass attempts. That's despite DEN being 26th, 16th, 25th, and 27th in the league in pass attempts over those 4 years.

Please don't tell me that he can't play the position. I agree that he's frustrating to watch and that he makes some bad mistakes - he's 14th worst over that same time period in INTs - but the guy can beat out at least 1/3rd of the starting QBs in the NFL right now, and that's being conservative.

I said the same thing about Aaron Brooks last year. How'd that go for the Raiders?

Plummer is a known quantity at this point. A mediocre (at best) QB, that when surrounded by talent, can be good enough to wait until the end of the game to completely screw it up. He makes bad decisions, and costly interceptions, as a veteran QB. That's not going to change now.

With Simms, you have a young QB with potential. Potential > ass.

I think it's a no-brainer. :D

Edited by CaptainHook

Plummer was decent in his first three years in Denver. Denver's secondary getting picked apart by the Colts and Steelers in the playoffs was more of a problem than Plummer. That said, he was just flat-out awful this past season. Unless he was playing through an injury or something, I don't see why Gruden would want Jake. Gruden's offense is complex and Plummer's brain isn't exactly a good fit.

Plummer was decent in his first three years in Denver. Denver's secondary getting picked apart by the Colts and Steelers in the playoffs was more of a problem than Plummer. That said, he was just flat-out awful this past season. Unless he was playing through an injury or something, I don't see why Gruden would want Jake. Gruden's offense is complex and Plummer's brain isn't exactly a good fit.

I dont get it either. However, Gruden has a love affair with mobile QB's. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I dont get it either. However, Gruden has a love affair with mobile QB's. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Maybe. Then again, Randall Cunningham was a complete bust in his offensive system in Philly. You think that he would've learned from that. :D