[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions building picks...

BigTen

Saw this article today. The writer is a local guy and seems to stay up with what the Lions are doing.

"With a multitude of picks now (especially four fifth rounders) do the Lions have a blockbuster deal in the works?

The Lions are having their best off-season in years and I can tell you for a fact, that with picks stockpiled the Lions are considering all offers. I can also tell you two sources have confirmed that they have an interest in trading with the Lions and the Lions have talked to both clubs.

Three NFL teams have confirmed that the Lions are the main players and power brokers right now as teams that want to move up have to look at the Lions. With all of the picks they have “they are certainly the ones in the drivers seat. No one wants to trade because no one knows what Millen will do,” according to one AFC scout.

“I think the Lions with all of those picks and that high of a draft spot certainly control the draft. You can’t pinpoint what they will do and that makes it very difficult to judge who they pick, making it hard for you to settle in on a guy. I can truthfully say that the Lions have made everyone else’s job a lot harder because we have to plan for every scenario.” That quote was from a member of management at a NFC team.

“I think your seeing that having a Coach (Sarge) and a President (Millen) on the same page makes life fun. I can tell you the Lions may be the only ones enjoying this right now.” That was from a high powered agent I met at the Combine."

The Lions have the following picks.

2007 NFL Draft:

First RD #2

Second RD #34

Third RD #66

Fourth RD #97

Fifth RD #129

Fifth RD #135

Fifth RD #144

Fifth RD #148

Rumor has it that Dewayne White, DE from Tampa will be in Allen Park today, Kevin Curtis the WR from St. Louis will be in on Saturday and that TJ Duckett plans on meeting with the Lions.

Yeah, I know its the Lions but I am just passing things along. Go ahead and bash away. :D

Moreover, with the Giants rumored to be interested in Tatum Bell, the Lions could flip him for even more picks. Bell and Foster give the Lions flexibility to do darn near anything at this point. Right now I favor them standing pat until 1.1 is off the board. At that point, they could . . .

* take a QB (unlikely)

* take Joe Thomas (possible)

* take CJ2 (very possible)

* trade down anywhere from one to fifteen slots and take whichever of the top three DEs is left, grabbing an extra second/third/player/comination thereof in the process (highly likely)

As your basically unattributed quote says, the Lions pretty much hold the keys at this point. If there's one thing Millen as shown he knows how to do, it's keep 'em guessing and move picks around like a three-card-monte dealer . . .

Peace

policy

As your basically unattributed quote says, the Lions pretty much hold the keys at this point. If there's one thing Millen as shown he knows how to do, it's keep 'em guessing and move picks around like a three-card-monte dealer . . .

:D More like a deranged PCP addict who is completely unpredictable. It isn't calculated, it simply is.

"With a multitude of picks now (especially four fifth rounders) do the Lions have a blockbuster deal in the works?

:D 5th round picks ain't worth chit. 5 of them are worth like a 3rd rounder. what kind of "blockbuster" you gonna pull off with that? :D

edit: it is true though that the uncertainly about what they'll do at two has them in a good position. any team that wants to trade up for a guy basically has to deal with them.

Edited by Azazello1313

Well obviously it's not like the Leos are goign to spin four fifth-rounders into a first-rounder or anything, but I guarantee you that they will flip either Bell or Foster for more picks, and then I think it is highly likely they move down out of 1.2 for several more picks. I think the Lions are trying to amass as many second- and third-round picks as possible, which is smart because there is a lot of potential fast-impact talent at their two weakest positions--OL and LB--in those rounds. Having four fifth-round picks just add to the possibilites. Then with multiple seconds, multiple thirds, and four fifths, all kinds of moving up and down can occur. Or they can just stand pat and bring in like 10+ draftees to camp and let 'em all fight for spots.

Millen's made a lot of bad picks when he stands pat at the top of the first, no doubt, but he's engineered several very impressive trades. Most notably, of course, was when he moved down one slot, passed on The Solider, took Roy Williams, and packaged the second-rounder to move back up into the first to take KJ. Also, people forget that Millen actually traded DOWN in the second round to take Shaun Rogers a little lower and pick up more picks . . .

I'm not saying he's anything but a colossal failure on the field, but Millen's always been the best in the biz when it comes to winning March and April.

Peace

policy

policy

New endline? :D

ROFL, nice catch. No, my browser is having some rendering oddities right now, including making my vertical scroll bars disappear. Didn't see the dupe there.

Some of my longer diatribes back in the day ended with multiple "sign-off"s as I wrote and re-wrote and edited before posting, lol.

Peace

policy

Millen's always been the best in the biz when it comes to winning March and April.

:D right. you know that april is when the draft is, right? chuck rogers, joey harrington, mike williams....all became lions in april. i know YOU always come away impressed, but that doesn't mean millen's been winning many marches and aprils.

:D right. you know that april is when the draft is, right? chuck rogers, joey harrington, mike williams....all became lions in april. i know YOU always come away impressed, but that doesn't mean millen's been winning many marches and aprils.

Yeah, except that at the time he MADE those picks, every draftnik and beat writer and talking head was saying what a wonderful draft he had . . . ergo, winning in April.

Peace

policy

You gotta love Policy's unending optimism this time of the year. It's like clockwork. :D

Yeah, it's called being a fan. Or, would you prefer I join the ranks of the traitors, already typing up press releases for my futile "protests" this season? :D

Peace

policy

Yeah, it's called being a fan. Or, would you prefer I join the ranks of the traitors, already typing up press releases for my futile "protests" this season? :D

Peace

policy

Nah, but being a Viking fan i've come to realize it's good to temper enthusiasm with a little realism.

Nah, but being a Viking fan i've come to realize it's good to temper enthusiasm with a little realism.

Realism? What, about anything I've said, is unrealistic? The Lions look to be stockpiling picks, probably in anticipation of making moves. Millen has shown a fondness for making moves on draft day. The more ammo he has to move around, the more he probably will. With the 1.2 very much in play, and the huge amount of value it takes to move up to a pick that high, there may well be a true "blockbuster" in the works, which will give the Lions even more picks to play with. At THAT point (second, third, fourth rounds), having lots of fifths will be handy.

Peace

policy

Oh, I agree the #2 is very valuable. No question there. I think the Vikings at #7 are really in a tough spot, just outside the top value it seems. I still fail to see how 5th round draft picks provide much firepower, even multiple ones. We'll see though I guess. I wish the draft wasn't so far away still.

Millen will screw up again. I don't know of anyone that has thought the lions have had good drafts under Millen. The only good thing I can say about the Lions is at least they get their picks in on time.

Millen will screw up again. I don't know of anyone that has thought the lions have had good drafts under Millen. The only good thing I can say about the Lions is at least they get their picks in on time.

:D

Again, I'm not talking about looking back, now, at the drafts Millen's had and saying, "Oh yeah, great job dude!" I'm saying like the WEEK AFTER the 2002, 2003, etc. drafts, the Lions were at or near the top of almost every eckspurts' draft grades. Go back through the Internet and look. Kiper, TSN, all the draftnik websites, etc.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

:D 5th round picks ain't worth chit. 5 of them are worth like a 3rd rounder. what kind of "blockbuster" you gonna pull off with that? :D

edit: it is true though that the uncertainly about what they'll do at two has them in a good position. any team that wants to trade up for a guy basically has to deal with them.

Hey at least they have picks to deal with. I know that 5th rounders will not help land a #1 but with many picks they can start trading. They need as many bodies as they can get. You have to agree it is better to have the picks then not! I have a feeling that other players on the team will possibly be packaged with picks to get higher picks or better players. Hell they only got a 5th rounder for James Hall.

Edited by BigTen

:D

Again, I'm not talking about looking back, now, at the drafts Millen's had and saying, "Oh yeah, great job dude!" I'm saying like the WEEK AFTER the 2002, 2003, etc. drafts, the Lions were at or near the top of almost every eckspurts' draft grades. Go back through the Internet and look. Kiper, TSN, all the draftnik websites, etc.

Peace

policy

Word. Millen has made the popular early picks year after year. His draft grades have been great in the short term (minus Mike Williams). While they were great draft picks, they just haven't turned out to be great players.

Again, I'm not talking about looking back, now, at the drafts Millen's had and saying, "Oh yeah, great job dude!" I'm saying like the WEEK AFTER the 2002, 2003, etc. drafts, the Lions were at or near the top of almost every eckspurts' draft grades.

probably 'cause millen is drafting off of kiper's cheatsheet. which, really, just shows once again that the guy is a total amateur. people get all excited....ooh, boss bailey was going in the first round in all of the pre-draft mocks on espn, what a great pick early in the second. maybe he was there in the second round for a reason? maybe REAL NFL GMs know more than the "draftniks"?

this year, i really get the feeling they're setting themselves up for disaster because millen is such a chicken chit based on past failures. they're gonna trade down, you can just sense it. you can almost see the 2007 draft blueprint taking shape in millen's little peanut brain. as i posted in another thread, they're setting pretty at #2, and yet they're setting themselves up to pass on all the bona fide studs in the 2007 draft. millen is scared to draft calvin johnson because of chuck rogers and mike williams. they probably won't take joe thomas because they have backus and george foster :tup:. no need for adrian peterson, we have tatum bell :D. brady quinn? we love us some kitna :D. instead let's trade back 5-10 spots and take a DE, in a draft that's 3 rounds deep (at least) in quality DE prospects. we'll pass on all the top talent in order to get as many 3rd rounders as we can and just hope some of them pan out.

Edited by Azazello1313

Just two questions before we get ahead of ourselves here. Why trade Tatum Bell when they have absolutly no running game until at least week 6 w/the injury to Kevin Jones of all people? And why trade Foster when the Lions line is horrendous at best? At least Foster can play.

I don't quite get the racionale.

probably 'cause millen is drafting off of kiper's cheatsheet. which, really, just shows once again that the guy is a total amateur. people get all excited....ooh, boss bailey was going in the first round in all of the pre-draft mocks on espn, what a great pick early in the second. maybe he was there in the second round for a reason? maybe REAL NFL GMs know more than the "draftniks"?

this year, i really get the feeling they're setting themselves up for disaster because millen is such a chicken chit based on past failures. they're gonna trade down, you can just sense it. you can almost see the 2007 draft blueprint taking shape in millen's little peanut brain. as i posted in another thread, they're setting pretty at #2, and yet they're setting themselves up to pass on all the bona fide studs in the 2007 draft. millen is scared to draft calvin johnson because of chuck rogers and mike williams. they probably won't take joe thomas because they have backus and george foster :tup:. no need for adrian peterson, we have tatum bell :D. brady quinn? we love us some kitna :D. instead let's trade back 5-10 spots and take a DE, in a draft that's 3 rounds deep (at least) in quality DE prospects. we'll pass on all the top talent in order to get as many 3rd rounders as we can and just hope some of them pan out.

I hope they do trade back 5 spots to #7. That would mean the Vikings could land Calvin Johnson.