[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cap Questions

Perchoutofwater

Can an NFL team pay all the signing bonus up front so that it only counts against them in the 1st year, or does it have to be prorated over the length of the contract? I'm just wondering, as a number of teams have a lot of cap space and are signing some pretty big contracts.

Can an NFL team pay all the signing bonus up front so that it only counts against them in the 1st year, or does it have to be prorated over the length of the contract? I'm just wondering, as a number of teams have a lot of cap space and are signing some pretty big contracts.

I think how it goes is signing bonuses are spread throughout the life of the contract whereas roster bonuses are paid up front and count against the cap up front. I could be wrong though.

By contract with the NFLPA & the CBA, signing bonuses are designated as being divided evenly throughout the life of the contract.

You could pay one bonus up front by giving a roster bonus though, as a 1-time payout.

I believe you could also 'guarantee' that year, or just make year one a huge number since it's unlikely you'd cut the player before he plays.