[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I like Wes Welker

Caveman_Nick

but... :D

If that's true (click on the graemlin), then I am befuddled. That's a ton of money for a Wayne Chrebet/Troy Brown type of receiver.

I don't know how reliable that source is...but I am glad to hear they are trying to get somethign done with this guy. I just hope it's at a reasonable number.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but... :D

If that's true (click on the graemlin), then I am befuddled. That's a ton of money for a Wayne Chrebet/Troy Brown type of receiver.

I don't know how reliable that source is...but I am glad to hear they are trying to get somethign done with this guy. I just hope it's at a reasonable number.

I don't like him THAT much. This is a stupid move by the Pats. If the Phins don't match, and how could they?then we gave our 2nd round pick for an, at best, 3rd WR for 7 years & $35 mil!!??!! I hate this move. hate it a lot. i'd rather have Stallworth or Engram, or draft another rookie this year.

you guys have to realize...the pats are using the poison pill with welker...kinda like how the vikes were able to get hutch away from seattle...welker will never see anything close to that kind of money..its designed to make it almost impossible for the dolphins to match

So, you think that they're going to backload it to the extent that the effective amount that he gets paid will be much less? These guys seem to think so as well...

Link

I'm all for getting rid of this loophole.

So, you think that they're going to backload it to the extent that the effective amount that he gets paid will be much less? These guys seem to think so as well...

Link

I'm all for getting rid of this loophole.

yeah man..its backloaded and probably has a few crazy incentive clauses,that will never in anyones wildest dreams, ever be reached...most of that is just paper

yeah man..its backloaded and probably has a few crazy incentive clauses,that will never in anyones wildest dreams, ever be reached...most of that is just paper

Interesting, but I'm not sure how the Pats could (1) structure a contract to the extent that the Dolphins could not realistically match it or (2) implement a "poison pill" clause on a mediocre player like Welker. It's not like Welker can be (realistically) guaranteed to be one of the highest-paid WRs in the league. And I don't think that Belichick is allowed to include a "the contract is fully-guaranteed if Welker plays eight games in Miami in 2007" clause or something similarly ridiculous.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I don't like him THAT much. This is a stupid move by the Pats. If the Phins don't match, and how could they?then we gave our 2nd round pick for an, at best, 3rd WR for 7 years & $35 mil!!??!! I hate this move. hate it a lot. i'd rather have Stallworth or Engram, or draft another rookie this year.

He was the Dolphins top receiver last year . Any time you can take a division rivals best receiver away from them that's a major coup. The Pats were brilliant in making this move.

He was the Dolphins top receiver last year . Any time you can take a division rivals best receiver away from them that's a major coup. The Pats were brilliant in making this move.

This is funnny....Are you really saying Wes Welker is better than Chris Chambers?

Wes Welker is a terrific little player who plays with a lot of heart. Great on punt returns - not so much on kickoff returns. He's an great slot WR and has excellent hands. He'll flourish with Brady and in that system.

With that said . . .

NO way is he worth 7 years and 38 million and a 2nd rd draft pick.

It's official. Cameron & Mueller are gutting this team and starting over. IMO this is 2-3 years overdue.

They somehow got a 6th rd pick for Wilkerson.

Hopefully they'll receve a 2nd pick for Welker.

Sammie Morris was let go and is now a Pat.

McIntosh was let go and is now a Chief.

They signed former Packer TE David Martin and Randy McMichale is on the trading block hopefully for a 3rd or 4th rd pick. McMichael is due a 3 million dollar roster bonus a week from today and IMO there is NO WAY he's a Dolphin next year.

FULL rebuild mode.

This is funnny....Are you really saying Wes Welker is better than Chris Chambers?

I never said anything about Chambers. Are you trying to tell me that Chambers had more receptions and yards then Welker? What about punt return yards and kickoff return yards? Reread my post. I said he was the Dolphins top reciever.

Edited by Disfunction Junction

Brilliant?

That's a ton of money and a 2nd rd pick for a slot WR. The Pats made a better move by signing RB Sammie Morris who will compliment Maroney perfectly

The Dolphins are tearing it down and starting over. I wish we didn't lose our players to a division rival but anytime somone offers you a 2nd rd pick for Wes Welker you take it and run. They are in full rebuild mode. You will not have to worry about the Dolphins for 2-3 years.

I never said anything about Chambers. Are you trying to tell me that Chambers had more receptions and yards then Welker? What about punt return yards and kickoff return yards? Reread my post. I said he was the Dolphins top reciever.

Well that's the problem right there.....Welker should not be your top receiver. I think the Dolphins make out great on this deal. But being a Bills fan, I really hope there draft sucks and Wes is not worth it to the Patriots... :D

Brilliant?

That's a ton of money and a 2nd rd pick for a slot WR. The Pats made a better move by signing RB Sammie Morris who will compliment Maroney perfectly

The Dolphins are tearing it down and starting over. I wish we didn't lose our players to a division rival but anytime somone offers you a 2nd rd pick for Wes Welker you take it and run. They are in full rebuild mode. You will not have to worry about the Dolphins for 2-3 years.

Him and Jackson will be a feared tandem for years to come. He is proven in game situations, versatile and clutch. He is smart and will grasp the Pats system quickly. Remember the Patriots have A TON of cap room they can afford to over pay and they are not in rebuild mode and wantt another Superbowl now.

Him and Jackson will be a feared tandem for years to come. He is proven in game situations, versatile and clutch. He is smart and will grasp the Pats system quickly. Remember the Patriots have A TON of cap room they can afford to over pay and they are not in rebuild mode and wantt another Superbowl now.

Are you his agent?

I hear you loud and clear. They are in win now mode and Welker will be a good addition.

But "brilliant" in NOT paying a 5'9" slot WR/Punt Returner 38 million over 7 years and giving up a 2nd rd draft pick in the process.

Well that's the problem right there.....Welker should not be your top receiver. I think the Dolphins make out great on this deal. But being a Bills fan, I really hope there draft sucks and Wes is not worth it to the Patriots... :D

:tup:

Are you telling me that he can not be improved upon with Brady? Sure in our eyes a 2nd round pick is alot but Welker is a young playmaker. He is 25 years old and is already a proven difference maker. He gets the team involved in the game. He does some great things. Makes the tough catch gives great field position and makes it impossible for opposing defenses to run 8 in the box as long as he is in the slot.

Most teams don't expect to get a guy in the 2nd round that has already adapted to the pro game. The Pats are taking advantage of the tender and with them having a late pick it really doesn't hurt them as much. They can still trade back with just one of their 1st round picks and get more value out of it than the orignal 2nd rounder.

Smart move by the Pats. :D

:D

Are you telling me that he can not be improved upon with Brady? Sure in our eyes a 2nd round pick is alot but Welker is a young playmaker. He is 25 years old and is already a proven difference maker. He gets the team involved in the game. He does some great things. Makes the tough catch gives great field position and makes it impossible for opposing defenses to run 8 in the box as long as he is in the slot.

Most teams don't expect to get a guy in the 2nd round that has already adapted to the pro game. The Pats are taking advantage of the tender and with them having a late pick it really doesn't hurt them as much. They can still trade back with just one of their 1st round picks and get more value out of it than the orignal 2nd rounder.

I agree with you on this, I still do not understand why other teams do not do this also. Like the Bills...Why would they not trade there first round pick for Briggs from the bears.

Edited by hause62

:D

welker could be unstoppable on those 3-5 yard curl routes we love to throw

welker is worth the pick...and forget the money...its just paper..its not real

welker could be unstoppable on those 3-5 yard curl routes we love to throw

welker is worth the pick...and forget the money...its just paper..its not real

See...this is how the trolls get in these threads. The words "Welker" and "unstoppable" really don't beling together... :D