[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoughts on Mike Vanderjagt

Rockerbraves

Vanderjagt was scheduled to interview with the Saints on Tuesday. Do you think Parcells is to blame for the most accurate place-kicker in NFL history (230 of 266 field goals, 86.5 percent) recent bad performance?

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/...0860.xml&coll=1

:D ah no...he was imploding at the end of his career with the Colts. There was something going on with him...somekind of personal thing I think.....I'm sure Bills nagging didn't help but Bill was not the cause. IMO

:D He was not "imploding" w/the Colts. He made 2 bad misses in crucial playoff games, and tho not saying that's exactly nothing, otherwise he's been money...even last year he was fine except for missing a three 40+ FGs. Again not dismissing that and maybe he is losing it, but Parcells reacted too quickly IMO.

Vanderjagt will be 37 in a couple of weeks. I'd say that his current problems are mostly due to nagging injuries that typically happen at his age. That said, he's had a long history of missing FGs in critical situations. Age + injuries + mental issues + big mouth that annoys teammates = an unemployed kicker.

Stick a fork in him. He's done.

Vanderjagt will be 37 in a couple of weeks. I'd say that his current problems are mostly due to nagging injuries that typically happen at his age. That said, he's had a long history of missing FGs in critical situations. Age + injuries + mental issues + big mouth that annoys teammates = an unemployed kicker.

Stick a fork in him. He's done.

If you want to use age against Vanderjagt isn't Carney turning 43 in a couple of weeks? Granted Vanderjagt may have missed a few, but he's also made more than his fair share of FG's too. If indeed the Saints take a chance on him my only hope is that the fear of being out of the NFL all together may help keep him abit more humble.

To be honest, if he does get back on a team I probably would draft him before Carney in FF.

If you want to use age against Vanderjagt isn't Carney turning 43 in a couple of weeks? Granted Vanderjagt may have missed a few, but he's also made more than his fair share of FG's too. If indeed the Saints take a chance on him my only hope is that the fear of being out of the NFL all together may help keep him abit more humble.

To be honest, if he does get back on a team I probably would draft him before Carney in FF.

Vanderjagt has had health problems over the past couple of years and has been a choke-artist in game-winning situations throughout his career. While 37 isn't necessarily geriatric for a kicker, it is for some. I won't draft him in my FF league.

When I think of vandrjaagt ,I think clutch , ice water in veins and for some reason kangaroo boxing

Maybe Vanderjagt is the Phil Mickelson of the NFL. Maybe not the best clutch kicker, but gotta like his stat of being the most accurate place-kicker in NFL history (230 of 266 field goals, 86.5 percent).

Edited by Rockerbraves

Vandy was actually very clutch. He kicked several game-winners for the Colts.

His reputation though, was the same as the Colts, that he didnt' perform in the play-offs. I can only recall one kick in the regular season that Mike missed at the end that would have tied/won it, and that was the season opener against the Pats a few years ago. In the comback against Tampa Bay on MNF, he did miss in OT, only to be bailed out in by the "leaping" penalty. The ensuing FG attempt from very close range, he banked in off the goal post. Other that those two times, he was very clutch, IMO.

Play-offs were a different matter. He missed a FG that would have won a game against the Dolphins. He missed a FG on the Colts opening drive in the 41-0 debacle against the Jets. And he missed the FG against Pittsburgh by a MILE. I think that last one has really messed with him. Not only did he miss it, but he missed it badly, and then he wasn't re-signed.

He has had some nagging injuries the last few years, as kickers go, he's huge (6'6"), perhaps he is wearing down. He's never been very good at kick-offs, and teams usually have to carry a second kicker to make up for that.

Edited by CaptainHook