[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does Ted Thompson know free agency started already?

Randall

Ted Thompson doesn't believe in building in a team via free agency, or at least spending crazy money in free agency. He believes in building a team through the draft.

Who would you have liked to see him sign? I would have liked Adalius Thomas but that asking price was steep.

Who would you have liked to see him sign?

That's the response I've come back with to any of the complainers that I've heard around here too. I usually get a blank look as a response. This has to be the poorest FA crop in years. I see no reason a team should go out and make Daniel Graham the highest paid TE in the NFL or pay Drew Bennett 5+ mill a year.

I think there are some decent players out there still, but the smart teams will sit back and let the dust settle a little and let their prices become a little more reasonable.

That's the response I've come back with to any of the complainers that I've heard around here too. I usually get a blank look as a response. This has to be the poorest FA crop in years. I see no reason a team should go out and make Daniel Graham the highest paid TE in the NFL or pay Drew Bennett 5+ mill a year.

I think there are some decent players out there still, but the smart teams will sit back and let the dust settle a little and let their prices become a little more reasonable.

Right-o.

Thompson does NOT believe in overpaying players, even if they have the money. Jason Wilde was on the radio today and said he was talking to Raleigh McKenzie, and Thompson's philosophy is not to keep up with the people spending stupid just because.

I think it's a wise strategy.

We don't have nearly as many needs as last year...

A saftey

Tight End

Running back

and to build depth on the D line...

All of this can be filled in the draft.

I heard that Griffith was in town... He's the only guy that I'd be ok replacing William Henderson with.

Seeing Henderson get cut really bummed me out. :D

We don't have nearly as many needs as last year...

A saftey

Tight End

Running back

and to build depth on the D line...

Safety - I think the problem is less with the safeties than with the defensive coaching staff not recognizing the flaws in the safeties' games and hiding them. It's pretty obvious that Manuel lacks the ability and Collins lacks the instincts to cover anyone one-on-one, so don't put them in that position; I think with a bit better scheming the S position can be adequate

Tight End - this is a need; but even so, if you have to go with TE that is one-dimensional (either way - a glorified WR or a 3rd tackle), so be it. You can easily make do with a stopgap until the opportunity to fill the hole arises

RB - I think Herron, Morency, and a 3rd warm body ( :D - 1st day pick or vet off the scrap heap) could be effective, if not dominant.

DL depth - I'd say Green Bay's frontline starters are solid in most spots; but they need depth EVERYWHERE, really.

Im not so sure Marshawn Lynch is going to be there... The more that I look at it, the more I think he's headed to Buffalo. Honestly, I'd rather trade down, pick up an extra pick and get Michael Bush to pair with Vernand Morencey... Think that would be a nice combo. Then again, I think Bush is going to be an absolute beast.

I don't think he should overpay but building only through the draft these days is just about impossible. Teams lose too many players.

Last year he didn't do much until the end when he overpaid Woodson. It seems he is doing the same and should do something. I hope he does.

Thompson believes in obtaining players through the draft rather than overpaying in FA.

That said, it looks like they are in the market for a vet LB - rumors of Donnie Edwards popping up, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them extend a contract to whatever RB is left after the merry-go-round stops spinning, which means it's a pretty safe bet that they are going RB in round 1 unless there are surprises above their pick that would have Lynch going before then.

Edited by Bronco Billy

That said, it looks like they are in the market for a vet LB - rumors of Donnie Edwards popping up, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them extend a contract to whatever RB is left after the merry-go-round stops spinning, which means it's a pretty safe bet that they are going RB in round 1 unless there are surprises above their pick that would have Lynch going before then.

the LB vet surprises me unless I completely overvalue Abdul Hodge. I would like them to start Hodge on the strong side and take him out in passing situations

I would not be comfortable at all with Herron, Morency, and another back going into the season. had Ahman Green come back I would have been comfortable with him and Morency. I just hope Lynch falls to them in the draft.

What do you Packer fans think about trying to get McGahee from the Bills?

I was also hoping they might make a play for Eric Johnson.

the LB vet surprises me unless I completely overvalue Abdul Hodge. I would like them to start Hodge on the strong side and take him out in passing situations

Ech. I don't think Hodge at OLB would accomplish much at all. Hodge's natural position is MLB, and I would expect that he could be a very good one once he learns the speed of the pro game. His coverage skills are certainly lacking at OLB.

GB needs to inform Barnett that he's moving to OLB to accomodate Hodge, whether that hurts his individual stats or not. That would make GB's LB corps pretty formidable.

I would not be comfortable at all with Herron, Morency, and another back going into the season. had Ahman Green come back I would have been comfortable with him and Morency. I just hope Lynch falls to them in the draft.

What do you Packer fans think about trying to get McGahee from the Bills?

I was also hoping they might make a play for Eric Johnson.

We'd be doomed if we entered the season with Herron and Morency. I actually think if we stay with the status quo, Ariliss Beach would be our best RB on the roster. I'm not sold on Herron/Morency.

I also was hoping they'd go after Eric Johnson. TE does not seem like a position that can be addressed through the draft, as it typically takes a couple seasons to develop. GB needs to be motivated to win now.

I'd love to see GB make a run at McGahee, but I don't think it'll happen. If Reuben Droughns gets release, and I think he will, he'd be a decent option with his experience in the zone blocking system.

GB needs to inform Barnett that he's moving to OLB to accomodate Hodge, whether that hurts his individual stats or not. That would make GB's LB corps pretty formidable.

I completely agree with this and would love to see Barnett swallow his stats/pride and do what is best for the defense. I know this was talked about at length in a previous thread.

I completely agree with this and would love to see Barnett swallow his stats/pride and do what is best for the defense. I know this was talked about at length in a previous thread.

I bet his swallowing his stats/pride to accomodate Hodge would go down much smoother with a contract extension. Just sayin'... :D

Last year he didn't do much until the end when he overpaid Woodson. It seems he is doing the same and should do something. I hope he does.

Randall, whats your issue with Woodson? He played a lot better than what even myself, a Michigan homer was expecting. I loved the deal then, and I love it now.

I bet his swallowing his stats/pride to accomodate Hodge would go down much smoother with a contract extension. Just sayin'... :D

You're right. He was concerned that playing Sam would hurt his value at contract time. If they extended him and then moved him there that one issue would be moot.

Of course at that time he could have other complaints too.

Randall, whats your issue with Woodson? He played a lot better than what even myself, a Michigan homer was expecting. I loved the deal then, and I love it now.

Too much money. I thought he was good but TT overpaid. What was it $40 million? I liked him but thought with his injury history TT could have gotten him for less.

I think he waited too long and when he really jumped in there weren't many players left and he overpaid. That isn't Woodson's fault and I wanted TT to learn and not wait so long this year.

He could concentrate on the draft and bring in a free agency expert.

Too much money. I thought he was good but TT overpaid. What was it $40 million? I liked him but thought with his injury history TT could have gotten him for less.

I think he waited too long and when he really jumped in there weren't many players left and he overpaid. That isn't Woodson's fault and I wanted TT to learn and not wait so long this year.

He could concentrate on the draft and bring in a free agency expert.

I thought the overpayment on Woodson was pretty significant at the time; he certainly did a pretty good job of trying to live up to the contract.

But looking at what's out there - it looks like less of an overpayment given the money being thrown around this year, and if next year is worse in the regard of overpaying average players (which it probably will be) AND Woodson's performance remains consistent, the contract will be at better-than-market value.

Even so, if the contract WAS a bit bloated, it came at a time when that money wasn't really needed elsewhere and it is favorable to Green Bay after year 3 as far as cutting Woodson with a minimum of cap ramifications.

I thought the overpayment on Woodson was pretty significant at the time; he certainly did a pretty good job of trying to live up to the contract.

But looking at what's out there - it looks like less of an overpayment given the money being thrown around this year, and if next year is worse in the regard of overpaying average players (which it probably will be) AND Woodson's performance remains consistent, the contract will be at better-than-market value.

Even so, if the contract WAS a bit bloated, it came at a time when that money wasn't really needed elsewhere and it is favorable to Green Bay after year 3 as far as cutting Woodson with a minimum of cap ramifications.

You may be right. Hutch's contract set the ceiling for Guards and has been been increased this year. I do agree that Woodson tried living up the the contract. That is a good sign.