[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints sign TE Eric Johnson

myhousekey

SAINTS SECURE JOHNSON

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reports that the Saints have signed free-agent tight end Eric Johnson to a one-year deal.

Johnson, a pass-catching tight end who was rendered irrelevant in San Fran by the arrival of Vernon Davis, could infuse some real production into the position for the Saints.

He caught 82 passes in 2004, but missed all of 2005 due to injury. He played in 13 games last season, catching 34 passes.

By signing a one-year deal, Johnson has a chance to put up some good numbers and hit the market again in 2008.

The guys great when healthy. Of course he's rarely played a full season (2 of the last 6 years).....he'll fit right in with the Saints TE's that never stay healthy.

Edited by myhousekey

GB the Saints being smart with their money again this offseason.

Saints have a Philly way about them with their cash. Not sure its a great idea, as I think this team over achieved big time last yr. 8-8 and no playoffs wouldnt surprise me a bit.

BTW, this is a nice signing. But sooner or later they need to address CB, S, LB and DT

edit, and more than just Brian Simmons at LB. That cat is ending his career.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Anyone know how much/how long he signed for? If he stays healthy he could be a short term steal.

1 yr, 2 mil I believe

Saints have a Philly way about them with their cash. Not sure its a great idea, as I think this team over achieved big time last yr. 8-8 and no playoffs wouldnt surprise me a bit.

BTW, this is a nice signing. But sooner or later they need to address CB, S, LB and DT

edit, and more than just Brian Simmons at LB. That cat is ending his career.

Completely agree other than the over-acieving, 8-8 parts. I believe in the next couple of days you'll see some help at S brought in & possibly next week a CB. Hood has been the name most thrown around lately. Not great, but definately an upgrade. I still think our draft will be defensive heavy. But I'm wavering a little on that first pick being a CB. If Dexter Jackson doesn't get brought in I could definately see them taking Bowe with the 1st.

But sooner or later they need to address CB, S, LB and DT

Don't forget also that we lost SS Roman Harper - an extremely promising 2nd round pick that started from day one - early last year. Hopefully he will be back next year.

There are obviously two other things to consider: You can't be loaded at every position and also - if our offense puts up #'s like last year, it can really help your defense out.