[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor: Packers interested in Ladell Betts

PaulOttCarruth

Link

03/07/2007: Packers may place 'Betts' on running back

Category: General Posted by: Gery

BY GERY WOELFEL

By now everybody in the universe has heard how the Packers may have some interest in Randy Moss, who currently ranks as the second-biggest headcase in the NFL behind Terrell Owens.

And you've heard how the Packers are contemplating signing a free-agent running back now that veteran Ahman Green has bolted to the Texans. You've also heard they may have interest in any of a boatload of RBS, all of whom have some warts i.e. Dominic Rhodes, Jamal Lewis, Corey Dillon, Chris Brown, etc. And, finally, you've heard the Packers are just going to wait until the NFL draft and pick Marshawn Lynch of Cal who by the way, also has off-field issues on his resume.

What you haven't probably heard, though, is the Packers may trade for a backup running back, albeit a pretty decent one. There are whispers the Packers have some interest in Ladell Betts of the Washington Redskins. Betts, 27, had a pretty non-descript pro career until last season when he stared the last seven games for Clinton Portis, who had a fractured hand.

Betts seized the opportunity and finished the season with 1,154 yards and a highly-respectable 4.7 yards per carry average. What's more, he proved to be a deft receiver, grabbing 53 passes for 445 yards.

Betts' ability to run and catch the ball makes him an appealing commodity for the Packers. He'd certainly be better than any of the other mentioned ones.

I cannot attest to the reliability of the source, but interesting nonetheless.

Al Saunders loves Betts... I guess the whole skins franchise does if there were rumors about Portis being on the trade block before the pay cut... I don't think we're ready to pony up in order to get him. Very good player, I just don't see it happening.

I would really like to see the packers open up trade talks with the Chargers over Turner... Come draft day, they'll come off of there 1st and 3rd rounders in exchange for him. I really like the potential, the size, and speed this guy has.

Al Saunders loves Betts... I guess the whole skins franchise does if there were rumors about Portis being on the trade block before the pay cut... I don't think we're ready to pony up in order to get him. Very good player, I just don't see it happening.

I would really like to see the packers open up trade talks with the Chargers over Turner... Come draft day, they'll come off of there 1st and 3rd rounders in exchange for him. I really like the potential, the size, and speed this guy has.

I agree. He would be a great fit for that team, given how the Oline improved during the course of last season. Also, with Favre under center, the Packers have a "win now" mentality and Turner has experience...something Marshawn Lynch (IF he is even available at #16) does not bring to the table.

I agree. He would be a great fit for that team, given how the Oline improved during the course of last season. Also, with Favre under center, the Packers have a "win now" mentality and Turner has experience...something Marshawn Lynch (IF he is even available at #16) does not bring to the table.

I'm not so sure about that. I think that rookie RB's can make an immediate impact much easier than most other skill positions. Not that I want the Packers to make the right decisions here or anything, but I think they should go after someone like Betts, and then still take Lynch if he's available.

I'm not so sure about that. I think that rookie RB's can make an immediate impact much easier than most other skill positions. Not that I want the Packers to make the right decisions here or anything, but I think they should go after someone like Betts, and then still take Lynch if he's available.

100% agree with you. I guess that my bias as a Michael Turner owner is showing...