[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Sirius report

peepinmofo

Except that Ruben Droughns isn't going to cut into Jacobs carries.

Oh yes he will. They will use both backs. They're both power guys and they will use both to wear down defenses. I see Jacobs getting 16-20 carries a game (until he gets hurt) and Droughns getting 10-12.

Oh yes he will. They will use both backs. They're both power guys and they will use both to wear down defenses. I see Jacobs getting 16-20 carries a game (until he gets hurt) and Droughns getting 10-12.

I agree. And that could be a REALLY heavy load for defenses. Not a bad move for the Giants. Tim Carter fly's but he's as brittle as a ice.

I'll admit that I disagree with you, but then i'm jaded because I'm a Jacobs' owner & I see some amazing ability & agility out of him for a guy so damn big.

Could you care to share some of your logic that leads you to your conclusions?

Here's what I posted a while back:

Jacobs will get plenty of work. The Giants have playoff aspirations and they are looking for depth at RB right now. Tiki is a completely different animal than Tiki (obviously), but I think that works in the Giants' favor. It becomes a pick-your-poison type of decision for D coordinators. Do you play light to stop the passing game, especially with a TE like Shockey on the field, and allow a huge load like Jacobs to play pinball with your lighter D players, or do you play strength & mass to stop Jacobs & take your chances with the passing O? Not too many Ds are capable of doing both simultaneously.

In any case, Jacobs is certainly capable of being the featured RB. He averaged 4.4 ypc last year - and a relatively large percentage of his carries were in short yardage/goalline situations. That's pretty solid numbers. When he carried the ball outside the red zone, he averaged 5.22 ypc and when he carried the ball on 1st or 2nd down he averaged 4.69 ypc. Then you add that in 27 carries in the red zone he converted 11 1st downs and 9 TDs, and his conversion rate in the red zone is 74%. That means in evry 4 carries down there, he either scored or kept a drive going on 3 of those carries. That's an outrageous conversion percentage.

Then you add a run/catch ratio of 8.73 and his ypr average of 13.5 and you have a very good lead RB on your hands.

Based upon the numbers above, here's what I'm projecting for Jacobs in 2007:

282 carries for 1376 yds rushing

14 rushing TDs

32 catches for 368 yds

2 receiving TDs

-----------------------------

314 total touches for 1764 total yds & 16 TDs.

That workload is easily obtainable for him - that's 17+ carries per game & 2 catches per game.

Those numbers would make Jacobs a top 5 FF RB and wouls still leave 140+ rushes & 37+ receptions for another RB on the roster.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I'll admit that I disagree with you, but then i'm jaded because I'm a Jacobs' owner & I see some amazing ability & agility out of him for a guy so damn big.

Could you care to share some of your logic that leads you to your conclusions?

Here's what I posted a while back:

First of all I think that the GM's and coaches are seeing the benefit in using two RB's. Look at the Final 4 from last year .... Colts, Bears, Patriots and Saints. All of them utilized 2 running backs all year. I think that this is a trend that is here to stay. Keeps guys fresh, minimizes injuries to the "top" guy and gives the defense a different look.

Secondly, I think that Droughns is too valuable just to sit on the bench and spell Jacobs when he needs a break. I, like you, think that Jacobs is a beast and he has the potential to put up huge numbers. I just think that Droughns is going to take some of his value from a fantasy perspective.

I also feel that with Jacobs running style he is susceptible to injury. What Jacobs owners need to figure out is, is Droughns there just for insurance purposes if Jacobs goes down or is he there to contribute and keep Jacobs from wearing down by week 12. I think it's the latter. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by theprofessor

First of all I think that the GM's and coaches are seeing the benefit in using two RB's. Look at the Final 4 from last year .... Colts, Bears, Patriots and Saints. All of them utilized 2 running backs all year. I think that this is a trend that is here to stay. Keeps guys fresh, minimizes injuries to the "top" guy and gives the defense a different look.

Secondly, I think that Droughns is too valuable just to sit on the bench and spell Jacobs when he needs a break. I, like you, think that Jacobs is a beast and he has the potential to put up huge numbers. I just think that Droughns is going to take some of his value from a fantasy perspective.

I also feel that with Jacobs running style he is susceptible to injury. Just my 2 cents.

Okay. Would the 282/140 rush ratio for Jacobs/Droughns that I posted earlier in the year fit your scenario of sharing work?

Okay. Would the 282/140 rush ratio for Jacobs/Droughns that I posted earlier in the year fit your scenario of sharing work?

I think you're very close. I could see Droughns possibly getting 155-160 carries. He also has a nose for the end zone :D But Jacobs should get 90% of the carries in the red zone. Don't get me wrong I love Jacobs. I just see him breaking down if he's getting 70-80% of the carries.

What do Dominic Rhodes, Thomas Jones, and Corey Dillon have in common?

I think you're very close. I could see Droughns possibly getting 155-160 carries. He also has a nose for the end zone :D But Jacobs should get 90% of the carries in the red zone. Don't get me wrong I love Jacobs. I just see him breaking down if he's getting 70-80% of the carries.

The last statement made me kind of curious as to how many RBs actually get to that 70% mark of total team carries. In 2006:

Steven Jackson 81.6%

Larry Johnson 81.1%

Edgerrin James 80.4%

Rudi Johnson 78.4%

Willie Parker 71.9%

Tiki Barber 71.9%

Frank Gore 71.2%

So, I would doubt that Jacobs would come anywhere close to that (despite Barber being on this list), which is why they brought in Droughns.

I think there will be a 60-40 split with Jacobs getting the bulk of 60%. If he shows he can endure more while staying healthy I think he can get to 70% but, how long that takes to come about or if he can actually take that many carries before breaking down is another story.

I think there will be a 60-40 split with Jacobs getting the bulk of 60%. If he shows he can endure more while staying healthy I think he can get to 70% but, how long that takes to come about or if he can actually take that many carries before breaking down is another story.

He doesn't need to have 70% of the carries to be an effective fantasy option.

The last statement made me kind of curious as to how many RBs actually get to that 70% mark of total team carries. In 2006:

Steven Jackson 81.6%

Larry Johnson 81.1%

Edgerrin James 80.4%

Rudi Johnson 78.4%

Willie Parker 71.9%

Tiki Barber 71.9%

Frank Gore 71.2%

So, I would doubt that Jacobs would come anywhere close to that (despite Barber being on this list), which is why they brought in Droughns.

5 of those 7 are no surprise.

Little surprised Barber got that much of the load with Jacobs there.

Very surprised Parker is on the list.

LINK

Updated: March 12, 2007, 7:13 PM ET

Giants tell Droughns he'll split time with Jacobs

Associated Press

NEWARK, N.J. -- The New York Giants plan to replace the retired Tiki Barber with two running backs.

At least that's what they have told newcomer Reuben Droughns, who was acquired last week in a trade with Cleveland for receiver Tim Carter.

"They said it's definitely going to be a 1-2 punch," Droughns said in a conference call on Monday, shortly after he passed a physical and officially joined the Giants, where he will pair up with Brandon Jacobs.

"Brandon and me will be kind of a pound-it-out running style, so we'll try to wear down the defenses and work together," Droughns said.

The two Super Bowl teams both alternated halfbacks last season. Indianapolis used Dominic Rhodes and Joseph Addai, while Chicago used Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson.

With Jacobs and Droughns, coach Tom Coughlin is going to have a pair of big bodies to run behind fullback Jim Finn. Droughns is 5-foot-11 and 220, small compared to Jacobs, 6-4 and 264.

The two met for the first time on Monday and Droughns, who rushed for more than 1,200 yards in both 2004 and 2005 and 750 last season, was impressed.

"Oh, yeah. He's a big young fella," the seven-year veteran said.

It's so new, it was obvious that he did not want to create waves with Jacobs, the third-year running back who rushed 96 times for 423 yards (4.4 yard average) and nine touchdowns.

"It's not my job," Droughns said when asked if he considered the starting halfback job open. "It's Brandon's, because he was the guy who's here. Brandon's next in line. It's his job to lose, but I'm sure he doesn't want to lose it. It's going to be a good competition in training camp."