[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LB Briggs ready to sit out season

ebartender

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the part where he says he can take out loans to get him through the year. He has played football for a few years and he would have to take out loans to get by for one year. I guess this guy needs ahugh contract in order to get by for the next 4-5 years. :D

I love the part where he says he can take out loans to get him through the year. He has played football for a few years and he would have to take out loans to get by for one year. I guess this guy needs ahugh contract in order to get by for the next 4-5 years. :D

His salary was way south of a million last year. He isn't as rich as you think.

His salary was way south of a million last year. He isn't as rich as you think.

OK, so let say he has made $300K for the last 4-5 years. He can't take a year off without taking out a loan? That is called very poor financial planning.

OK, so let say he has made $300K for the last 4-5 years. He can't take a year off without taking out a loan? That is called very poor financial planning.

Can't disagree with ya. Just wanted to point out he hasn't been earning three mill a year for three years or anything.

Boy, he's not as smart as I thought. This will go nowhere. The Bears dropped a '0' on the end of his 2006 salary and he threatens to be the first guy ever to get hit with a franchise and try to sit out a season. If they can, I hope they franchise him TWICE now.

If he's willing to take out a loan to get by, where in the world is the gap in his synapses that prevent shim from taking out an insurance policy against long term injury and collect the 7 mil? When Rosenhaus begins to look like the reasonable one in a agent/client relationship someone isn't thinking straight.

Briggs, go look up Todd Bell and Al Harris. TIA.

"There is a whole city of people angry at me all because I want to know where I'll be able to retire and have job security."

So would I. Welcome to life.

Edited by Pope Flick

Good for him. I wouldnt want to play for the worst managed franchise in the NFL, outside of Arizona.

Sign the man to a contract he is worth, or lose the right to hold him back from getting his worth.

He WAS offered a pretty solid 6 year deal at the end of 2005 season that he turned down.

And I don't see how 7.2 million is somehow short of his true worth.

And I won't touch your first statement, except that they're not Arizona/Detroit/current Raiders bad. Close.

He WAS offered a pretty solid 6 year deal at the end of 2005 season that he turned down.

And I don't see how 7.2 million is somehow short of his true worth.

And I won't touch your first statement, except that they're not Arizona/Detroit/current Raiders bad. Close.

I wonder why he turned it down? Small signing bonus, backloaded or just wants to break the bank.

He is a top 5 LB, probably better than Urlacher, and he took it as a slap in the face offer, to be paid so much less than the golden boy.

Correct. And he dont want to be Javon Walker. Play get hurt and then people doubt you and you dont get what you should have got. J. Walker is the best example he messed up his knee and was getting low balled. Then traded. So why risk it. Remember this is their lively hood. Once he is done with football he wont see a payday like this again more than likely.

He is a top 5 LB, probably better than Urlacher, and he took it as a slap in the face offer, to be paid so much less than the golden boy.

Debatable about Urlacher, but the fact is they offered him what they could afford in that long term deal without tying up an unworkable percentage into the LB position for the team. They can eat the one year hit for 2007. Since it's a tool in the business he really is being petulant about this, especially given the fact that last year when TJ wanted out a handshake deal was reached for one more year, then a trade got worked. So, there's room on the Bears side to do that but they want another year out of him. That's business, and it's good business for the Bears. And we ARE talking about a raise to the tune of 10x, so I'm not buying the 'disrespect' or 'he's not getting his full value' ideas.

Edited by Pope Flick

Correct. And he dont want to be Javon Walker. Play get hurt and then people doubt you and you dont get what you should have got. J. Walker is the best example he messed up his knee and was getting low balled. Then traded. So why risk it. Remember this is their lively hood. Once he is done with football he wont see a payday like this again more than likely.

Javon was under contract. Players can always get hurt, but the "people doubt you" part is I think unfounded as players almost always come back from an ACL. It just takes time.

Javon wasn't getting low balled. Like any employee he had to prove himself before getting what he thought he was worth. He had one very good year and the team wanted to see he had more.

Sure this is their livlihood but these guys are saying they can't feed their families on $7million a year.

Players always hate franchise tags, but they should view them as a negotiating point. Making threats this early doesn't help. I don't mind him getting paid what he's worth but this doesn't seem to be helpful.

Its hard living 300k paycheck to paycheck

We will see how great you are when aren't playing along side #54 anymore.

I don’t think he is better than Urlacher. and i dont think briggs is top 5 LB, top 10 yes, Probably 7th best LB.

He is replaceable, just like Colvin and Holdman were.

He is selfish, greedy, and he wants to run a D.

"During the phone call, another interesting reason for leaving arose. Briggs, who is extremely close with the Bears' star Brian Urlacher, wants to run his own show somewhere and knows it can't happen with No. 54 manning the middle. "I've talked to Brian about it," said Briggs. "I'm a competitor and I want the same thing he has. I've learned a lot from Brian as a player and a leader and I eventually want to be 'the man' somewhere. I want to be like him and have everything put on me too. Obviously I'll never be able to do that there."

Briggs on local sport radio

Edited by whitem0nkey

:D

Briggs is hardly on the level of Urlacher. Let him go to another team & watch his performance drop. With the Bears he's barely sniffing near the top 10 range.

----*YAWN*---- He's gonna play. He is pissed off right now and going to the press with this is his only bargaining chip.

He just may be painting himself into a corner with this.

Word to the wise in IDP leagues - pick up Jamar Williams ASAP if you have the roster room. You can always cut him if Briggs decides to eat crow & play.

He just may be painting himself into a corner with this.

Word to the wise in IDP leagues - pick up Jamar Williams ASAP if you have the roster room. You can always cut him if Briggs decides to eat crow & play.

The Bills need to trade down now! Then trade some draft picks for him! Let's get it going Levy!!!