[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LB Briggs ready to sit out season

ebartender

... OR Lance could play this year and put his guaranteed $7.2 million in the bank. Sounds like a better plan than sitting out, getting nothing, and lowering one's market value by coming off as a prima donna.

This guy is a Rosie O'Donnell. I understand everything about being in Urlacher's shadow but if he were smart he'd take the money and contend for another year with a great defense. Build up his rep, mature, and run a defense then. It is Urlacher's show and who says Briggs will ever be a contender without him??

Briggs thinks too much of himself, I'd be surprised if he gets a blockbuster deal on the FA market and is leading a D next year. Sorry, that takes time and Briggs has shown me nothing to prove that he can do it by himself. And giving a guy over 7.2 on pure potential is ridiculous considering he already has some miles on him.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Briggs thinks too much of himself, I'd be surprised if he gets a blockbuster deal on the FA market and is leading a D next year. Sorry, that takes time and Briggs has shown me nothing to prove that he can do it by himself. And giving a guy over 7.2 on pure potential is ridiculous considering he already has some miles on him.

Uhmmm. Did you see the contracts that were given out this year?

I understand why fans are pissed, but I'd be willing to bet he holds out training camp and has a change of heart when the season starts. This song and dance has been done before.

Uhmmm. Did you see the contracts that were given out this year?

Yeah, I just think it's rare when this kind of an incident occurs for someone to leap out and pay a guy what he wants who obviously just wants to get paid. I think him bringing up the Urlacher thing is just to make him look like he's not a money grubber and is really a "character guy" who can change the face of a franchise with his good intentions.

Maybe SF would be a good fit with Clements already in the bag for $30 mil. I also thought Adaelius Thomas would surely end up there. 2nd rounder + ? for Briggs?

I understand why fans are pissed, but I'd be willing to bet he holds out training camp and has a change of heart when the season starts. This song and dance has been done before.

Agreed. Briggs has 7.2 million reasons to not hold out. Holding out for an entire season may also decrease his market value.

Agreed. Briggs has 7.2 million reasons to not hold out. Holding out for an entire season may also decrease his market value.

My prediction: he sits out camp, shows up late and gets hurt by Week 5 because he isn't in proper shape but plays anyways. Seems to happen like that when holdouts occur.

Most teams are going to pay a lot of attention to the fact that he sat out, if he does. Most of them will be smart enough to realize he will by that time be desperate to take anything he can get, having had zero income for a year and never having been paid more than 3/4 of a million a year.

I think LB is going to be up $hit creek if he continues in this direction.

My prediction: he sits out camp, shows up late and gets hurt by Week 5 because he isn't in proper shape but plays anyways. Seems to happen like that when holdouts occur.

Yes they do. Big difference between being in midseason form & being in your second week of playing - especially during the regular season when teams reduce hitting in practice. There's no way to prepare for the kind of contact that occurs in the NFL other than to be properly conditioned for it.

Briggs is on local radio here in Chicago. He says he is willing to get something worked out. Backed down from his statments saying he would not play another down for the Chicago Bears.

Rosie O'Donnell.

If you make noises like you're going to swing for the fences, don't lay down a bunt a couple of days later.

He said he is still willing to sit out but he is not against getting something done.

He backed down completely. Where's his "I won't play another down for them" stance? He talked tough & got called on it, and now he's acting like a little girl.

Nancy Briggs, OLB, CHI

the funny thing is briggs has beef with da bears, but he should be vocal against the NFLPA not the bears.

He should be less concerned about being the man on a new team, and more concerned on winning a superbowl, and he is on a team that just finished being there.

the funny thing is briggs has beef with da bears, but he should be vocal against the NFLPA not the bears.

What would the NFLPA be able to do for him? The Bears appear to be playing by the rules and Briggs would be guaranteed $7.2 million this season if he shut his pie hole and went to work.

With Rosenhaus as an agent I think you are seeing his negotiating style evident in all of this.

They could negotiate better so that teams are not allowed to slap the tag. He should be mad at them. Not the bears.

The bears are just exercising something that the NFLPA negotiated.

They negotiated it with the players.

Edited by Randall

They could negotiate better so that teams are not allowed to slap the tag.

Yeah, the owners ought to concede to all the player's demand, and then hand over another 37% of the gross revenues.

Players are employees. They are very well compensated for the concessions they make in the CBA. No one is forcing them to play pro football, but as long as they are they need to abide by the CBA as agreed.

Yeah, the owners ought to concede to all the player's demand, and then hand over another 37% of the gross revenues.

I was responding to this question.

What would the NFLPA be able to do for him?

And you should read why he asked that question. its because my point was his beef should be with the union not the bears.

Edited by whitem0nkey

They could negotiate better so that teams are not allowed to slap the tag. He should be mad at them. Not the bears.

The bears are just exercising something that the NFLPA negotiated.

Agreed about the Bears playing by the rules, but LOL at Briggs being ANGRY at the NFLPA for guaranteeing him $7.2 million this season. :D

correct me if im wrong

but I though that NFLPA represents the players and they negotiate with the league. and then the owners cast votes, if they agree with the terms negotiated.

They could issue signing statements and ignore agreed on issues they don't like. :D

I wonder why he turned it down? Small signing bonus, backloaded or just wants to break the bank.

To answer your question, he wants a long-term deal: "The $7.2 million -- although it's a good number, it looks nice -- there's no job security in it," Briggs told ESPN. "I played four years as a third-round draft pick. I played four years as a third-round draft pick at the league minimum, and there've been no talks of a contract negotiation this year. ... In my opinion, there is no intention on a long-term deal here.

"And if you don't have me in your plans for the long term, then I don't want to be here."

Edited by Crazysight

I can't say I really blame him...if I was looking around that team seeing other players who had 20 million, 30 million, etc. bankrolled and I was sitting there with only 3 million through 4 seasons after being a top linebacker in the NFL over the last 3, I'd want more for the long-term too. It's rough out there and you're only one serious injury from having it all taken away from you.

Edited by Crazysight