[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michael Irvin Actually Made me think!

CarryTheRock

Something I posted on one of my blogs...

I was laying on the couch with my son last night, flipping through the channels and decided to stop on The Best Damn Sports Show Period. I used to watch the show often back in the day but had not given it any of my time in quiet a while.

I almost turned the station when Michael Irvin began to speak. I find the guy very annoying. Like, cut off my left hand to distract me from his voice annoying. He is one of those guys that just gets louder the less he knows about a subject, which is often. I didn't even know he had a job after getting the boot from ESPN.

Anyway, I'm just getting set to flip to something less like the feeling of my head in a vice when Irvin says something that catches my ear. STOP! Wait! I rewind in amazement, wondering if I'm doing the right thing (The DVR came with very stern instructions not to use it on anything Michael Irvin says).

Irvin was discussing his induction into the Hall of Fame. Getting past all his jabber, what caught my ear was when he talked about being there for Troy and Emmit. Taking a look around he was blown away. Irvin said ( I wish I had a link for the exact quote but it was TV and some how Blues Clues got recorded in it''s place) that if he had went to the Hall of Fame in the beginning of his career he thought he may have put as much into his life off the field as he did on the field.

Wow! I forgot who the source of this was as I thought about it. A very good, valid point was just made here. And then the reality of it coming from Michael Irvin set in and I thought I must have heard it wrong. Again, laughing in the face of the DVR warning, I rewind. Yep...he said it. Michael Irvin just said something that made me stop and think.

Riddle me this (it was so much cooler when I said that before all the Batman movies came out in the 80's-90's). What if every rookie, as a right of passage, was required to tour The Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio? By himself, without distraction of other players or friends. A walk through the hall, taking in the history of the game they are about to enter. Planting a possible seed of appreciation for their position in life. The awareness of what could be if they cross the line as they pass the Arena Football exhibit. They would need to present proof of their appearance. Like a picture of them buying a "Someone who loves me went to The Hall of Fame and all I got was this stupid t-shirt" and then they have to present it personally to the league commish.

I have worked years in the Human Services field and I know that some people just plain are who they are. But I also know that with a little enlightenment, some people can make different choices. Show them what is obtainable. It wouldn't get them all, not even close, but even a few would be a good thing. In these days of big contracts and fake injuries maybe we would even get a better product on the field if some of these guys had that seed planted early of what can become of their career. Someday a rookie may be walking past the shoes of the enlightened players and hoping to be there some day.

All fun aside now. It's my thinking that if Michael Irvin can come to a conclusion as he did that many others could be reached with that single trip before the games begin.

Edited by CarryTheRock

You're kidding?

You're impressed with Irvin because he so belatedly became aware of the history of the greatest pro sport in the history of the planet?

Hell, I'd bet you a dime to a dollar that if Irvin wasn't doing color on a nationally televised sports show that half the incoming rookies wouldn't know who he was, much less other stars of the game who played decades before Irvin did, setting the table for the incoming kids to make the kind of money that they make to play football.

Look at how the union treats the older retired players. There's no respect for those that laid the path for these prima donnas or for the sport itself.

:D I'm impressed with the idea of what he said. I think I make it pretty much clear if you read the whole thing that I think he is an idiot. The idea is...never mind...

Edited by CarryTheRock

:D I'm impressed with the idea of what he said. I think I make it pretty much clear if you read the whole thing that I think he is an idiot. The idea is...never mind...

Yeah, I get the idea. My question is why it should be necessary. Why don't the kids know the history of the game?

When I was a kid, we knew everything there was to know about the game and we weren't entering it as our chosen profession. We did it because we loved the game.

Yeah, I get the idea. My question is why it should be necessary. Why don't the kids know the history of the game?

When I was a kid, we knew everything there was to know about the game and we weren't entering it as our chosen profession. We did it because we loved the game.

The idea isn't the history of the game...it's the idea of getting the most out of your career and the awarness of the greatness they can have in their position.

Your taking this way too seriously. Half of this was joking around. For example, I don't think the Arena League is a bad thing. What was said caused me to think about how it may give them more appreciation for what they have been offered.

Edited by CarryTheRock

This was rhetorical right? Or will we have to move this to the tailgate?

Its the same way in MLB and NBA. It shouldn't shock you. Look at Barry Bonds, his father was a player and his godfather was one of the greatest ever and look how he has disgraced the game (granted MLB allowed him to).

Edit to add- At least Irvin shows some remorse at his behavior. Maybe its even sincere

Edited by Zooty

The idea isn't the history of the game...it's the idea of getting the most out of your career and the awarness of the greatness they can have in their position.

Your taking this way too seriously. Half of this was joking around. For example, I don't think the Arena League is a bad thing. What was said caused me to think about how it may give them more appreciation for what they have been offered.

I understand that CTR is saying. He's basing this off a perspective that not many of us have...his background in Human Services.

Many young players are in awe of the bling, walking around with a posse, or have been told how great they are from day one that they don't stop and think - really think about - their place in life and potentially in the history of the game. Many of these guys have been give free passes in class, at a bar, at a restaurant and with the local authorities.

Would the silence of the busts in Canton make them think differently? Would Gayle Sayers do that? Do players know about Gayle and Brian Piccolo? What about Sweetness? How about the way he carried himself? Would they make any changes? It's their potential legacy talking to them.

Try it...what have we got to lose? If it positively impaces ONE player...it was worth it.

Edited by The Wolf

I just find it hard to believe that if lacing 'em up & stepping onto the turf at Lambeau Field to play, or to be on the field & in front of the fans in the Black Hole, or to look up at the roof in Dallas, or all the other venues in the NFL (except maybe freakin' domes...) in the NFL does not give a young player an idea of just how blessed they are, and how they can impact not only their own careers & the records of their teams, but also the fans, the city, and NFL history, then call me extremely skeptical that a walk through the HoF would change their attitudes at all.

I picture a group of 4th grade boys walking through the human anatomy section of a science museum...

I just find it hard to believe that if lacing 'em up & stepping onto the turf at Lambeau Field to play, or to be on the field & in front of the fans in the Black Hole, or to look up at the roof in Dallas, or all the other venues in the NFL (except maybe freakin' domes...) in the NFL does not give a young player an idea of just how blessed they are, and how they can impact not only their own careers & the records of their teams, but also the fans, the city, and NFL history, then call me extremely skeptical that a walk through the HoF would change their attitudes at all.

I picture a group of 4th grade boys walking through the human anatomy section of a science museum...

If you played at Michigan, Ohio State or for USC in the Rose Bowl for a few years, would Texas Stadium really awe you? The guys in the big-time programs are used to it. Maybe the guys from Hofstra aren't, and they're in awe.

Now if you had that tour and Bart Starr himself led it...and then you saw the busts of Packer greats, heard the stories, the echoes...AND THEN played at Lambeau? Maybe then it would all come together.

I'd bet over 50% of todays players would not know who that was...

Agreed. Isn't that a problem? Being a professional athlete is not just about the bling and the fame and the money...it's much more than that. It's being handed a legacy from generation to generation. To be a part of that is an enormous honor and responsibility. Players should know who their trailblazers were, as future generations will know who they are.

Did Irvin ask you something like this:

Smoky J sells cocaine. Smoky's source says he has to sell a G's worth of cocaine by the end of the month. If Smoky sold $245.00 the first week and $532.00 the second week, how much money must Smoky still make if he wants to avoid the beat down from his connection?

If you played at Michigan, Ohio State or for USC in the Rose Bowl for a few years, would Texas Stadium really awe you? The guys in the big-time programs are used to it. Maybe the guys from Hofstra aren't, and they're in awe.

Now if you had that tour and Bart Starr himself led it...and then you saw the busts of Packer greats, heard the stories, the echoes...AND THEN played at Lambeau? Maybe then it would all come together.

That's a reasonable point. I'll concede that it may be worth a try - though you'll still have to color me skeptical. Well done, CTR & Wolf.