[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baltimore Colts Fans

Big Red

When the Colts left town, we wanted them back. Then we wanted the name/colors for a later team, and we wanted the Baltimore Colts HOF players listed as Baltimore, not Indianapolis.

Now we have a team loved at least as much as the Colts had been, a new stadium and an other championship. The only thing remaining is the HOF players.

Now Canton is updating the location of players and how they are displayed. Nothing has been decided, but it may be possible to change how all Colt HOF'ers (except Dickerson) are displayed.

This article in the Baltimore Sun outlines what is going on.

Baltimore Sun

This page is a Baltimore NFL fan page about the Baltimore Colts in the HOF.

Colts Heritage

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the Colts left town, we wanted them back. Then we wanted the name/colors for a later team, and we wanted the Baltimore Colts HOF players listed as Baltimore, not Indianapolis.

Now we have a team loved at least as much as the Colts had been, a new stadium and an other championship. The only thing remaining is the HOF players.

Now Canton is updating the location of players and how they are displayed. Nothing has been decided, but it may be possible to change how all Colt HOF'ers (except Dickerson) are displayed.

This article in the Baltimore Sun outlines what is going on.

Baltimore Sun

This page is a Baltimore NFL fan page about the Baltimore Colts in the HOF.

Colts Heritage

For all the whining BAL has done, this is the one legit complaint. Unitas wasn't a freakin Indy Colt.

Actually I'd be happy with just changing it to say "Colts" and screw the city name bit.

Oh yeah and put the Ferengi in there as a Ram please.

For all the whining BAL has done, this is the one legit complaint. Unitas wasn't a freakin Indy Colt.

Actually I'd be happy with just changing it to say "Colts" and screw the city name bit.

Oh yeah and put the Ferengi in there as a Ram please.

This is about the only thing we complain about anymore. Aside from the length of time, getting a new team, the best stadium in the league and a championship makes things feel much better.

Until I read the second page, I did not know that the HOF decides how the displays are done, not the NFL. The NFL only allowed the Ravens to honor Unitas when he died, not the Colts.

How has the HoF handled other teams that have moved and took the franchise with them? The Cardinals, Raiders, Rams, and Titans all have players listed under the present day franchise city/team but either played/were inducted under a different team.

If the Browns name and history did come over with the move from Cleveland, would we even be having this conversation?

Like other people said, other teams have moved, and the history moved with it.

It's almost like deal Cleveland received is the same type of treatment Baltimore would have loved to receive. The problem is the example of the Colts jilting Baltimore is the reason why the NFL did something for the Browns name and history.

The problem is, it just so happened that Cleveland moved to the place that lost the Colts history, and there is some bitterness with the whole situation, but what can you do?

My God, not this crap again. :D

So, do the Rams, Cardinals, and Raiders have to ditch part of their history as well, or are their fans not whiny and pretentious enough to get their way? Does Cleveland get rights to the Ravens team that Modell stole from them and won a championship with just five years later?

The vast majority of Indianapolis fans believe that the Baltimore fans have every right to celebrate the legacies of Unitas, Berry, Super Bowl V, etc. But the Baltimore fans, who hypocritically stole THEIR current team from another city, want ALL of the Colts history in Baltimore to themselves. It's like trying to compromise with Yasser Arafat. I have no problem with the HOF doing these exhibits by city, rather than franchise. But you know it's just a matter of time now before the whiners in Baltimore petition the NFL to officially rip ALL of the Baltimore-era stats out of the Colts history book.

What's really sad about this is, despite stealing - um, I mean acquiring the Browns - um, I mean Ravens in the mid-90s, winning a Super Bowl, and rebuilding history with this new franchise, they're still in love with the Colts. Baltimore football fans are the remarried ex-wives who are still in love with their former husbands and just can't stand to see them with another woman. And it apparently got even worse when the Colts came into town two months ago, punched the highly-favored new husbands in the mouth, and hoisted the Lombardi Trophy three weeks later.

For Christ's sake, it happened nearly 23 years ago! You have your own team again... and they've won a Super Bowl! Let it go.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Christ Swerski, I knew you'd be the first pissy arse to post starting sheet.

I don't think your head has the ability to understand this. Honestly, I can't see how this thread could be offending to anyone. Go back under the rock you crawl out from now and again and enjoy the Colts success this year.

... but what can you do?

Like I said above, we have a team and colors now along with a championship and stadium. That is not and has not been the issue. We just want our history properly displayed and shown. That has really never been an option, but now it appears it may be.

Many people don't see this, but the Indy Colts are not seen to be the Baltimore Colts by fans in Baltimore. The Baltimore Colts and Baltimore Ravens are our history. The vast majority of old Baltimore Colts feel the same way, and they all want to be listed as Baltimore Colts in the HOF.

This is about the only thing we complain about anymore.

LMAO

Only thing YOU complain about anymore maybe. Trust me most fans in/from BAL will go to their graves pissing and moaning and crying about the move and people who had nothing to do w/it.

The NFL only allowed the Ravens to honor Unitas when he died, not the Colts.
Which was also 110% retarded. If I was Jimmy Irsay I would've had a big event at my house or some such (ie a personal thing, not as an "official team celebration") and invited the media.

My God, not this crap again. :D

So, do the Rams, Cardinals, and Raiders have to ditch part of their history as well, or are their fans not whiny and pretentious enough to get their way? Does Cleveland get rights to the Ravens team that Modell stole from them and won a championship with just five years later?

The vast majority of Indianapolis fans believe that the Baltimore fans have every right to celebrate the legacies of Unitas, Berry, Super Bowl V, etc. But the Baltimore fans, who hypocritically stole THEIR current team from another city, want ALL of the Colts history in Baltimore to themselves. It's like trying to compromise with Yasser Arafat. I have no problem with the HOF doing these exhibits by city, rather than franchise. But you know it's just a matter of time now before the whiners in Baltimore petition the NFL to officially rip ALL of the Baltimore-era stats out of the Colts history book.

What's really sad about this is, despite stealing - um, I mean acquiring the Browns - um, I mean Ravens in the mid-90s, winning a Super Bowl, and rebuilding history with this new franchise, they're still in love with the Colts. Baltimore football fans are the remarried ex-wives who are still in love with their former husbands and just can't stand to see them with another woman. And it apparently got even worse when the Colts came into town two months ago, punched the highly-favored new husbands in the mouth, and hoisted the Lombardi Trophy three weeks later.

For Christ's sake, it happened nearly 23 years ago! You have your own team again... and they've won a Super Bowl! Let it go.

LOL - exactly

Course as you can see you might as well be spitting into the wind :D

Many people don't see this, but the Indy Colts are not seen to be the Baltimore Colts by fans in Baltimore. The Baltimore Colts and Baltimore Ravens are our history.

What fans in BAL don't get is nobody else cares what you consider your history or what you consider the Colts to be or not to be. And the Indy Colts are not the Baltimore Colts. In fact to most fans they are simply THE Colts.

Hey it's cool to have pride in your city or sports history or whatever. Just tired of BAL fans spitting at anyone who disagrees, Colt fans most of all.

The more I think about it the more I think they really need to say screw the city names in the HOF and just list the team name and avoid all this BS altogether. It isn't about the city, it's about the team.

The old Baltimore Colt players also want nothing to do with the name "Indianapolis". It is a slap in their face that their achievments and accomplishments are listed under a city that they have no allegiance to.

What fans in BAL don't get is nobody else cares what you consider your history or what you consider the Colts to be or not to be. And the Indy Colts are not the Baltimore Colts. In fact to most fans they are simply THE Colts.

Hey it's cool to have pride in your city or sports history or whatever. Just tired of BAL fans spitting at anyone who disagrees, Colt fans most of all.

What's really disturbing about all of this is that the nutcases in Baltimore are (and have been) trying to change the rules to accomodate THEM. THEY were the ones who sued to get the SB V Lombardi Trophy back. THEY were the ones who mandated that the team name stays with the city. And now THEY are the ones who petitioned the NFL HOF to change the way that they display the game's history. It's all about THEM and piss on what anybody else wants. Nevermind the fact that they only represent 1/32 of the NFL. :D

Nevermind the fact that they only represent 1/32 of the NFL. :D

Actually, that would be 2/33, right? Considering they want the Baltimore Colts displayed as a 33rd team.

How is Dan Dierdorf enshrined, does he fall under the Arizona Cardinals?

If so, why aren't Ram fans putting up a stink on this site?

The old Baltimore Colt players also want nothing to do with the name "Indianapolis". It is a slap in their face that their achievments and accomplishments are listed under a city that they have no allegiance to.

Other then being together in the "Indianapolis Colts" section, is there any reference to Indianapolis anywhere on Unitas's or any other Baltimore player's shrine?

Looking at the Pro Football HoF site, they have the list of inductees listed by FRANCHISE, not by city. They just happened to list the current city along with the other cities that FRANCHISE was located in.

I hope you are fighting to get not only Baltimore it's own section, but also the LA Rams, LA Raiders, Chicago Cardinals, and the St. Louis Cardinals for their own section as well.

Why are you personally offended the the city of Baltimore is proud of it's football heritage?

I'm not. Baltimore deserves the right to celebrate their football heritage, but they DON'T have the right to tell the rest of the NFL how to celebrate theirs.

I'm not. Baltimore deserves the right to celebrate their football heritage, but they DON'T have the right to tell the rest of the NFL how to celebrate theirs.

Have we told the LA Rams fans to put up a stink? Have we told St. Louis Cards fans (are there any) to put up a stink.

This post was simply to make fans of Baltimore NFL history aware that this change may be a possibility soon. It does matter to us.

If it doesn't matter to you, why come into this thread? It took you about 4 seconds to turn this thread into an other pissing contest about who is right/wrong. The fact is some people believe that the Baltimore Colts players (no other team was mentioned) should be listed separate from Dickerson (the only Indy entry).

I find it comical that you tell us we have zero class, however you see fit to hijack this thread. Sad little man.

I really don't understand the big deal...it's just football. I can understand why the players want it since they played on the team, but the rest of the city? Come on...there HAS to be more important issues in the city to collaborate on than having Baltimore in front of Colts.

Whenever I meet an out-of-town writer who comes in to do a Ravens game, there's one phrase I always use: "Baltimore is a town of strong loyalties and long memories." Some might read that and think that Charm City should "get over it." That's symptomatic of what I call the "superficial society," that majority of people who care only about living in the moment and not revering the past.

Quote by Joe Platania, PressBox

It's because we remember the team. It is part of our past. Just because they moved doesn't mean we will forget them.

Quote by Joe Platania, PressBox

It's because we remember the team. It is part of our past. Just because they moved doesn't mean we will forget them.

I want to make sure you were actually alive and aware of this and watched the Baltimore Colts. The people that really get on my nerves are the ones that were 4 or 5 years old or younger when the team moved.

I'm guessing you were actually old enough to know the Baltimore Colts.

If it doesn't matter to you, why come into this thread? It took you about 4 seconds to turn this thread into an other pissing contest about who is right/wrong. The fact is some people believe that the Baltimore Colts players (no other team was mentioned) should be listed separate from Dickerson (the only Indy entry).

I find it comical that you tell us we have zero class, however you see fit to hijack this thread. Sad little man.

Speaking of sad little men, what gives the pretentious fans in Baltimore the right to tell the HOF how to display its players? Why did they sue for the SB V Lombardi Trophy? Why did the NFL have to step in and tell the Colts that they couldn't honor Unitas when he died? Why do Baltimore Colts fans act like that they're the first and only people to lose a football franchise to another city? And why do they feel that they deserve special teatment? Was the league allowing them to steal the Browns from Cleveland not enough reparation?

Sorry, but I call them like I see them. Some of you guys definitely have zero class.

Whenever I meet an out-of-town writer who comes in to do a Ravens game, there's one phrase I always use: "Baltimore is a town of strong loyalties and long memories." Some might read that and think that Charm City should "get over it." That's symptomatic of what I call the "superficial society," that majority of people who care only about living in the moment and not revering the past.

Translation: Baltimore is a city of overly-sensitive people who feel that the world owes them something because their needs are supposedly more important than everybody else's. That's symptomatic of what I call the "entitlement society," where the majority of people think that society owes them whatever they feel that they've been "cheated" out of.

Edited by Bill Swerski