[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baltimore Colts Fans

Big Red

I'm guessing you were actually old enough to know the Baltimore Colts.

Yes. I was 12 when they moved. My aunt, who revived her season tickets as soon as the Ravens put them on sale, not only would take me to a few games a year, but knew some of the cheerleaders. That helped meet some players after the game. I still remember waiting in the halls beneath the memorial lettering after games. We would catch the bus at the Gattus Bar on Old North Point Road. This bar is still open and still displays a blue Colts horseshoe in each corner of it's sign.

I got old enough to really like following the team, then they left. That sucks ass.

Speaking of sad little men, what gives the pretentious fans in Baltimore the right to tell the HOF how to display its players? Why did they sue for the SB V Lombardi Trophy? Why did the NFL have to step in and tell the Colts that they couldn't honor Unitas when he died? Why do Baltimore Colts fans act like that they're the first and only people to lose a football franchise to another city? And why do they feel that they deserve special teatment? Was the league allowing them to steal the Browns from Cleveland not enough reparation?

Sorry, but I call them like I see them. Some of you guys definitely have zero class.

Translation: Baltimore is a city of overly-sensitive people who feel that the world owes them something because their needs are supposedly more important than everybody else's. That's symptomatic of what I call the "entitlement society," where the majority of people think that society owes them whatever they feel that they've been "cheated" out of.

-Because all but one HOF 'Indy' Colt never played a game in Indy.

-Because it was won in Baltimore, cheered for by Baltimore fans.

-Because Unitas wanted less than nothing to do with Indy. He played all his game in Baltimore and attended every Ravens game. His place on the sidelines still has his jersey as part of the turf.

-We don't act like we are the only city to ever lose a franchise, we act like we are the only city to lose the Baltimore Colts.

We don't want special treatment, we just want the Baltimore history listed under the Baltimore name.

You'll never get it. Just because the Colts of Baltimore are not put on TV, used to sell mobiles phones and Master Cards, you seem to think they no longer exist. The Baltimore Colts players still live in Baltimore. You act as if the Baltimore Colts players all moved to Indy and actually give to farts about that town. Sad.

I had to add this edit: The Baltimore Colts players ARE still used to sell products on TV. Just local Baltimore TV. See any Baltimore Colts players on Indy TV? Except for Unitas, would you even know one if you saw them?

Edited by Big Red

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll never get it.

No, I understand perfectly. The Colts are a HUGE part of Baltimore's sports history. And I have absolutely no problem with the fans' desire to continue to honor them.

What I have a BIG problem with is the fact that many of these people want the EXCLUSIVE rights to the pre-1984 Colts history. They sued for the SB trophy. They've petitioned the HOF to display the pre-1984 Colts in the way that THEY want it. The next logical step is to petition the NFL to officially remove the pre-1984 Colts history from the organization's record books. You know they'll do it. I'm sure that they've tried already.

The Colts history and legacy belong to both the city of Baltimore and the organization itself EQUALLY. Bob Irasay may have been a liar and a drunk, but he OWNED the team. He paid everybody, from the players down to the beer vendors. He paid Baltimore and Indy rent for the use of their stadiums. The Colts are a BUSINESS as much as they are a sports franchise.

Edited by Bill Swerski

They've petitioned the HOF to display the pre-1984 Colts in the way that THEY want it. The next logical step is to petition the NFL to officially remove the pre-1984 Colts history from the organization's record books. You know they'll do it. I'm sure that they've tried already.

The players have request their records be removed. They actually seem to worry more about that than the fans, but yes, the records don't really belong their either in my opinion.

I believe the city has sued the NFL at least three times. I'd be surprised if the records weren't part of one of those.

One more small thing, the fans have moved on with regard to the name. The instant the team was named the Ravens, the Baltimore Colts Marching band, founded years before the current Indy Colts, changed their name to the Baltimore Ravens Marching Band. They had previously won a lawsuit to keep the name Colts and won, yet changed their name to Ravens as soon as they could.

And what team would they then be listed under? The Ravens? :D

Take your helmet off so you can hear better. The Players/Fans of Baltimore consider the histories separate. They would like to see a separate, non-continuous history for the Baltimore Colts. The Ravens nor Indy Colts would list those records.

Both teams mention the records now, this is mainly something the players would like. Besides, Indy has a fine team now. I even hear they have their own trophy. Why would they want to consider the history from Baltimore as their own when they have written their own great history now?

Take your helmet off so you can hear better.

:D

The Players/Fans of Baltimore consider the histories separate. They would like to see a separate, non-continuous history for the Baltimore Colts. The Ravens nor Indy Colts would list those records.

The players/fans outside of Baltimore may feel differently and I don't understand why the opinion of one city is supposedly so freaking important. I'm sorry that they're more sensitive to their ex-football team leaving than people in L.A. or St. Louis, but that doesn't entitle them to special treatment.

Besides, Indy has a fine team now. I even hear they have their own trophy.

Funny, I hear that Baltimore has a relatively new team called the Ravens. And I hear that these Ravens were able to get the city of Baltimore a Lombardi Trophy without the use of death threats and a high-priced team of lawyers. :tup:

Why would they want to consider the history from Baltimore as their own when they have written their own great history now?

The Colts are a PRIVATELY-OWNED BUSINESS. The city of Baltimore does not own them. The city of Indianapolis does not own them. The Ravens fans do not own them. Not even the Indianapolis or Baltimore Colts fans own them. Do you understand now, or do I have to explain it another six or seven times? :D

Baltimore Colts fans can celebrate their team all that they want, but NOT at the expense of somebody else. They can include them in the City of Baltimore Pro Football record book. But they CANNOT take away that history from the Colts franchise.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Take your helmet off so you can hear better. The Players/Fans of Baltimore consider the histories separate. They would like to see a separate, non-continuous history for the Baltimore Colts. The Ravens nor Indy Colts would list those records.

Too bad?

Don't worry. Marvin Harrison already has surpassed most of Berry's records, and Manning is bearing down on Unitas.

Edited by CaptainHook

The players/fans outside of Baltimore may feel differently and I don't understand why the opinion of one city is supposedly so freaking important. I'm sorry that they're more sensitive to their ex-football team leaving than people in L.A. or St. Louis, but that doesn't entitle them to special treatment.

i guess that's what i'm wondering. the HOF has decided to organize its entries by team, not by location. baltimore making a fuss over this strikes me not so much as pride in their sports heritage, but as petty whining by a spoiled city.

Do you understand now, or do I have to explain it another six or seven times? :D

As I would hope you realize, you could explain it at least 100 more times and it still wouldn't sink.

But please go on; this is entertaining in a "I can't believe I'm so bored I'm reading this" kind of way.

PS strange as it seems, any other Colt fans miss the "you'll never win a SB in that town!" droolers? :D Poor guys. First it was "you'll never have a good team"....then the Colts got good and it was "you'll never win a playoff game"....then they did, so backed in a corner all they had was "you'll never get a ring".....now what can they rip us for?

I know! "You'll never have the drug dealing/murder cover-up artists like we have" Well got us there.

Edited by BeeR

As I would hope you realize, you could explain it at least 100 more times and it still wouldn't sink.

But please go on; this is entertaining in a "I can't believe I'm so bored I'm reading this" kind of way.

Fifty $$-somebody is looking for ya :D

Baltimore football fans think it's just retarded to think that the pre '84 Colts history belongs anywhere but Indy. No one in Indy cared about them prior to '84. It's just plain stoooooopid.

As I said before, most people in Indy wouldn't know the HOF Colts if they bumbed into them. Anyone who thinks the numbers belong to Indy is just pretending.

Indy should be proud of Harrison and Manning, just as proud as we are of all our HOF'ers. Hope you team doesn't leave in 20 or so years and you have to go through this.

Baltimore football fans think it's just retarded to think that the pre '84 Colts history belongs anywhere but Indy. No one in Indy cared about them prior to '84. It's just plain stoooooopid.

As I said before, most people in Indy wouldn't know the HOF Colts if they bumbed into them. Anyone who thinks the numbers belong to Indy is just pretending.

Indy should be proud of Harrison and Manning, just as proud as we are of all our HOF'ers. Hope you team doesn't leave in 20 or so years and you have to go through this.

Or they could just view the stats and the history as Colts' history. It's just as much Colts' history as it is Baltimore's history. They both have a claim to it. That's the part you don't understand.

Edited by CaptainHook

Anyone who thinks the numbers belong to Indy is just pretending.

Nobody thinks that. They belong to the COLTS organization, which happens to be located in Indianapolis now. Do you need me to explain the difference between privately-owned business and a government-owned entity again?

Or they could just view the stats and the history as Colts' history. It's just as much Colts' history as it is Baltimore's history. They both have a claim to it. That's the part you don't understand.

I wonder if Big Red is related to Yasser Arafat. :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

Nobody thinks that. They belong to the COLTS organization, which happens to be located in Indianapolis now. Do you need me to explain the difference between privately-owned business and a government-owned entity again?

I wonder if Big Red is related to Yasser Arafat. :D

I understand the Colts are private. I just don't understand why the team or the fans would want the Baltimore history.

I saw Tony Dungy wearing a shirt that had printed on it "Indianapolis Colts - Founded 1953". Made me laugh.

Hats off to any team that has changed their name and left it behind and/or available. The original Ottawa Senators existed from 1893 until 1934, then they moved, then folded. The current team was founded in 1992, 58 years after the original moved. They revived the name and colors. Their history mattered to them.

I saw Tony Dungy wearing a shirt that had printed on it "Indianapolis Colts - Founded 1953". Made me laugh.

:D cause the Colts franchis WAS founded in '53?

John Unitas played for the Colts. So it IS a part of Colts' history, no matter how you want to slice it.

Perhaps if the city of Baltimore supported the team a little better, they wouldn't have moved. Then they could have kept all that history to themselves. Teams have bad owners sometimes. Robert Irsay was one. Guess what? I still bought season tickets and went to the games when he was an owner, even though I disagreed with his actions. The city of Indianapolis built a new stadium to get him here. Both of those things the city of Baltimore was apparently unwilling to do. And they paid the price. Now they want to cry about it, 20+ years later. Well, suck it up.

Hats off to any team that has changed their name and left it behind and/or available. The original Ottawa Senators existed from 1893 until 1934, then they moved, then folded. The current team was founded in 1992, 58 years after the original moved. They revived the name and colors. Their history mattered to them.

Hats off to the Rams, Raiders, and Cardinals for not allowing people like you tell them how to run their businesses.

BTW, the Tennessee Titans still include the Houston Oilers history as their own. The residents of Houston have dealt with it in a much classier manner than some of the Baltimore fans.

Perhaps if the city of Baltimore supported the team a little better, they wouldn't have moved.

No kidding. Perhaps if the Maryland legislature wouldn't have threatened to unethically give the city eminent domain rights to seize a private business, Bob Irsay may not have decided to flee in the middle of the night. Irsay may have been a scumbag, but I would've probably done the same thing if the government had attempted to seize my business.

You guys is funny.

The Baltimore fans went to the game, payed to watch the record set. The players set the records. Both groups want the heritage up to '83. If you don't agree, then don't push for the records to be listed as Baltimore. Personally, I tend to agree with those who set the records, not those who happened to inherit the colors and name.

I'm not even going to get into why the Colts moved. That is a different thread all together.

I don't know why I'm getting into this debate as well, however, I need to point out that you are contradicting yourself with your own statement.........

I understand the Colts are private.

AND

I just don't understand why the team .............would want the Baltimore history.

The "history" created in the city of Baltimore is also the Colts "team" history. I would also argue that the Colt's have greater ownership of that "history" than does the city in which it was created. As both Hook and Swerski said, the "team" has as much right's to the history as the city in which it was created.

While I hope this doesn't happen, if the Colt's do ever decide to move, the Colt's organization will take the records of Peyton, and Marvin, Dickerson, and the SB Trophy........etc, etc, etc..... Now that history will have happened here in Indy, and while I'm fiercely loyal to the Colt's, I would never expect that the Colt's organization should leave that history with the city of Indianapolis like they had no part of it.

Spoiled? Have you been to Baltimore lately? If a nice harbor and a few decent schools surrounded by miles of ghetto is spoiled, then spoiled it is.

....yet they had enough millions to build a nice big stadium to lure an NFL team to town. AFTER the Colts left.

OTOH credit to you for being one of the few who will admit how ghetto the town is.

The players set the records. Both groups want the heritage up to '83.

Many of these players also were unable to enjoy the SB V victory over the Cowboys because they were still "traumatized" by being upset by the Jets two years earlier. :D:D Sorry, but I don't hold the opinion of people like that in very high esteem.

Edited by Bill Swerski

It is what it is. Guess it's one of those things that you won't understand unless you've been there.

About the stadium, we learned the hard way about not having a new stadium. The Colts left, and within a few years, the Orioles had a package in place and planning began. At the same time, the deal to build a new stadium when a team comes was put into stone. It just took about 10 more years to get a team. Still can't believe Jacksonville, home of the home blackout, got a team over Baltimore and St. Louis.