[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baltimore Colts Fans

Big Red

It is what it is. Guess it's one of those things that you won't understand unless you've been there.

You're right. The rest of the country doesn't understand the whiny, pretentious attitude that's pervasive in Baltimore. Guess what? The rest of the country doesn't care, either.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right. The rest of the country doesn't understand the whiny, pretentious attitude that's pervasive in Baltimore. Guess what? The rest of the country doesn't care, either.

If you think Baltimore, of all places, is pretentious - I'd hate to have lived where you have. :D

It is what it is. Guess it's one of those things that you won't understand unless you've been there.

? Been where? The town? Memorial Stadium? I was in both numerous times. Both were an ARHMPIT (lol @ that being censored). I'm amazed the Colts stayed as long as they did.

About the stadium, we learned the hard way about not having a new stadium.

Again refreshingly honest, props for that Edited by BeeR

Without any interest in either team, it's up to the owners of the Colts as to where the records belong.

Modell's legal settlement with the NFL included leaving the Browns and their records in Cleveland as part of the price to allow him to leave. He accepted that. He wanted out of dodge.

The Houston Oilers present a different outcome, but the theory is the same: the owner can choose what the status of the records are (from wiki):

Adama also declared that the renamed team would retain the Oilers' heritage (including team records) and that there would be a Hall of Fame honoring the greatest players from both eras......NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue raised no objection when Adams declared that he would retain the rights to the Oilers name--effectively foreclosing Houston from reclaiming it for an expansion team.

So, that's the precedent: twice. The owner can choose what he/she wants to do with the record book. Modell jettisoned it to get the hell outta dodge, and Earl Campbell's records lie with the Tennessee Titans. What does that ultimately mean? The Titans are the franchise that drafted a 1-AA Quarterback who led his team to a 15-13-1 record with a high first round draft pick. :D:D

Why doesn't the HOF just change the display to Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts?

I guess then you'd have to go with:

Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs

Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans

St. Louis/Pheonix/Arizona Cardinals

Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams

New York Titans/Jets

And the biggie:

Oakland/Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders

Why doesn't the HOF just change the display to Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts?

I guess then you'd have to go with:

Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs

Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans

St. Louis/Pheonix/Arizona Cardinals

Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams

New York Titans/Jets

And the biggie:

Oakland/Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders

There would probably be more. Off the top of my head, the Redskins started in Boston, and were called the Boston Braves. They even played at Fenway park.

They moved to Washington and were renamed the Redskins.

Teams making more significant moves, in chronological order

Decatur Staleys: to Chicago in 1921 (renamed the Chicago Bears in 1922)

Toledo Maroons: to Kenosha, WI in 1924 [1]

Pottsville Maroons: to Boston as the Bulldogs in 1929

Dayton Triangles: to Brooklyn as the Dodgers in 1930 (renamed Brooklyn Tigers in 1944)

Portsmouth Spartans: to Detroit as the Lions in 1934

Boston Redskins: to Washington, D.C. in 1937

Cleveland Rams: to Los Angeles in 1946

Chicago Cardinals: to St. Louis in 1960

Los Angeles Chargers: to San Diego in 1961 while in the AFL

Dallas Texans: to Kansas City, MO as the Kansas City Chiefs in 1963 while in the AFL

Oakland Raiders: to Los Angeles in 1982

Baltimore Colts: to Indianapolis in 1984

St. Louis Cardinals: to Tempe, AZ in 1988

Los Angeles Raiders: back to Oakland in 1995

Los Angeles Rams: to St. Louis in 1995

Houston Oilers: temporarily to Memphis, TN in 1997 as the Tennessee Oilers and permanently to Nashville in 1998 (renamed Tennessee Titans in 1999)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_franchise_moves_and_mergers

Anyway, for those of us interested in the Baltimore History, check out the links I listed. For all other, see Spain or Blitz if you want a long arguement.

Well, I read through it and posted my facts above. While you might get something you like at the Hall of Fame regarding the "Team Rooms" you don't have a leg to stand on for the pre1983 Colt records returning to Baltimore. It's up to Irsay and I don't think he's going to go for it. And he shouldn't.

Well, I read through it and posted my facts above. While you might get something you like at the Hall of Fame regarding the "Team Rooms" you don't have a leg to stand on for the pre1983 Colt records returning to Baltimore. It's up to Irsay and I don't think he's going to go for it. And he shouldn't.

I don't think it will ever happen either, doesn't mean I have to like it.

Teams making more significant moves, in chronological order

Decatur Staleys: to Chicago in 1921 (renamed the Chicago Bears in 1922)

Toledo Maroons: to Kenosha, WI in 1924 [1]

Pottsville Maroons: to Boston as the Bulldogs in 1929

Dayton Triangles: to Brooklyn as the Dodgers in 1930 (renamed Brooklyn Tigers in 1944)

Portsmouth Spartans: to Detroit as the Lions in 1934

Boston Redskins: to Washington, D.C. in 1937

Cleveland Rams: to Los Angeles in 1946

Chicago Cardinals: to St. Louis in 1960

Los Angeles Chargers: to San Diego in 1961 while in the AFL

Dallas Texans: to Kansas City, MO as the Kansas City Chiefs in 1963 while in the AFL

Oakland Raiders: to Los Angeles in 1982

Baltimore Colts: to Indianapolis in 1984

St. Louis Cardinals: to Tempe, AZ in 1988

Los Angeles Raiders: back to Oakland in 1995

Los Angeles Rams: to St. Louis in 1995

Houston Oilers: temporarily to Memphis, TN in 1997 as the Tennessee Oilers and permanently to Nashville in 1998 (renamed Tennessee Titans in 1999)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_franchise_moves_and_mergers

Well, I could have gone into more detail but just listed the ones off the top of my head. Forgot about the LA Chargers and the Chicago Cardinals. Nice find though! :D

And this coming from a hated rival Steelers fan:

I don't blame ya one bit BR. I'd hate it too.

Appreciate that. BTW, I'm a huge Penguins fans. It was them or the Crapitals, and the Penguins where the parent team of the Baltimore Skipjacks at the time, so I went with them.

Well, I could have gone into more detail but just listed the ones off the top of my head. Forgot about the LA Chargers and the Chicago Cardinals. Nice find though! :D

The NFL folded the original Baltimore Colts. Then a franchise or two in New York was started and folded within a year or two. That spot was then awarded to Dallas as the Texans. Then, after the Texans folded, the NFL gave Baltimore an other (the current Indy franchise) franchise. It was not officially the Texans, but most of the players and all the equipment from Dallas was sent to Baltimore.

The original Colts had been green and white as those had been the colors of the Miami Seahawks teams when they moved to Baltimore. The Texans had been blue and white, so that is why the current Colts are blue and white. A lot of the equipment originally had the old Texans logo on it or the remnants of the logo from items that had the stitched logo removed. Players had said they could see the Texans name outlined on their parkas as they had just been removed and given as is to the new players.