[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eagles land Curtis

Bronco Billy

LINK

Eagles, WR Curtis Agree To Six-Year Deal

March 15, 2007

By DAVE SPADARO

The Eagles and free agent wide receiver Kevin Curtis have agreed to terms on a six-year contract, the team announced Thursday afternoon. More details will follow. The Eagles had Curtis in for a visit last week and worked hard to get the deal done.

Terms of the deal were not announced.

Curtis, one of the most highly-regarded free agents on the market this year, had talks with at least four other teams for his services. The Eagles won out in the end, and now they get a player who caught 100 passes and caught 10 touchdown passes in his final two seasons with the Rams.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Curtis owner in one league and a McNabb owner in another, I'm quite pleased.

Curtis could actually gravitate to the #1 WR spot by the time the regular season starts.

What makes you think so (ahead of Reggie Brown?), and do you think he can actually handle that workload?

He had a nice 2005, but he didn't put up stats worthy of a #3 last year.

how often does a team's #3 go on to be a productive #1 or #2 on a different team? I may be wrong but I don't think it's very often.

Opportunity. Of course, I see Curtis' skills & experience as being better than Brown's.

Brown had 46 catches, 816 yds, & 8 TDs as the #1 WR on PHI's #4 ranked passing game last year. Curtis had 60 catches for 801 yds & 7 TDs as the #3/spot #2 WR in '05 for STL's #2 pass O.

More importantly, when Bruce was hurt & Curtis finally had a chance to start 5 games, he responed with 20 catches for 388 yds & 4 TDs in those 5 games - that equates to a 64 catch, 1242 yds, 13 TD season over 16 games. He seamlessly filled the gap left by Bruce. In not one of those 5 games did he have less than 63 yds receiving, and he had TDs in 4 straight games. That's an effective WR.

Hard to blame Curtis for not having opportunity - STL never gave him a shot of competing fairly with Bruce.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Bah, the Vikings didn't need him... he's no Bobby Wade. :D

I was holding out hope we could get him here. But not going to cry that he isn't. Anyone seen any numbers for the contract yet?

Ok, who's left for the Vikes? Moulds...Copper? Who else is out there?

I am shocked that the Eagles felt more pressure to upgrade their WR corps than Hou, Minn, KC or Tenn ...

There are a lot of teams looking for WR help and not a lot of WR help out there ...

I truly think several WRs in the draft are going to be impact players out of the gate ...

I also wonder what will happen to Bryant, Travis Taylor and Moulds ...

Eagles | Curtis contract details

Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:00:03 -0700

Updating a previous report, John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the six-year deal between the Philadelphia Eagles and WR Kevin D. Curtis (Rams) is worth $32 million, according to a league source. It includes a $7 million signing bonus and $9.5 million in guaranteed money.

Near as I can figure, Stallworth played 12 games with Philly but left early or didn't play in 2 of those.

His stats in the other 10 games:

37 catches 699yrs and 5tds'

I view Curtis at least as good as Stallworth, if not better.

Just taking those over a full 16 would give you

59 catches 1118yds and 10 td's.

Eagles | Curtis contract details

Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:00:03 -0700

Updating a previous report, John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the six-year deal between the Philadelphia Eagles and WR Kevin D. Curtis (Rams) is worth $32 million, according to a league source. It includes a $7 million signing bonus and $9.5 million in guaranteed money.

Note this contract is roughly equal to Stallworth with about twice as much bonus and much more guaranteed money ...

Per PFT:

CURTIS GETS $9.5 MILLION GUARANTEED

Various outlets are reporting, and we have separately confirmed, that the contract that receiver Kevin Curtis signed with the Eagles includes $9.5 million in guaranteed money.

Contrary to reports that the deal is worth $32 million over six years, we're told that the base number is a hair under $30 million, with $1 million salary escalators in each of the last two years of the deal that push the total value to just under $32 million. The escalators, we're told, are easily reachable -- and are based on receptions.

Curtis also received a $7 million signing bonus. [uPDATE: We're told that the money will be paid out as a $2 million signing bonus and a $5 million roster bonus.] The remainder of the guaranteed money comes from a fully-guaranteed base salary of $1 million in 2007 and $1.5 million in guaranteed base salary in 2008. His total 2008 base salary is $2 million, and he's due to receive a $1.5 million roster bonus in March of next year.

The deal also has roster bonuses in future years and an annual $250,000 Pro Bowl incentive. [uPDATE: We're told that the Pro Bowl incentive is $200,000.]

Per a league source, the decision came down to the Eagles and the Vikings. Both made solid offers, but Curtis in the end opted for Philly, due in large part to the presence of coach Andy Reid and the string of success that the franchise has enjoyed on his watch.

Near as I can figure, Stallworth played 12 games with Philly but left early or didn't play in 2 of those.

His stats in the other 10 games:

37 catches 699yrs and 5tds'

I agree with this. Stallworth didn't have the benefit of mini-camps or most of the preseason with PHI last year, yet he was capable of the numbers above.

Curtis will have the benefit of working in the PHI O from the start this year, and PHI has turned into a very good passing O.

It's just the numbers that are available and the players there that are capable of taking up those numbers. It seems to me like there is a large share left for Curtis with the hole created by Stallworth.

You have to take into consideration that most of his yardage comes from 1 long pass when the Rams decided to air it out to someone other than Holt. He's also pretty good at those little slant passes where he can use his speed to get some decent YACs.

IMO, I think it's stretching it to predict those numbers. I see him around 900 with about 6 TDs.

I've been a big Curtis fan for years and hope he can move up in the ranks. Hell, Fuerry made a decent #2 for the Lions last year once he got away from Holt, Bruce, and Curtis.

You have to take into consideration that most of his yardage comes from 1 long pass when the Rams decided to air it out to someone other than Holt. He's also pretty good at those little slant passes where he can use his speed to get some decent YACs.

IMO, I think it's stretching it to predict those numbers. I see him around 900 with about 6 TDs.

I've been a big Curtis fan for years and hope he can move up in the ranks. Hell, Fuerry made a decent #2 for the Lions last year once he got away from Holt, Bruce, and Curtis.

The numbers I was using were Stallworth's numbers with the Eagles. They weren't Curtis' form the Rams.

If he's good at the slant passes, Philly is a good place for him to be.

McNabb back full strength, I don't think it's a stretch that Curtis gets over 1000 yards with 8 td's.