[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cato June

Footballjoe

An upgrade? Based on what? The two regular-season games that he played last season?

Actually yes. And the Colts track record of drafting and grooming quality linebackers. Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington, David Thornton, Cato June, Gilbert Gardner, and now Freddie Keiaho.

Um, ok, all of those except Gilbert Gardner . . . :D

An upgrade? Based on what? The two regular-season games that he played last season?

Teams are going run off-tackle at the Colts all of next season and it ain't gonna be pretty.

I agree....I've been eyeing Keiaho since the Colts drafted him. No way is he an upgrade from June. Especially in the Cover 2 scheme. June's coverage skills will be sorely missed, and although Keiaho is a little more filled out physically, his lack of athletic ability compared to June's will be evident...and he won't track down ball carriers as well. Sure, June wasn't able to shed blocks all that well...but he more than made up for it with his "big play" ability. When he got to the ball carrier, he made the stop. The Bucs got a nice LB, and I'm sure they know exactly how they want to use him, based on his skills. Hate to see him go. :D

Actually yes. And the Colts track record of drafting and grooming quality linebackers. Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington, David Thornton, Cato June, Gilbert Gardner, and now Freddie Keiaho.

Um, ok, all of those except Gilbert Gardner . . . :doh:

Polian is definitely one of the best drafting GMs in the league (if not THE best), but Keiaho is far from a lock to be an improvement over June. Nothing against Freddie, but I'd like to see him play more than a couple of games before I buy into the fact that he'll be an improvement over June. Has he even played WLB before? I thought that his limited playing time on defense was at MLB.

You mean the guy that lost his job to former 1st round bust Rob Morris? :D The Colts re-signed Morris this offseason and not June? :tup::D

Given that the Colts are desperate for help at SLB as well, I don't fault them for re-signing Morris as a stop-gap (assuming that they didn't pay him much).

I said he might even be an upgrade. June was a very good fit in the Indy cover 2 as a WLB. I just don't know where else he would fit at TB. Keiaho is raw, and undicsiplined. Having said that, no, I don't think he can cover like June did, after all June used to be a safety, but I think he has other strengths that June didn't have. For one, I think he can shed blocks better, but he also has a sort of wrecklessness that I like in an LB. In any case, I guess we'll find out. I'm not calling Keiaho the answer yet, but I think he has some promise.

Polian is definitely one of the best drafting GMs in the league (if not THE best), but Keiaho is far from a lock to be an improvement over June. Nothing against Freddie, but I'd like to see him play more than a couple of games before I buy into the fact that he'll be an improvement over June. Has he even played WLB before? I thought that his limited playing time on defense was at MLB.

Given that the Colts are desperate for help at SLB as well, I don't fault them for re-signing Morris as a stop-gap (assuming that they didn't pay him much).

I agree....I too think that Freddie has alot of potential, but he will help the Colts in different ways than June did. I hope they get someone else to play WLB as I think when ready, Freddie would be an upgrade at MLB. As Rovers mentioned, he has that sort of "recklessness" you like.

Edited by Hitman

Freddie would be an upgrade at MLB. As Rovers mentioned, he has that sort of "recklessness" you like.

An upgrade over Brackett? Not sure I agree with that. But he'd definitely be an upgrade over those clowns at SLB.

We'll see what the kid can do. Hopefully Simon can get his fat ass into playing shape and contribute this season. That would take a lot of pressure off of their LBs.

I agree....I too think that Freddie has alot of potential, but he will help the Colts in different ways than June did. I hope they get someone else to play WLB as I think when ready, Freddie would be an upgrade at MLB. As Rovers mentioned, he has that sort of "recklessness" you like.

The guy I keep hearing that the Colts will use to back up Brackett at MLB is Tyjuan Hagler. I'm not sure what they are going to do at the strong side, maybe draft a guy, but hell, they won the SB with Rob Morris . . .

I know they will miss June is pass coverage, but the Colts pass defense is actually pretty good. It's the fact that their linebackers don't make plays in the running game that put them 32nd in the league against the run. I honestly believe Keiaho will help in that regard. Everybody said the same thing when the Colts let Marcus Washington go, and when they let Peterson go, and when they let Thornton go. This is how they Colts operate. They don't pay big bucks to LB's. They draft 'em, and play 'em for three or four years until they are UFA's. They will be fine.

I'm pretty surprised Leslie Frazier and the Vikings seemed to show no interest in him. It's not like our LB corps is rock solid. And Frazier would have experience with him. That might be a red flag right there for Bucs fans expecting much from him.

Maybe it was because of his inability to tackle a running back. They didn't seem to have any problems running past him last year.

Maybe it was because of his inability to tackle a running back. They didn't seem to have any problems running past him last year.

You cant blame the Colts inability to stop the run last year solely on Cato June. They had much bigger problems up front.

You cant blame the Colts inability to stop the run last year solely on Cato June. They had much bigger problems up front.

agreed. He's a good linebacker. I don't think the Bucs overpaid. It's just the Colts didn't want to spend that kind of money at LB. It's a good pick-up.

Will he be the SLB? It's starting to look that way. Didn't he play there some with the Colts?

Will he be the SLB? It's starting to look that way. Didn't he play there some with the Colts?

It's still unclear where he will play. Brooks might switch over and play SLB and let June play WLB. They also need to find out if Quarles is retiring or not.