[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Takeo Spikes and Kelly Holcomb traded to Philly

piratesownninjas

I like the trade for the Eagles. Walker was a solid player that provided depth at DT, but they upgraded the LB position which has been a weak point of the D and added a nice 3rd string QB in case McNabb isn't 100% and Feeley doesn't play well.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/default.jsp

BIG DEAL! EAGLES GET LB SPIKES

The owners may be away, but that didn't prevent the Eagles from completing a trade Monday night as the team acquired linebacker Takeo Spikes and quarterback Kelly Holcomb from the Bills in exchange for defensive tackle Darwin Walker and a conditional draft pick in 2008. More details to follow .

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I really don't like the deal much. Spikes is entering his 10th NFL season I believe. Holcomb? Who cares? Walker did not have a good season, but was a starter. I think the Eagles need depth at the DL and I don't feel that this is a move of "addition through subtraction."

Edited by fitzkek

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I really don't like the deal much. Spikes is entering his 10th NFL season I believe. Holcomb? Who cares? Walker did not have a good season, but was a starter. I think the Eagles need depth at the DL and I don't feel that this is a move of "addition through subtraction."

I don't like losing Walker either. He did provide depth and if Bunkley or Patterson don't pan out then the Eagles are in trouble. That being said, if they do pan out then this deal helps the Eagles by improving their LBs. They can add DT depth through the draft or FA. You know they weren't going to draft a LB early and I can't see how they could go into the season with starting 2 of Gocong, McCoy, or D. Jones. Like I said, I think alot will depend on Bunkley & Patterson. If they don't work out I don't think having Walker would do much anyway. I would really like them to add a big DT who can help stop the run to rotate in with Bunkley & Patterson. It is a shame they let Hollis Thomas go.

RB is a plug-n-play position compared to others.

OL play can make a crappy RB look good, while a glaring hole in the secondary or DL can make the whole defense look bad.

true, sometimes average RBs can do good depending on the rest of the offense. But the OL can only take them so far. You don't want your RBs hinging on whether or not your O line is playing well.

RB is a plug-n-play position compared to others.

OL play can make a crappy RB look good, while a glaring hole in the secondary or DL can make the whole defense look bad.

McGahee is a crappy runningback... He put up crappy numbers behind that line... Maybe they draft Levi Brown?

It's a good deal for both. The Eagles can gamble on Spikes regaining his pre achilles form as they have less holes on defense, and they need a smart veteran QB(s) to play a game or two if need be. The Bills can now draft a 2nd QB, get stronger along the d-line and continue to acquire picks.

Spikes didn't like the system and bad mouthed the club when they cut Troy Vincent and I believe he asked for a trade. Marv and Jauron are slowly getting guys they like and who like being here.

Draft is going to be good and active. Hall, Lynch, AP through trade or if he falls, or Willis are all possibles.

I think it might be Hall.

I don't like losing Walker either. He did provide depth and if Bunkley or Patterson don't pan out then the Eagles are in trouble. That being said, if they do pan out then this deal helps the Eagles by improving their LBs. They can add DT depth through the draft or FA. You know they weren't going to draft a LB early and I can't see how they could go into the season with starting 2 of Gocong, McCoy, or D. Jones. Like I said, I think alot will depend on Bunkley & Patterson. If they don't work out I don't think having Walker would do much anyway. I would really like them to add a big DT who can help stop the run to rotate in with Bunkley & Patterson. It is a shame they let Hollis Thomas go.

you forgot Gaither :D

I'd love to see a set-up of Gaither/Trotter/Spikes

but we'll likely see Trotter and Gaither alternate with Jones playing the weak side...and Gocong spelling him...

Has anyone seen the conditions and what picks are subject to said conditions?

From philadelphiaeagles.com, Dave Spadaro says:

"The Eagles have had a plan in place, a pre-draft plan, and they went out and executed it. Bringing in Spikes and Holcomb -- Spikes is expected to start at one of the three linebacker spots, and I don't know which one yet (I don't know if the coaching staff truly knows yet), and Holcomb becomes the third quarterback -- at the cost of a solid defensive tackle Darwin Walker (good luck to him) and a 2008 conditional draft pick, reported to be a seventh-round selection, is truly great stuff. "

link

The dropoff from the top LB in the draft (Willis) to the 2nd tiers is greater than the dropoff from the top RBs in the the draft (AP, Lynch, etc...). I think if Willis is there, they grab him. If he isnt drafted by say 8 or 9, I could even see them trading with a team to get him. Theyll draft a RB on day one for sure, but I dont think in round one, unless AP happens to fall.

They could of course pull a rope a dope and do something completely different, but thats what I think will happen.

I like the trade for the Eagles. Walker was a solid player that provided depth at DT, but they upgraded the LB position which has been a weak point of the D and added a nice 3rd string QB in case McNabb isn't 100% and Feeley doesn't play well.

Agree with that - they needed some help at LB and if Spikes returns to form, should be a nice addition for a year or two.

you forgot Gaither :D

I'd love to see a set-up of Gaither/Trotter/Spikes

but we'll likely see Trotter and Gaither alternate with Jones playing the weak side...and Gocong spelling him...

i think what we will see is more likely to be this

WLB Gaither

MLB Trotter

SLB Spikes

Gaither will be the one that is in on the nickle, imo with Spikes and Gocong possibly splitting time in the nickle dependant on situation...i also think there will be times that Spikes and/or Gaither move to the middle to get trotter off the field and Gocong on(especially if he progresses)

but anyway you slice it if spikes can contribute it will be a positive in that it is added depth if trotter is to go down and gives the eagles options even if he doesnt....all in all i think we will see a 4 man rotation at LB with gaither being the one that wont come off the field

fwiw in the final 5 weeks of the season gaither averaged 13.8pts/week*....extrapolated out that would have put him around 220 points(good for top 20)

*scoring used is 2pts/tackle and 1pt/assist