[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LANCE BRIGGS to Washington for #6 overall pick?

Shorttynaz

OK, now that you looked, it also includes the Bears shipping their 1st rounder (#31) to the Redskins as well.. Great deal for the Skins if they can pull it off IMO.

Redskins to make play for Bears' Briggs

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com

Posted: 1 hour ago

PHOENIX - The NFL Owners meeting are in full swing with announcements and committee meetings highlighting the week but it's the deals made on the side that give juice to the week.

One such deal offered Monday night, if it happens, could have major ramifications on two franchises and one franchise player.

Drew Rosenhaus, the agent for Bears' disgruntled Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs, told FOXSports.com that the Redskins informed him Monday that they would like to swing a deal that would send Washington's first-round pick, No. 6 overall, to Chicago for the Bears' first-rounder, No. 31, and Briggs.

When asked about such an offer Redskins owner Dan Snyder confirmed to FOXSports.com that he in fact wanted to make the move and they were waiting to talk to Chicago. In fact, Snyder spent a couple of minutes talking to Briggs, who showed up with Rosenhaus at the meeting.

Snyder and football operations man Vinny Cerato left to find head coach Joe Gibbs regarding the deal. But before leaving Rosenhaus informed Cerato that he in fact spoke with the Bears and they were waiting an official call from the Redskins.

Briggs told FOXSports.com earlier this month that he would never play another down again for the Bears and he was willing to sit out the 2008 season.

Obviously many deals are discussed but fail to come to fruition and this deal could die as well. Both teams seemed to be on the same page but Gibbs also needed to sign off before an official offer was made. Plus, while Snyder said he'd work the deal Washington needs to formally reach out to Chicago and make an official offer. Washington could also in the end decide to change their minds as any trade would entail them getting Briggs signed to a long-term contract.

Edited by Shorttynaz

I responded with this in another thread: What's difficult to believe about this deal is that the Bears have traditionally not allowed players to force their hands, instead they have in the past let the player sit out. Also, Angelo is more the trade down to stash picks type of GM, like in 2003. I'm not sure if he traded up with the Bucs, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't done so with the Bears.

Also, having just signed Archuleta would they trade up for Landry? If not, then who - a sliding Brady Quinn?

Thats what I was trying to figure it out... Possibley trade down for more picks and grab a replacment for Briggs?

I was about to write that. As Pope mentioned, if Angelo is more the type to trade down to accumulate picks, it's a little easier to do with the #6 pick than at #31.

Thats what I was trying to figure it out... Possibley trade down for more picks and grab a replacment for Briggs?

They've got a replacement for Briggs - Jamar Williams, who was drafted last year. CHI has shown that they can plug several players into that position and have them be successful at it, despite those players not having near the success when they move on to other teams.

If they get the 6th pick in the draft, if I were them I'd be looking very carefully at Quinn if he's there - though Lovie has shown that he stubborn to an outrageous degree when he refused to even consider going with Griese over Grossman as he QB until things got completely abyssmal at the position - Landry, or the 2nd WR off the board, which they desperately need.

Knowing the Bears, they'll probably aim for a DE or DT at the position and let their O continue to be blase & mediocre.

There is a chance that Tank gets caught in the same net Pacman gets caught in ... and, if that's the case and they do this deal, CHI may be well served to spend this newly acquired pick on a DT.

If Briggs is really prepared to sit out and then leave next year for nothing, this makes sense for the Bears. #6 is worth a whole heck of a lot more than #31, whether you use it or trade it.

Even if Briggs decides to play to collect his $7m, what will his enthusiasm level be and how will the locker room react? :D

It may pay the Bears to do this trade, though I'd be happier if we could keep the two first rounders somehow, of course.

They are not going to pay Briggs a long term contract for what he is worth, yet they are going to get the #6 overall pick and have to pay that contract with upwards of 10+ million gauranteed? I don't get it...

I would rather have Briggs and the #31 pick.

They are not going to pay Briggs a long term contract for what he is worth, yet they are going to get the #6 overall pick and have to pay that contract with upwards of 10+ million gauranteed? I don't get it...

That $10M guaranteed will be spread over 5-6 years with the rookie contract. The cap hit from that is minimal.

I would rather have Briggs and the #31 pick.

Perhaps the Bears see their OLB as expendable, much like the Broncos see their RBs, or maybe they already have Briggs' replacement on the roster - whereas the 1.06 can be used for a very talented player at any position on the field.

Reading the article certainly implies that Washington wants the deal to happen as described whereas the Bears show an interest in talking. Again, I think it's a long shot because it runs counter to both owner and mgmt approaches. Also, they already have their stockpiled picks: 31 & 37 where they found Danieale Manning (who showed solid promise) and Devin Hester (who should have been rookie of the year) last year, so I think that they think they set for this draft.

If it is for interest in Quinn, then it's a draft day move at best and I don't see him getting past Cleveland at 3, if not taken before. That would prevent it from happening as well. Joe Thomas? That'd be balls. SO that won't happen either. :D

So unless it comes about for picks in NEXT year's first round I'll stick to an earlier prediction: Briggs hold out through most of camp, doesn't get traded, shows up in mid/late August, cracks the starting lineup and pulls a hammy -season over- by week 7. I don't want it to happen, but that's what my spidey sense is tingling on. He'll holdout and never make it into game shape. Mark my words.

Also, having just signed Archuleta would they trade up for Landry? If not, then who - a sliding Brady Quinn?

But that would involve Angelo admitting that he made a mistake in drafting Grossman, so I don't think it's going to happen. And if it does, I take about a lot of what I've said about Angelo in the past.

They've got a replacement for Briggs - Jamar Williams, who was drafted last year. CHI has shown that they can plug several players into that position and have them be successful at it, despite those players not having near the success when they move on to other teams.

If they get the 6th pick in the draft, if I were them I'd be looking very carefully at Quinn if he's there - though Lovie has shown that he stubborn to an outrageous degree when he refused to even consider going with Griese over Grossman as he QB until things got completely abyssmal at the position - Landry, or the 2nd WR off the board, which they desperately need.

Knowing the Bears, they'll probably aim for a DE or DT at the position and let their O continue to be blase & mediocre.

Yup.

Screw Briggs. Watch him go to the Skins and become a mediocre linebacker.

Williams has tons of talent.

I don't think they're drafting a DE or DT that early. Quinn makes sense.

From the other side The Skins moved up to draft McIntosh, let the LB coach go after he didn't play him much even though he looked athletic when he did, and really don't need LB'ers.

S and D line are bigger needs.

The more you think about it the less sense it makes.

That doesn't mean it won't happen, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

From the other side The Skins moved up to draft McIntosh, let the LB coach go after he didn't play him much even though he looked athletic when he did, and really don't need LB'ers.

S and D line are bigger needs.

The more you think about it the less sense it makes.

That doesn't mean it won't happen, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Which means it'll most likely happen, because Snyder is an idiot.

Yup.

Screw Briggs. Watch him go to the Skins and become a mediocre linebacker.

Williams has tons of talent.

I don't think they're drafting a DE or DT that early. Quinn makes sense.

How are you posting on your honeymoon?

Aren't you supposed to be doinking your new bride?

Which means it'll most likely happen, because Snyder is an idiot.

There's the absolutely right answer.

Hasn't this been demonstrated repeatedly again & again? Snyder is completely convinced that not only is he a football man, but that he's a smarter football man than every other owner & GM in the league.

There's the absolutely right answer.

Hasn't this been demonstrated repeatedly again & again? Snyder is completely convinced that not only is he a football man, but that he's a smarter football man than every other owner & GM in the league.

Which echoes a thought I had this morning coming in to work...

Vinny Cerato may be worse at GMing than Matt Millen.

Briggs told FOXSports.com earlier this month that he would never play another down again for the Bears and he was willing to sit out the 2008 season.
I heard on ESPN Radio over lunch that Rosenhaus said Briggs would sit out 10 games but would play the final 6 to count as a full season per NFL rules.

If this deal does happen you are going to see a crazy man on the evening news running into fedex field and killing Snyder.

If the skins trade their 6th over all for Briggs and the 31st then I offically become a ravens fan. I can't take thier crap anymore with how this f'cking team runs their player choices and draft picks.

Oh hey we have the 6th over all pick, why don't we give the cards all of our picks for their water boy and that dead deer they have rotten out back of their training facility. In fact why we are at it, lets pick up a bunch of washed up broken down players and throw millions at them. That way we are sure that we screw up our future with cap hits and can't field a team worth crap.

Watching my team handle their players is like watching a couple of retards f'ck a football.

If this deal does happen you are going to see a crazy man on the evening news running into fedex field and killing Snyder.

If the skins trade their 6th over all for Briggs and the 31st then I offically become a ravens fan. I can't take thier crap anymore with how this f'cking team runs their player choices and draft picks.

Oh hey we have the 6th over all pick, why don't we give the cards all of our picks for their water boy and that dead deer they have rotten out back of their training facility. In fact why we are at it, lets pick up a bunch of washed up broken down players and throw millions at them. That way we are sure that we screw up our future with cap hits and can't field a team worth crap.

Watching my team handle their players is like watching a couple of retards f'ck a football.

Would you consider Briggs to be a top 10 LB? certainly a top 20, no?

He is a proven football talent without any obvious off field issues. The number 6 pick nets you a player that might be a great football player, but that also might be:

Pacman Jones - 6th pick 2005 draft

Troy Williamson - 7th pick 2005 draft

Mike Williams - 10th pick 2005 draft

Robert Gallery - 2nd pick 2004 draft

Reggie Williams - 9th pick 2004 draft

Charles Rogers - 2nd pick 2003 draft

Jonathan Sullivan - 6th pick 2003 draft

Jimmy Kennedy - 12th pick 2003 draft

David Carr - 1st pick 2002 draft

Joey Harrington - 3rd pick 2002 draft

And I am sure there are many others that could be thrown out. All of these players either went higher than 6th or were widely thought of to be at least top 10 talent.

31 is of course more of a risk, but teams still have a very good chance to get good talent there. This seems like a good net for the 'skins...

There is a chance that Tank gets caught in the same net Pacman gets caught in ... and, if that's the case and they do this deal, CHI may be well served to spend this newly acquired pick on a DT.

The Daily Herald reports that the Bears signed defensive tackle Anthony Adams from the San Francisco 49ers to provide depth and protect themselves in the event of a potential league suspension of starter Tank Johnson once he finishes his 120-day jail term. Ian Scott has been talking to the Atlanta Falcons and is expected to depart.

IMO it would be a bad move by the Skins. As was stated earlier they need DL and secondary improvement. Smoot is not the answer and Springs can't stay healthy. They brought in Fletcher-Baker already to strengthen the LB group.

If they want to part ways with the #6, they should try to pick up some draft picks. After the 1st round, they don't pick again until the 5th round. Too much to give away for a LB who will have to rely on a sub-par DL to keep blockers off of him.