[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dre Bly extended by DEN

Bronco Billy

Hey, DEN homers - I don't remember DEN having this much cap space left. With the $16M signing bonus over 5 yrs & even being paid the vet minimum, Bly's got to be a $4M cap hit in 2007.

Does this mean Al Wilson is history in DEN (like he wasn't already with DEN shopping him, although they shopped Trevor Pryce & he played in DEN afterwards when there were no takers)? He is scheduled to make $5.2M in 2007 in salary, $3.65M in 2008, $5.15M in 2009, and $6.8M in 2010, and the 7 year contract he signed in 2004 gave him a $6.5M signing bonus.

That would mean DEN would save $2M against the cap in 2007 by cutting him - but would leave a gaping hole in the middle of their already sputtering D. That $2M with the approximately $2M I thought they had left of their cap space would work out to about Bly's rough-estimate cap hit in 2007.

Edited by Bronco Billy

That would mean DEN would save $2M against the cap in 2007 by cutting him - but would leave a gaping hole in the middle of their already sputtering D.

you mean a hole at SLB, dont you think DJ would easily slide inside :D

Hey, DEN homers - I don't remember DEN having this much cap space left. With the $16M signing bonus over 5 yrs & even being paid the vet minimum, Bly's got to be a $4M cap hit in 2007.

Does this mean Al Wilson is history in DEN (like he wasn't already with DEN shopping him, although they shopped Trevor Pryce & he played in DEN afterwards when there were no takers)? He is scheduled to make $5.2M in 2007 in salary, $3.65M in 2008, $5.15M in 2009, and $6.8M in 2010, and the 7 year contract he signed in 2004 gave him a $6.5M signing bonus.

That would mean DEN would save $2M against the cap in 2007 by cutting him - but would leave a gaping hole in the middle of their already sputtering D. That $2M with the approximately $2M I thought they had left of their cap space would work out to about Bly's rough-estimate cap hit in 2007.

$16 million is not the signing bonus. It's the guaranteed money. Which is only guaranteed if he's on the roster. For example, the actual signing bonus could have been around $8 million. But there are "buy-back" clauses or roster bonuses built in later in the deal. Technically they don't have to spread that money out until after it gets paid.

Are you sure? I thought they signed those two before Smith redid his contract.

link

Smith, who will be 37 in May, restructured his contract March 7 down to a base salary of $1.5 million for the 2007 and 2008 seasons. The new incentive-based deal also covers the 2008 season, the final year of Smith's contract.

link

DENVER (March 5, 2007) -- The Denver Broncos and running back Travis Henry have reached an agreement on a five-year deal with $12 million in guaranteed bonuses.

link

DENVER (March 7, 2007) -- The Denver Broncos have reached an agreement with tight end Daniel Graham on a five-year, $30-million deal that includes $15 million in guaranteed money.

All 3 events occurred within 2 days of each other. I would suspect that if Smith did not agree to restructure that he would have been cut to sign Graham.