[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You Know Buffalo Sucks When...

spain

somebody would rather be in Philadelphia: :D

ursday, 03/29/07

Holcomb relieved to see change of scenery

Ex-MTSU QB had asked Bills to cut or trade him

By ADAM SPARKS

Gannett Tennessee

MURFREESBORO — Kelly Holcomb was not surprised by his trade from the Buffalo Bills to the Philadelphia Eagles earlier this week.

In fact, his move was a bit overdue.

"I actually forced the issue. I was proactive about it," said Holcomb, a former MTSU quarterback. "I didn't see them keeping me, and so I asked for my release two months ago. They wanted to see if they could get something for me, but I didn't think they would. But I understand they've got to do what's best for the Buffalo Bills.

"Now, I hope (going to Philadelphia) will be best for me and my family."

Holcomb, 33, was traded Monday in a three-player deal which also sent Bills linebacker Takeo Spikes to Philadelphia in exchange for Eagles defensive tackle Darwin Walker and a conditional draft pick in 2008.

Philadelphia is Holcomb's fourth team in an 11-year NFL career, with stops in Indianapolis (1996-2000), Cleveland (2001-04) and Buffalo (2005-06).

Holcomb said the Eagles give him an opportunity to win.

"Philadelphia has been a model of consistency. They went to the NFC Championship game a couple of years ago. Last year, they made a run to the playoffs. Philly has a lot of good people."

Eagles set at QB

Holcomb joins starter Donovan McNabb and A.J. Feeley on the Eagles quarterback depth chart. He also steps into a position that underwent plenty of drama last season when veteran backup Jeff Garcia guided the Eagles to the playoffs after McNabb suffered a season-ending knee injury.

Garcia has since signed with Tampa Bay.

"I'm not going to get the keys to the car anymore, and I understand that," said Holcomb, who has 21 career starts.

"I'm kind of in the same situation as Jeff Garcia was, and (Feeley) is probably thinking the same thing. You just want a chance to win, and you never know what's going to happen. To be honest, I'm not worried about if I'll get to play or not. I just want to win ball games, and we'll see what happens."

Holcomb has played in 34 NFL games, passing for 5,401 yards, 37 touchdowns and 37 interceptions.

He did not play last season behind Bills starter J.P. Losman, but Holcomb passed for 1,509 yards, 10 TDs and eight interceptions in 2005 for one of his best NFL seasons.

"I was hoping to get released because then I could have a better opportunity to choose where to go, depending on who was interested," Holcomb said.

"But I understand how things work, and I think I'm going to a good opportunity with Philadelphia because they're used to winning and going to the playoffs."

Family considerations

Holcomb, a Fayetteville native, played at MTSU from 1991-94. He passed for 7,064 career yards (third all-time) and is regarded as one of the Blue Raiders' best all-time quarterbacks.

Holcomb flew to Philadelphia Wednesday morning to meet with the Eagles.

He said his family — including wife Lorie, daughters Kellyn and Jalyn and son Jameson — will stay in Buffalo until the end of the school year before moving to their new NFL home over the summer.

"We'll probably live in Jersey, but they won't move until the end of school in June. Until then, I'll just go back and forth (between Buffalo and Philadelphia)," Holcomb said. "That's the hard part about all this."

, that your family has to pick up and move to another city. But we'll eventually make the move. I don't know much about Philly, but I'm happy to get this next opportunity and hopefully we'll win a lot of ball games."

The notion that Kelly Holcomb forced any trade, is, to say the least, comical. :D Yes those aging third string QB's with questionable arm strength and limited mobility really can hold franchises to the fire.

Trade me or I'm burning all your clipboards... :D

:D:D:tup:

Nice try, Spain. Jackass.

Spain obviously knows nothing about Philly. Probably spouts off the usual cliches about fans booing Santa, etc. However, they are probably the most passionate, knowledgeable fans in America. Eagles games are a religious experience in Philly, as apposed to background music in such places as Washington, New England, etc. The Eagles have won more games than any team in the NFL during the past five or six years. Yeah, this sounds like a terrible place to play. If I were an NFL player, I'd much rather play in Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa, etc. :doh:

What's wrong with Tampa? :D

nothing...it's real clean...but I'm just not sure if it's big enough to be considered a real city...

a few years ago...me and a few drunken friends strolled thru the entire city after midnight looking for soda to mix drinks and we walked thru the city and back......it was amazing how small the city is...

but theres nothing wrong with tampa IMO>..

nothing...it's real clean...but I'm just not sure if it's big enough to be considered a real city...

a few years ago...me and a few drunken friends strolled thru the entire city after midnight looking for soda to mix drinks and we walked thru the city and back......it was amazing how small the city is...

but theres nothing wrong with tampa IMO>..

Census data usually uses the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area. I agree with you, downtown Tampa is small.

Spain obviously knows nothing about Philly. Probably spouts off the usual cliches about fans booing Santa, etc. However, they are probably the most passionate, knowledgeable fans in America. Eagles games are a religious experience in Philly, as apposed to background music in such places as Washington, New England, etc. The Eagles have won more games than any team in the NFL during the past five or six years. Yeah, this sounds like a terrible place to play. If I were an NFL player, I'd much rather play in Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa, etc. :D

Yes, other cities fanbases are actually extremely envious of Philadelphia's sports franchises. I mean the Eagles with their impressive 0 Super Bowl wins, the Phillies and their 1 World Championship that came in 1980, and then you have the Flyers & Sixers, who haven't won anything in ages, and are sporting some of the worst records in their respective sports right now. We are ALL green with envy......... :tup:

Excuse me, the glare from the 5 Steelers Super Bowl rings is hurting my eyes, and I don't want my eyes to hurt, as I am preparing to watch the Penguins, the youngest team in Hockey, roll through the playoffs................ you know the Penguins, they swept all 8 games against the Flyers this year. :D

Spain obviously knows nothing about Philly. Probably spouts off the usual cliches about fans booing Santa, etc. However, they are probably the most passionate, knowledgeable fans in America. Eagles games are a religious experience in Philly, as apposed to background music in such places as Washington, New England, etc. The Eagles have won more games than any team in the NFL during the past five or six years. Yeah, this sounds like a terrible place to play. If I were an NFL player, I'd much rather play in Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa, etc. :D

:D Football is background music in New England? Interesting. How many consecutive sell-outs for the Pats? Oh, that's right 124 and it started in 1994, the year Bob Kraft bought the team. And the Pats have the best record over the last 7 years (don't have the #s over the last 5 or 6), a four game lead on second place Indy.

But besides that, great post! :tup:

Yes, other cities fanbases are actually extremely envious of Philadelphia's sports franchises. I mean the Eagles with their impressive 0 Super Bowl wins, the Phillies and their 1 World Championship that came in 1980, and then you have the Flyers & Sixers, who haven't won anything in ages, and are sporting some of the worst records in their respective sports right now. We are ALL green with envy......... :D

Excuse me, the glare from the 5 Steelers Super Bowl rings is hurting my eyes, and I don't want my eyes to hurt, as I am preparing to watch the Penguins, the youngest team in Hockey, roll through the playoffs................ you know the Penguins, they swept all 8 games against the Flyers this year. :D

yeah...you and 20 other teams can claim that feat....

I don't envy Pittsburgh as a sports town at all....

I respect them as a sports town...but don't envy...

I like having 4 sports...

yeah...you and 20 other teams can claim that feat....

I don't envy Pittsburgh as a sports town at all....

I respect them as a sports town...but don't envy...

I like having 4 sports...

That makes it more sad. Despite having a 4th sport, you are still being completely out-performed by the much, much smaller city on the West side of the state, whom has one less professional sports team. You don't envy us ? You'd rather the Eagles have 0 Lombardi Trophies than 5, and that the Phillies have 1 World Series Title rather than 6 ???? I'll take the winning side of the state, thank you.......... :D

Edited by Menudo

Yes, other cities fanbases are actually extremely envious of Philadelphia's sports franchises. I mean the Eagles with their impressive 0 Super Bowl wins, the Phillies and their 1 World Championship that came in 1980, and then you have the Flyers & Sixers, who haven't won anything in ages, and are sporting some of the worst records in their respective sports right now. We are ALL green with envy......... :D

:D

In addition to all of that, the Philly sports media is brutal. They're arguably worse than the nasty, cynical, self-loathing media in Boston.

Edited by Bill Swerski

HEY! I...I....

Ah, never mind, can't argue those remarks :D

FWIW, the sports media in my home town of Chicago is equally obnoxious (although in a different way). My mother was telling me that there was an article last week (in the Tribune, IIRC) that actually discussed the exercises that Tank Johnson could do in prison to stay in shape during his sentence. The Bears knob-slobbing is off the charts.

And the media in Oregon is too busy attacking Bush and whining about entitlements to care about sports.

That makes it more sad. Despite having a 4th sport, you are still being completely out-performed by the much, much smaller city on the West side of the state, whom has one less professional sports team. You don't envy us ? You'd rather the Eagles have 0 Lombardi Trophies than 5, and that the Phillies have 1 World Series Title rather than 6 ???? I'll take the winning side of the state, thank you.......... :D

I knew you were going to say that...

your baseball teams history is pointless....your hockey team..well who watches hockey, lol...

and basketball team has won and I'm glad they are bad and wish they would be even worse so we could get Durant or Oden...

you have the Steelers....that's fine..

but Pittsburgh as a sports town isn't even on the same planet as Philly...

In addition to all of that, the Philly sports media is brutal. They're arguably worse than the nasty, cynical, self-loathing media in Boston.

yuup...I hate all the hosts on 610 except Gary Cobb and someone else....the rest I hate...

and you know it's sad when Eskin is the bright spot in Philly sports media...

there are few writers I like and most of them try to make something out of nothing 103% of the time..

You did choose "the winning side." And you live on the Eastern side. Might as well root for the Cowboys. I hope the wheels don't fall off of your bandwagon. :D

I knew you were going to say that...

your baseball teams history is pointless....your hockey team..well who watches hockey, lol...

and basketball team has won and I'm glad they are bad and wish they would be even worse so we could get Durant or Oden...

you have the Steelers....that's fine..

but Pittsburgh as a sports town isn't even on the same planet as Philly...

Only Philadelphia fans think they are special, everyone else laughs at them........

You did choose "the winning side." And you live on the Eastern side. Might as well root for the Cowboys. I hope the wheels don't fall off of your bandwagon. :D

I'm on the Eastern side ? I grew up in Lewistown, close to the middle, but, slightly West........

Odd coming from a guy that lives 3.5 hours from Pittsburgh, in the central part of the state.

I guess that economically-depressed side of the state had nothing for you? :D

I live 3.5 hours away now, but, I grew up closer to Pittsburgh, only slightly, but, still..............

P.S. What does where I'm located have to do with who I root for ??? I've been a Pittsburgh fan since birth. In fact, I was born with extreme yellow jaundice, and I had a full head of black hair, so I was literally born black and yellow.......... :D

Edited by Menudo