[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers sign another player

Randall

Their rigorous off season FA spending spree continues. :D

"Packers sign Humphrey

Posted: March 25, 2007

The Green Bay Packers have re-signed exclusive rights free agent tight end Tory Humphrey.

Part of the team's youthful options for replacing departed David Martin, Humphrey was used sparingly last season but is highly regarded by coach Mike McCarthy. Humphrey has been mostly a blocker and special teams player with the Packers, but with Martin gone McCarthy wants to expand his role to see if he can become a reliable receiving threat.

The 6-foot-2, 250-pound Humphrey played in seven games last season and did not catch a pass. He had five special teams tackles.

Humphrey, 24, and 2006 rookie free agent Zac Alcorn are going to be given an opportunity to steal playing time away from starter Bubba Franks and backup Donald Lee.

The 6-foot-2, 250-pound Humphrey played in seven games last season and did not catch a pass. He had five special teams tackles.

Favre must be salivating at his new revceiving threat.

53 tackles is good for a DT

"MILWAUKEE -- The Green Bay Packers have re-signed defensive tackle Colin Cole to a one-year deal, agent Neil Cornrich said Thursday.

Cole played in 15 games for the Packers last season, making 53 tackles with one sack and one forced fumble. Cornrich said the Packers like the 6-foot-1, 315-pound Cole's combination of size and strength.

"As his confidence has increased with playing time, he's got a great future in this league," Cornrich said.

Cornrich said Cole is participating in the Packers' offseason workouts in Green Bay, a voluntary program encouraged by Packers coach Mike McCarthy.

Terms were not released.

Yes, I'd much rather they overpaid for mediocre free agents.

There are more chices than signing medocre FA's to big contracts and signing deep backups as he has done.

I'd like to see them bring in more people and work them out. They don't have to offer large contracts but when you lose more players than you can get in the draft it's hard to re-build.

I prefer Ron Wolf's method to make a lot of moves even though about half didn't work out. Many of those weren't expensive. TT seems to be afraid to make mistakes. You have to be able to take some risks.

For instance it looks like Marco Rivera may be cut due to back problems. I'd bring vets like him in to back up and inluence the young players. Wolf did that with Tootie Robbins(I think) and it helped the team. And he actually played some.

I prefer Ron Wolf's method to make a lot of moves even though about half didn't work out. Many of those weren't expensive. TT seems to be afraid to make mistakes. You have to be able to take some risks.

For instance it looks like Marco Rivera may be cut due to back problems. I'd bring vets like him in to back up and inluence the young players. Wolf did that with Tootie Robbins(I think) and it helped the team. And he actually played some.

Ron Wolf's method pretty much ended as soon as the DL got fully rebuilt - he never signed a premium FA at WR, TE, OL, LB, or DB. Or QB, for that matter. Reggie Cobb came relatively cheap at RB, and none of the WRs he signed were more than stop-gap guys. Keith Jackson and Eugene Robinson came in trades.

IIRC, his main FA acquisitions were Harry Galbreath (slightly overpaid but solid), Reggie White (worth overpaying for), Sean Jones, and Santana Dotson (the latter two I can't recall the contracts - I'm pretty sure they were at or near market value).

Maybe I'm overrating Thompson because he appears at the very least capable of working the draft and making good choices on retaining in-house FAs - both of which are HUGE steps up from the Sherman years. I'd love to see him work the UFA/RFA market better, but at this point, with the young nucleus that has been built, I'll gladly take 2 out of 3 on that score. I think it's also fair to point out that with TT's philosophy, deep backups, drafting well, and keeping your own players are how you build and you don't start overpaying for big-ticket items until you need to fill in the final few pieces - let's put it this way, the Vikes and Redskins have "won" the offseason 2-3 years running; exactly how much has that helped them?

This could be good news. Looks like Barry needs to lose wait or be traded. He may not fit the zone system.

March 30, 2007, 06:47

Packers :: DB

S Underwood Ahead Of Schedule With Knee Rehab

Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel -

Safety Marviel Underwood was having an outstanding training camp last year before tearing his anterior cruciate knee ligament. He is ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation and should be available for training camp. McCarthy said he probably would hold him out of the June workouts just to be safe. "I'll say this: Almost every time I walked through the weight room during the season, he was always in there," McCarthy said. "He's doing very well."

Ron Wolf's method pretty much ended as soon as the DL got fully rebuilt - he never signed a premium FA at WR, TE, OL, LB, or DB. Or QB, for that matter. Reggie Cobb came relatively cheap at RB, and none of the WRs he signed were more than stop-gap guys. Keith Jackson and Eugene Robinson came in trades.

IIRC, his main FA acquisitions were Harry Galbreath (slightly overpaid but solid), Reggie White (worth overpaying for), Sean Jones, and Santana Dotson (the latter two I can't recall the contracts - I'm pretty sure they were at or near market value).

Maybe I'm overrating Thompson because he appears at the very least capable of working the draft and making good choices on retaining in-house FAs - both of which are HUGE steps up from the Sherman years. I'd love to see him work the UFA/RFA market better, but at this point, with the young nucleus that has been built, I'll gladly take 2 out of 3 on that score. I think it's also fair to point out that with TT's philosophy, deep backups, drafting well, and keeping your own players are how you build and you don't start overpaying for big-ticket items until you need to fill in the final few pieces - let's put it this way, the Vikes and Redskins have "won" the offseason 2-3 years running; exactly how much has that helped them?

Gotta agree on all points.

And it's not like TT is TOTALLY unwilling to spend on FAs -- just look at the Woodson signing last year. If anything, most experts were calling that an unwise move, but Woodson proved that wrong.

Keep it up, Teddy. :D

Well, regarding the Vikings, think how much worse even they'd be without having signed guys like Winfield, Pat Williams, Chester Taylor, and Steve Hutchinson. Smoot proved to be a wasted signing though.

Gotta agree on all points.

And it's not like TT is TOTALLY unwilling to spend on FAs -- just look at the Woodson signing last year. If anything, most experts were calling that an unwise move, but Woodson proved that wrong.

Keep it up, Teddy. :D

For now he has. I don't wany him to overspend either. My problem isn't what he's done. I think he's good with the draft, but wish he'd be more active with FA's.

This is the era of the FA. With the draft shortened now to 7 rounds perhaps he'll be more active with college FA's.

But the Packers are probably about 8 or 9 pieces away from being solid everywhere. They need starters at safety, linebacker, halfback, fullback, and tight end. They could use a wide receiver that is a deep threat, a defensive lineman who can replace Pickett or KGB situationally, a 3rd corner, and a quarterback of the future. Any one of those needs could be satisfied with the first round pick. So by signing no one, TT has allowed himself the flexibility of drafting virtually any position in the draft.

Nick Collins is a starter. He made some mental lapses, but I feel confident in him. I also beleive that as long as Marviel Underwood is progressing the way he's reported to be, he'll be the other guy in the secondary. I think he has the potential to be extremley good.

As far as linebackers go, Hawk and Barnett are great, Poppinga turned it on the last month, and Abdul Hodge will eventually be a starter. I think as soon as Barnett is re-signed, he'll move outside and allow Hodge to take over the middle.

Halfback is a hole, but if we land Michael Turner, we're good to go.

And as far as deep threat receivers go, I don't know if you remember this, but Greg Jennings had 10 catches over 20 yards, and two that were over 40 yards... Thats with him being injured half way through the season, and not getting the chance for the ankle to fully recover. Torry Holt played 16 games and only had 14 20+ yard catches, Chad JOhnson only had 16...

Nick Collins is a starter. He made some mental lapses, but I feel confident in him. I also beleive that as long as Marviel Underwood is progressing the way he's reported to be, he'll be the other guy in the secondary. I think he has the potential to be extremley good.

As far as linebackers go, Hawk and Barnett are great, Poppinga turned it on the last month, and Abdul Hodge will eventually be a starter. I think as soon as Barnett is re-signed, he'll move outside and allow Hodge to take over the middle.

Halfback is a hole, but if we land Michael Turner, we're good to go.

And as far as deep threat receivers go, I don't know if you remember this, but Greg Jennings had 10 catches over 20 yards, and two that were over 40 yards... Thats with him being injured half way through the season, and not getting the chance for the ankle to fully recover. Torry Holt played 16 games and only had 14 20+ yard catches, Chad JOhnson only had 16...

Yes the news on Underwood is good. If Barnett gets his contract I hope they can move him to SLB and start Hodge.

Well, regarding the Vikings, think how much worse even they'd be without having signed guys like Winfield, Pat Williams, Chester Taylor, and Steve Hutchinson. Smoot proved to be a wasted signing though.

I'm not saying those guys suck necessarily, but signing "name" FAs hasn't exactly led them to the land of milk and honey.

I guess I'd like to see a team that has been consistently successful in the FA era that has NOT been built internally; I can't really think of one.

I like Abdul Hodge, Brady Poppinga, Marviel Underwood, Colin Cole, Corey Williams, Brandon Miree, Vernand Morency, Noah Herron etc. They all play at least at a mediocre level and are familiar with the Packers system. Teams that win championships start seasons out with players like these as back-ups. Inevitably, injuries will cause a number of back-ups to play. Having players who can come in and at least play at a competent level is a necessity for any team that wants to go deep in the playoffs.

If the Packers only goal is to win 9 or 10 games and keep improving slowly and steadily, then building through the draft and giving the above-mentioned players a chance to start would be the proper route. 10 wins and losing in the first or second round of the playoffs could easily be attained with the current make-up of the Packers. However, if the Packers goal is to try to win the Superbowl, then the Packers need to use their $20 million in cap space and sign or trade for some impact players.

What impact players are available for trade, or were free agents this year? The best guys in FA where lb's and corners, which we're solid at. As far easily winning 10 games, I don't think anyone wins 10 games easily. All you can ask for is a chance in the playoffs... Anything can happen once you get there.