[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packer fans and others...

irish

or will somebody else be brought in via the draft, etc.

03/29 19:55 Packers: McCarthy likes Morency

The News

Packers head coach Mike McCarthy said Thursday that he thinks running back Vernand Morency can be a star. "Do I think Mo can be a 1,000-yard rusher in this league?" McCarthy told the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "Absolutely. But the thing he's going to have to prove to all of us is the durability of doing it for 16 games."

Our View

Morency appears to be clearly ahead of Noah Herron on the depth chart in the minds of the Packers' brass as they head into the NFL Draft and move toward the summer.

After I posted this message this is what came up on my screen. What the hell is this? :D

IPB WARNING [2] mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Unable to save result set (Line: 457 of /ips_kernel/class_db_mysql.php)

There appears to be an error with the database.

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here.

Error Returned

mySQL query error: SELECT * FROM ibf_cache_store WHERE cs_key IN ( 'attachtypes','bbcode','multimod','ranks','profilefields','rss_calendar','rss_export','components','banfilters','settings','group_cache','systemvars','skin_id_cache','forum_cache','moderators','stats','languages' )

SQL error: Out of memory (Needed 162136 bytes)

SQL error code:

Date: Thursday 29th of March 2007 07:51:41 PM

We apologise for any inconvenience

I don't think morency has the skill to be a #1 RB. I see them getting someone to fill the role.

I agree. Perhaps it's spin to give him confidence or tell teams they aren't looking RB in the draft. I think we're entering the draft mis-information zone.

I actually thought Herron looked better in PS but he isn't the man either.

Edited by Randall

I concur with the two above. Morency makes a nice CoP RB and can probably sustain 10-12 touches a game for an extended period. But GB's #1 RB isn't on their roster yet.

I have to think that Marshawn Lynch is the guy they want as their #1. Else they could have already signed Corey Dillon for 15 carries a game and have Dillon and Morency carry the load together.

I have to think that Marshawn Lynch is the guy they want as their #1. Else they could have already signed Corey Dillon for 15 carries a game and have Dillon and Morency carry the load together.

The issue with Lynch is that he may not be there when GB picks. BUF is definitely in the market for a RB, and AD going in the top 4 picks and Lynch to BUF would leave GB seeking option #3. There are still a few RBs that are on the draft board & would fit nicely into GB's system - but I'm guessing that they'll end up picking their RB in round 2 instead of round 1 as previously projected.

Michael Turner

I think a draft day deal gets done.

If this happens, im going streaking through the quad...

After i'm released from jail, im buying a Burner Packers jersey...

I'd trade the no.16 pick for him.

I think he's better than Marshawn Lynch, and unlike Lynch he has zero character issues.

I watched Turner at NIU and still think he is the real deal. Tank may have to shoot him though.

His size and speed is insane. My mind was boggled whenever I saw how late he was drafted. I've had him in every league i've been in since... Now I have him in my auction/dynasy league for 2/1000 draft points. Now there are rumors that he could be going to my team? That would be perfect.

His size and speed is insane. My mind was boggled whenever I saw how late he was drafted. I've had him in every league i've been in since... Now I have him in my auction/dynasy league for 2/1000 draft points. Now there are rumors that he could be going to my team? That would be perfect.

Yeah a guy grabbed him in our league this year while I was still in contention. We keep 2 and I had/have Benson, Addai and Ronnie Brown so I couldn't grab him.

Yep, he's the ideal back for the zone-blocking system. He's runs between the tackles possibly as well as any back in the NFL. And if the asking price is a second-rounder, as has been rumored, then it's a no-brainer.

I would trade our no.1 for him.

I was listening to an NFL Scout today on the local radio. He said that according to the grades that he's given and along with other scouts, there are 14 players that are graded to be first round picks... With us drafting at 16, I think we're just outside of a true first round player.

I just really don't see a huge difference in mid to late first rounder and a mid second rounder this year. As I stated above, i've followed Michael Turner since he was in college. He's got an amzing combination of size, speed, smarts and character. He is a perfect fit in this system, and with this franchise. I think Michael Turner is better now, and will have a better career than Marshawn Lynch. Just as a player, im not sold on Lynch... His numbers didnt wow me, and its not like the pac-10 runs a bunch of formidable defenses out there. On top of that he has character issues, had rape charges that were dismissed, but were brought up none the less, and now there are reports on a bum back.

No thanks. He seems like a headache.

I realize this won't help anybody, but I'm squarely 50/50 on this.

Scenario 1: They've liked Morency a lot since before the trade to get him. He's struggled with injuries, which has frustrated TT and the staff, but they still see enough in him to give him the majority of the 2007 carries. They'll bring in another decent RB as insurance against another injury and to spell him frequently. Morency -- as McCarthy has predicted -- will improve his footwork and timing in the zone scheme. If Morency stays healthy in this scenario, I could see 1350 total yards, along with 9 or 10 total TDs.

Scenario 2: The staff has liked him AS A BACKUP since before they traded for him. However, given his injury issues, they're definitely afraid to make him the primary RB in 2007. With Favre coming back, they want someone a little more proven. Enter Michael Turner. TT lies in the weeds until draft day, then, believing as we do that Turner is a perfect fit, surrenders the equivalent of a 2nd-round pick for him. TT signs the new franchise runner to a 6-year deal, with $12 million guaranteed, averaging $4.5 million per.

The one thing I'm almost CERTAIN of, in either scenario, is that Thompson will not use his 1st-rounder on Lynch -- or any other rookie RB. There will be MUCH better RB value in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.

I'd love to see Turner in Green and Gold. Like many others who've already commented here, I think his size and straight-ahead explosive style would be great in our scheme, behind our not-so-behemoth O-line. My main concern, as I stated in another thread, is that Thompson would never shell out the kind of money it would take to sign Turner, since he's still not "proven."

The one thing I'm almost CERTAIN of, in either scenario, is that Thompson will not use his 1st-rounder on Lynch -- or any other rookie RB. There will be MUCH better RB value in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.

I hope this statment is true. If we don't land Turner, I'd rather take a chance on Pittman or Irons... Use the first rounder on Reggie Nelson if he's there, or Greg Olson... Heck, maybe trade down...

I hope this statment is true. If we don't land Turner, I'd rather take a chance on Pittman or Irons... Use the first rounder on Reggie Nelson if he's there, or Greg Olson... Heck, maybe trade down...

I don't want another TE at 16. Willis? :D

Nelson would be good but will probably be gone. Maybe one of the D inemen will be there.

No punters.

:D

Sure there is. Sell that to dynasty owners who have the 1.04 pick in this year's draft...

Are you kidding? There is great depth at runningback in this years draft...

What has Marshawn Lynch done to show that he merits a first round pick? He sure as hell didnt put up huge numbers against an oh so stout pac-10 defense... Antonio Pittman, Kenny Irons, and Tony Hunt are great values in the 2nd and maybe 3rd rounds...

We're talking Packers football, not fantasy dynasty leagues.

I don't want another TE at 16. Willis? :D

Nelson would be good but will probably be gone. Maybe one of the D inemen will be there.

Willis would be drafting a guy that would just add to one of our strengths. We need to work on our weaknesses... IE a saftey, nickel, tight end, runningback... Those are much bigger in my mind than a lb, wr, or a dl