[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's april(almost)

Randall

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Running back Ricky Williams, exiled for the entire 2006 season because of a fourth violation of the NFL substance abuse policy, has triggered the process that could end his one-year suspension and lead to his reinstatement by the league.

Williams was suspended by the NFL last April 25 and spent last fall playing for the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL.

In advance of the one-year anniversary of the sanctions, Williams has already requested that pertinent reports, including those from the clinician who has monitored his case and from Dr. Lawrence Brown, administrator of the NFL drug program, be forwarded to the league for review by commissioner Roger Goodell, sources told ESPN.com on Saturday. That move ostensibly begins the reinstatement process.

The Miami Dolphins, who hold Williams' contractual rights in the NFL, have offered only generic comments about the veteran tailback and it is not known how first-year coach Cam Cameron feels about the possibility of having him return. General manager Randy Mueller earlier this week told the Miami Herald that Williams' status "hasn't been discussed at all," and that there was "nothing new" to report.

Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, told the Herald that his client is working on a book and wants to return to the league.

"Ricky is in the best shape of his life," Steinberg said. "He's passed all of his drug tests and he's at a place where he's ready to come back to the Dolphins."

The sources who spoke to ESPN.com on Saturday agreed that Williams is in compliance with the terms of his treatment and the aftercare prescribed by the NFL, and that there are no known obstacles that would preclude his comeback. One source said Williams, who is living in Grass Valley, Calif., with his fiancée and their children, is "pretty upbeat and excited" about resuming his NFL career.

Because the NFL handles such matters on a case-by-case basis, it is not known if Williams will have to meet with Goodell as part of the reinstatement process. The commissioner could technically rely, according to precedent, primarily on the reports from the policy's advisors. But given Williams' history, it would not be surprising if Goodell wanted to personally hear from him on the matter of his potential return to the league.

Williams, who will turn 30 in May, has missed two of the past three seasons. He abruptly retired from the Dolphins just before the start of training camp in 2004 and it subsequently was announced that he was subject to a four-game suspension for a repeat violation of the substance-abuse policy. Williams returned for 2005 and, despite serving the four-game suspension, rushed for 743 yards and six touchdowns as the backup to first-round tailback Ronnie Brown that year.

Last February, the league announced that Williams, who has acknowledged problems with Josh Gordon abuse and who has also been treated for social anxiety disorder, had violated the NFL drug policy for a fourth time. In April, league counsel Jeffrey Pash announced that the veteran tailback was suspended for one year.

Williams then signed a CFL contract believed to be worth about $240,000. He played in 11 game for Toronto, rushing for 526 yards and two touchdowns on 109 attempts. He missed nearly two months of the CFL season, however, because of injuries. First, Williams suffered a broken bone in his left arm, then he sustained a laceration to his left Achilles tendon.

A 1999 first-round choice of the New Orleans Saints, and the 1998 Heisman Trophy winner at Texas, Williams has played in 82 regular-season games in the NFL and has started 73 of them. He has carried 1,757 times for 7,097 yards and 47 touchdowns. A workhorse-type back earlier in his career, Williams strung together four straight 1,000-yard seasons (2000-2003), and he posted a career-best 1,853 yards in 2002 after being traded from the Saints to the Dolphins.

Despite appearing in just a dozen games over the past three seasons, the consensus around the NFL is that Williams can still contribute to a team, if he is motivated and in shape. The Dolphins lack depth at tailback and there is no proven backup to Brown on the roster.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't Ricky have to pay back a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus if the NFL doesn't reinstate him? Sounds to me like Ricky cares more about not owing money that he's undoubtedly already spent than playing football again.

I don't know.

He seems pretty sincere.

While he has been a flake he hasn't been a liar as far as I know. If he has actually quit(the NFL has been testing him 3 times a week) I hope he succeeds.

Based on the fact that he's already taken a year off from the NFL to go hit the bong in India.

What a small-minded, idiot comment. Unbelievable, really.

The guy smokes a little ganga (maybe a lot) and took his lumps for it. He plays a year in the CFL, mans up with the wife and kids, stays in shape, and reapplies for the league. Maybe he cares about the money but I just wanted to let you in on a little secret - Ricky and most other professional football players are NOT ONLY playing for the love of the game.

AS a UT fan and watching him grow to be a beast at the pro level, I would love to see Ricky back. I can only hope Ricky has gotten his problems straightened out.

I think he could be a great #2 back for any team in the league. Face it, Ronne Brown didn't do so hot last year without him. He could be a great tutor for Benson in CHI. Cowboys should trade JJ and sign Ricky as a #2 behind Barber. Great bruiser behind LJ.

The possibilities are limitless for Ricky, imho.

The guy smokes a little ganga (maybe a lot) and took his lumps for it. He plays a year in the CFL, mans up with the wife and kids, stays in shape, and reapplies for the league. Maybe he cares about the money but I just wanted to let you in on a little secret - Ricky and most other professional football players are NOT ONLY playing for the love of the game.

AS a UT fan and watching him grow to be a beast at the pro level, I would love to see Ricky back. I can only hope Ricky has gotten his problems straightened out.

I think he could be a great #2 back for any team in the league. Face it, Ronne Brown didn't do so hot last year without him. He could be a great tutor for Benson in CHI. Cowboys should trade JJ and sign Ricky as a #2 behind Barber. Great bruiser behind LJ.

The possibilities are limitless for Ricky, imho.

No offense, but I completely disagree with everything you said. Don't forget, not only did Ricky quit on his team to go smoke the ganga, but after coming back, he tested positive and was suspended for the year. That's two years of contracted service that he owes the Dolphins, either by playing or paying back the money. The Dolphins will NEVER be able to get their money back that he owes them, so what can they do? I say they should try to trade him for whatever they can get, perhaps a draft pick with conditions.

He could be a great tutor for Benson in CHI? Are you kidding me? :tup:

**********DID I JUST GET APRIL FOOLED!! :D:D **************

Edited by Skilly

Based on the fact that he's already taken a year off from the NFL to go hit the bong in India.

Spoken like a guy who has never made a mistake. Firstly - the guy has issues. He has a chemical imbalance. Social Anxiety disorder is real. Anybody who denies it obviously did not see Ricky taking every interview with his helmet on in his first year in the league.

He became a spokesperson for paxil. But paxil made him feel weird. He fell back to an old crutch. With his disorder - I can see where his 'flee' mechanism came in when he left Miami. Some times it is easier to run away from a bad situation than face up to it. This is true for those of us without his disorder. Sometimes one bad decision leads to another.

Smoking herb is a victimless crime. Heck – sometimes I wish more people did. There’s be a lot less tight-assed aholes in the world. His leaving Miami sucked – but again, his condition made for a heck of a flee mechanism. It seems like Miami players have forgiven him. I know I - as a Miami fan - have forgiven him.

He has always been honest to a fault. His candor is refreshing. He is also a guy who really seems to be working hard to become a better person. This seems to be something he puts a lot of energy to - bettering himself. If everybody followed suit, the world would be a better place.

His last hit wasn't for herb - but nor was it for any street drug. It is widely believed to have been for something used in his meditation or holistic lifestyle. It is also believed to be something that was not on any NFL banned substance list.

Whatever the case - he seems like a good man who is trying. Good enough for me. I welcome him back with open arms. No way would I want to trade him. There's no way we could every get a return on his value to us.

So are you saying that Ricky DIDN'T take a year off from the NFL to smoke tree and then rush back to the Dolphins once they threatened to reclaim a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus?

Spoken like a guy who has never made a mistake.

If you define a "mistake" as getting suspended from work after failing several drug tests and fathering several children out of wedlock, then I guess I'm guilty as charged.

Firstly - the guy has issues. He has a chemical imbalance. Social Anxiety disorder is real. Anybody who denies it obviously did not see Ricky taking every interview with his helmet on in his first year in the league.

What does Social Anxiety Disorder have to do with being an irresponsible pothead?

He became a spokesperson for paxil. But paxil made him feel weird.

Then he should've tried Prozac, Zoloft, Cymbalta, etc. The last time I checked, pot hadn't yet been approved by the FDA to treat psychological disorders. And the last time I checked, it was also a controlled substance that is banned by the NFL.

Smoking herb is a victimless crime.

Unless, of course, you're Ricky's kids. They'll never know his father because he's too busy getting stoned out of his mind to raise them.

I'm not saying that Ricky's a bad guy because he smokes way too much tree. The guy obviously has problems well beyond his psychological addition to bud. But I do question his motives for coming back into the league.

Edited by Bill Swerski

He has always been honest to a fault. His candor is refreshing. He is also a guy who really seems to be working hard to become a better person. This seems to be something he puts a lot of energy to - bettering himself. If everybody followed suit, the world would be a better place.

Well said. He seems like someone who never grew up and didn't consider consequences in what he did. From what I've seen his teammates have forgiven him and he hasn't smoked for 2+ years. I hope he makes it back.

According to the CDC 90 million americans have smoked the bush. It is illegal but far more people die from legal drugs like alcohol and tobacco than pot and opther illegal drugs.

Williams, who is living in Grass Valley, Calif.,

Appropriate name of a town to live in. :D Seriously, I hope he has his head on straight this time and gets back into the NFL. Such a great talent would go to waste otherwise.

Appropriate name of a town to live in. :D Seriously, I hope he has his head on straight this time and gets back into the NFL. Such a great talent would go to waste otherwise.

Me too. From everything I have seen he hasn't used pot for 2-3 years and stayed here(didn't go to India) so he could be tested 3 times a week. I heard he was also tested while in Canada.

Besides I miss his presence in the league.

Me too. From everything I have seen he hasn't used pot for 2-3 years and stayed here(didn't go to India) so he could be tested 3 times a week. I heard he was also tested while in Canada.

Besides I miss his presence in the league.

Dude Randall... you sure you're not a Miami fan? You post more Miami article than anyone else on this board. Thanks - its saves me the time - and we could always use another.

FYI - Packers used to be my second favorate team. They're third now - just behind Carolina

Dude Randall... you sure you're not a Miami fan? You post more Miami article than anyone else on this board. Thanks - its saves me the time - and we could always use another.

FYI - Packers used to be my second favorate team. They're third now - just behind Carolina

My brother lives in West Palm, Chambers and Dwayne Wade were both Wisconsin Badgers, Vonnie Holiday was a Packer and I like Ricky Williams. I hope he makes it.

Ricky has screwed up but has taken his lumps without making a lot of lame excuses and I agreed with much of what you said.

Spoken like a guy who has never made a mistake. Firstly - the guy has issues. He has a chemical imbalance. Social Anxiety disorder is real. Anybody who denies it obviously did not see Ricky taking every interview with his helmet on in his first year in the league.

He became a spokesperson for paxil. But paxil made him feel weird. He fell back to an old crutch. With his disorder - I can see where his 'flee' mechanism came in when he left Miami. Some times it is easier to run away from a bad situation than face up to it. This is true for those of us without his disorder. Sometimes one bad decision leads to another.

Smoking herb is a victimless crime. Heck – sometimes I wish more people did. There’s be a lot less tight-assed aholes in the world. His leaving Miami sucked – but again, his condition made for a heck of a flee mechanism. It seems like Miami players have forgiven him. I know I - as a Miami fan - have forgiven him.

His last hit wasn't for herb - but nor was it for any street drug. It is widely believed to have been for something used in his meditation or holistic lifestyle. It is also believed to be something that was not on any NFL banned substance list.

Whatever the case - he seems like a good man who is trying. Good enough for me. I welcome him back with open arms. No way would I want to trade him. There's no way we could every get a return on his value to us.

+1 :D

My brother lives in West Palm, Chambers and Dwayne Wade were both Wisconsin Badgers, Vonnie Holiday was a Packer and I like Ricky Williams. I hope he makes it.

Ricky has screwed up but has taken his lumps without making a lot of lame excuses and I agreed with much of what you said.

I thought Dwayne Wade went to Marquette, which is in Wisconsin, but he wasnt a Badger...

:D:tup:

Don't forget Ricky Williams fast tracked Dave Wannstedt out of Miami. Every black cloud has a silver lining. :D

That was an incredible year. First Ricky then playing in frickin hurricanes.

Don't forget Ricky Williams fast tracked Dave Wannstedt out of Miami. Every black cloud has a silver lining. :D

Only to have that lying bastard Saban come in and march us right into the superbowl. :D

Well said. He seems like someone who never grew up and didn't consider consequences in what he did. From what I've seen his teammates have forgiven him and he hasn't smoked for 2+ years. I hope he makes it back.

According to the CDC 90 million americans have smoked the bush. It is illegal but far more people die from legal drugs like alcohol and tobacco than pot and opther illegal drugs.

My God, the guy has tried. He smoked some grass. Took the time off necessary and instead of dropping the football and becoming a yoga teacher he is coming back to the game. That takes a man with real integrity and heart, imho, to admit mistakes, accept the consequences, and then re-enter the game with full knowledge that he will probably be tested 3 times a week for the rest of his life.

And by the way, Swerski, Paxil and other psychotopic drugs are not necessarily a final solution for chemical imbalances, especially for anxiety which can be regaulated but not elimated with drugs. And you should at least see Ricky's lifestyle choices and know he's not putting a lot of 'roids or amphetamines in his system to "get it up" every weekend. I applaud the guy. Putting down the pipe and stepping into the unkown is HUGH for Ricky. I wish him the best.